Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
I think its more interesting that this year people are attacking the media and saying kids should be getting paid when last year trading your possessions for tats and money were the worst thing any kid could every do.

From what I understand, Thayer Evans has a pretty lengthy record of going after OK State due to his ties to Oklahoma. I'm not sure who was breaking the story about Ohio State a few years ago, but this guy has somewhat unanimously been portrayed as a hack writer.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
From what I understand, Thayer Evans has a pretty lengthy record of going after OK State due to his ties to Oklahoma. I'm not sure who was breaking the story about Ohio State a few years ago, but this guy has somewhat unanimously been portrayed as a hack writer.

Jason Whitlock is the only one who claimed all of the above. He claimed he knew him as a hack because they worked together...at the same company....in completely different states. Dohrman (co-author of the Ok st SI article) was heavily involved in the OSU article last year.

Manziel, the SEC players in the yahoo article. All small ripples with zero momentum. It's comical to me.

jim-tressel-cover-inside.jpg

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2867472:date=Sep 13, 2013 -> 04:42 PM:name=iamshack)-->
QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
<!--quotec-->From what I understand, Thayer Evans has a pretty lengthy record of going after OK State due to his ties to Oklahoma. I'm not sure who was breaking the story about Ohio State a few years ago, but this guy has somewhat unanimously been portrayed as a hack writer.

Jason Whitlock is the only one who claimed all of the above. Dohrman (co-author of the SI article) was heavily involved in the OSU article last year.

Manziel, the SEC players in the yahoo article. All small ripples with zero momentum. It's comical to me.

23covv17_promo.jpg

I've read many, many people, including many of the ex-players he quoted, as saying he tricked and bamboozled them, misquoted them, paraphrased and took their statements out of context, recorded conversations without their permission, initially told them he wanted to talk to them under a completely different premise, etc.

Dohrman, from all accounts, is supposedly an outstanding author, however.

To your point though, Rock, the whole Ohio State crackdown certainly looks more and more ridiculous each and every day, as a result of the Penn State disaster as well as others. And I do believe that the timing hurt...people are tired of this nonsense now because they realize it is becoming all about sensationalizing things all for the sake of making money, rather than any actual desire to improve things, so had the Ohio State story come now as opposed to a few years ago, yes, I agree, it would have received much less condemnation and shock value.

Do you remember SportsByBrooks spending an entire season writing stuff about Alabama and Trent Richardson? SUVs, house, suits and no one would pick up the story.

I wonder which school will be next. Because Yahoo or SI can just pick a school out of a hat and write the same exact articles.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)
Do you remember SportsByBrooks spending an entire season writing stuff about Alabama and Trent Richardson? SUVs, house, suits and no one would pick up the story.

I wonder which school will be next. Because Yahoo or SI can just pick a school out of a hat and write the same exact articles.

That's a guy I just completely forgot about. What the heck happened to him? Haven't heard from him in awhile.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
That's a guy I just completely forgot about. What the heck happened to him? Haven't heard from him in awhile.

He stopped updating a few years ago and stopped taking pics of hot girls before that.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 07:22 PM)
Illinois has absolutely no talent on defense. Not a single defensive lineman on the roster who can shed a block and no team speed.

Does not help they have worst D-Coor in Banks in the Big Ten, he should of been fired end of last year

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
New o-coordinator trying to make chicken dinner out of chicken s*** and not doing a terrible job of it

Yeah, they actually look like a football team when they have the ball. May a conference win actually be in Illinois's future???

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 06:22 PM)
Illinois has absolutely no talent on defense. Not a single defensive lineman on the roster who can shed a block and no team speed.

I like Jonathan Brown a lot. Not too sure about what else they have these days.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 07:22 PM)

Let's not be silly. Browns very talented. Monheim has proven he's a bt linebacker. Kynard has some talent. Bentley too but he's young. Bates shows flashes.

The defense is so young and inexperienced. Not a ton you can do about that right now except play. They are going to give up a lot of yards this year.

Lost to a better, ranked team. Looked respectable and fought. Not sure what you expected.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 09:30 PM)
Yeah, they actually look like a football team when they have the ball. May a conference win actually be in Illinois's future???

Scheelhaase was bad tonight. Def like cubit so far.

No reason they shouldn't have a chance to win win 2-3 bt games.