Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 12:23 AM)
Ha, I don't pull for anyone else in the SEC. They can all get f***ed. But I know what you mean - a lot of SEC fans root for other teams in the conference during bowl season.

Sometimes on here I'll talk about how the SEC is the best conference. Because it is. It's insanely difficult week in, week out. So just because I'll tell you that my conference is better than anyone else's doesn't mean I root for other teams in the SEC. I hate Bama. I hate Florida. I hate Georgia (but that's mainly from living in Atlanta and the number of annoying UGA fans here). I'm indifferent towards the others.

I only root for other Big 10 teams during the non-conference portions of their basketball schedules because that directly benefits Illinois. Otherwise I really don't give a damn if anyone else in the Big 10 wins anything.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
Thomas said this morning he's coming back next year.

Hope Mr.Thomas enjoys 25,000 a game and a empty student section. Reap what you sow fan apathy is all you will harvest in 2014. Hell they will probabaly keep Banks as DC at this point! :snow

Edited by Soxfest

I'm pretty comfortable saying that Pinkel will be at Mizzou. For one, he's getting up there in age. For two, he stayed at toledo for like 10 years, now has been at Mizzou for 13. He just tied our career lead for wins by a coach. If he didn't leave after 2007, I don't see him leaving six years later.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
I'm pretty comfortable saying that Pinkel will be at Mizzou. For one, he's getting up there in age. For two, he stayed at toledo for like 10 years, now has been at Mizzou for 13. He just tied our career lead for wins by a coach. If he didn't leave after 2007, I don't see him leaving six years later.

Well, the SEC title game is kind of the top of the tree right now. It wouldnt make sense. Especially a middling program like Washington.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)
Well, the SEC title game is kind of the top of the tree right now. It wouldnt make sense. Especially a middling program like Washington.

I know, I don't care about Washington. But it did cross my mind with the success in the SEC that we are even more likely to be picked off for coaches. I'm just less concerned about Pinkel ever leaving than losing our Dcoordinator, line coach, or offensive coordinator who really turned us into a nice spread power run offense.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
Why would a coach currently playing for a SEC Championship and a possible spot in the NC game consider going to Washington?

He was there for 12 years as a player and assistant, so he has ties to Seattle. His stock will never be higher, the rest of his division will never be this injured and bad. I don't know if UW can offer him more money than Mizzou, but money talks too.

I'm not saying he should or will leave, but I would think they give him a call and he at least hears them out.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)

Until Neuheisel left in 02, Washington was one of the better football programs. Maybe the thought of returning his old school to glory interests him. He had already accomplished so much at Mizzou. Its not crazy.

In the end he will probably just use the UW job to get more money from Mizzou, like Sumlin just did at A&M.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
He was there for 12 years as a player and assistant, so he has ties to Seattle. His stock will never be higher, the rest of his division will never be this injured and bad. I don't know if UW can offer him more money than Mizzou, but money talks too.

I'm not saying he should or will leave, but I would think they give him a call and he at least hears them out.

Remember when Mizzou and TAMU joined the SEC and never had a chance? Didnt take long to prove that theory completely unjustified. Maybe the rest of the division is just "bad" like you say.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
Until Neuheisel left in 02, Washington was one of the better football programs. Maybe the thought of returning his old school to glory interests him. He had already accomplished so much at Mizzou. Its not crazy.

In the end he will probably just use the UW job to get more money from Mizzou, like Sumlin just did at A&M.

Compared to what? Washington was very good from about 75-92, then 3 bowl wins in 20+ years.

Remember when Mizzou and TAMU joined the SEC and never had a chance? Didnt take long to prove that theory completely unjustified. Maybe the rest of the division is just "bad" like you say.

Mizzou has a much better chance at sustained success than A&M. The East only has one program (Florida) that has had any sustained recent success, and they appear to be on a big downward spiral post-Urban.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
Mizzou has a much better chance at sustained success than A&M. The East only has one program (Florida) that has had any sustained recent success, and they appear to be on a big downward spiral post-Urban.

Its pretty close to the Post-Muschamp rebuilding era

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 09:03 PM)

I do think the SEC teams have made Mizzou better. I think our scheme is better. But I also think that this more proved to me that the recruiting rankings are ridiculous. Mizzou was playing Tennessee and had like 30 less 5 star players. We played injured florida who poor them, had to tap into their 5 deep 4 star players.

Much like with Oklahoma/Texas, just being interested in a player tended to increase their star ranking. Made the rest of the big 12 look worse than it was. SEC recruiting rankings probably overly add to that. BUt I also think it just has a number of the best football schools and toughest stadiums. Every away game is terrifying minus vandy/kentucky (vandy for the stadium, they have a disciplined, good team).

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
I do think the SEC teams have made Mizzou better. I think our scheme is better. But I also think that this more proved to me that the recruiting rankings are ridiculous. Mizzou was playing Tennessee and had like 30 less 5 star players. We played injured florida who poor them, had to tap into their 5 deep 4 star players.

Much like with Oklahoma/Texas, just being interested in a player tended to increase their star ranking. Made the rest of the big 12 look worse than it was. SEC recruiting rankings probably overly add to that. BUt I also think it just has a number of the best football schools and toughest stadiums. Every away game is terrifying minus vandy/kentucky (vandy for the stadium, they have a disciplined, good team).

But can anyone explain Nebraska going to the Big Ten and being average?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 09:20 PM)
But can anyone explain Nebraska going to the Big Ten and being average?

Nebraska's been pretty much what nebraska has been for past decade. If you remove the Suh years, which I'm not sure why you would, it's been solid and uninspiring since Callahan started at least.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
Nebraska's been pretty much what nebraska has been for past decade. If you remove the Suh years, which I'm not sure why you would, it's been solid and uninspiring since Callahan started at least.

Bo Pelini has actually lost 4 games in every season he has coached at Nebraska. Nebraska also has only lost less than 4 games in a season once since 2002. Its been a good but not great program for a long time.