Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 07:44 PM)
Sad thing is Manziel's numbers blow Winston's out of the water and he has 0% chance at repeating.

They do?

3,820 yards passing / 4,013 total yards / 67.9 comp. % / 38 TD pass / 10 INT / 190.1 QB rating / 42 Total TD

3,732 yards passing / 4,418 total yards / 69.1 comp. % / 33 TD pass / 13 INT / 170.4 QB rating / 41 Total TD

I don't know how you can make that claim with a straight face

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 08:25 AM)
They do?

3,820 yards passing / 4,013 total yards / 67.9 comp. % / 38 TD pass / 10 INT / 190.1 QB rating / 42 Total TD

3,732 yards passing / 4,418 total yards / 69.1 comp. % / 33 TD pass / 13 INT / 170.4 QB rating / 41 Total TD

I don't know how you can make that claim with a straight face

they showed a stat during the game comparing Manziel's numbers to Winston's. ESPN was showing 47 total TD's and 5100 yards so after you posted this I went to look at the stats and it looks like ESPN was comparing Winston 2013 vs Manziel 2012. I dont know why ESPN would bother comparing a candidate from this year to a previous year.

With that said, just by looking at the stats then Winston shouldnt be the lock everyone is claiming him to be.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
they showed a stat during the game comparing Manziel's numbers to Winston's. ESPN was showing 47 total TD's and 5100 yards so after you posted this I went to look at the stats and it looks like ESPN was comparing Winston 2013 vs Manziel 2012. I dont know why ESPN would bother comparing a candidate from this year to a previous year.

With that said, just by looking at the stats then Winston shouldnt be the lock everyone is claiming him to be.

Yeah, that is weird. Just ESPN trying to create something out of nothing.

As for the stats, obviously you can't just use them. Manziel played tougher competition but Winston only attempted 25 4th quarter passes all year because he was usually out of the game. He shouldn't be a lock but his numbers are very worthy.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 08:03 AM)

He is a lock because Florida State is the only undefeated team. So often it's about the best player on the best team, not the best player in the whole country. (I'm not saying Winston isn't deserving, but the team aspect plays a huge part in voting)

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 08:27 PM)
One way or another, no way Mack Brown is coaching that team next year. Texas has been out of the national title picture for too long. Pretty much since Vince Young left, right?

He's out. The question is are the rumblings about Saban true?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 09:30 PM)
He's out. The question is are the rumblings about Saban true?

I sure hope so. I think it's just Jimmy Sexton trying to get Saban more money from Bama. But if this is somehow real, I'll be ecstatic. Anything to get him out of the SEC.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)
So that's basically a public admission that "We are a basketball school, football success does not matter", right?

With the co-ordinator, I don't know. Is it the scheme or lack of talent, and is the lack of talent his fault? IMO, bringing a lame duck head coach back is all you need to know about what they think of their programs. No way a basketball coach gets away with that much failure. And if the reason is they don't think they could attract the right guy right now, why is it going to get better with more failure?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
With the co-ordinator, I don't know. Is it the scheme or lack of talent, and is the lack of talent his fault? IMO, bringing a lame duck head coach back is all you need to know about what they think of their programs. No way a basketball coach gets away with that much failure. And if the reason is they don't think they could attract the right guy right now, why is it going to get better with more failure?

This year was mostly about youth and lack of talent. All of the corners that played were either freshmen or sophomores which makes it tough. And then when you factor in that not a single one of the dlinemen who started for Illinois at the beginning of the year (Teko Powell who became a starter part way through the year looks like he will be a solid Big 10 DT) is a Big 10 caliber starter you are going to have a bad defense. There are coaches who obviously would have improved the D but it would have been horrible regardless of who was coaching it. The problem with Banks (and Beckman) is that last years D had a ton of talent and was still pretty bad. Terry Hawthorne, Justin Green, Michael Buchanan, Akeem Spence and Glenn Foster from last year's defense all made NFL rosters and I imagine Jonathan Brown will as well. No excuse for that defense not being better than it was.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 08:27 PM)
One way or another, no way Mack Brown is coaching that team next year. Texas has been out of the national title picture for too long. Pretty much since Vince Young left, right?

They were great until 2009, but couldn't find a QB since then.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 02:27 AM)

Colt McCoy was after Young, but after that nothin.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)

A bit of both, obviously a ton of youth. I would have been fine with Banks going, as the fundamentals/scheming didn't seem to improve.

At this moment in time, he's not a lame duck head coach. If that's your opinion, fine, but as of this moment, MT isn't sitting there figuring out who to hire next year.

If a bball coach inherited the garbage on this year's roster, and showed improvement with it, then yeah, I could see him getting more time.

It takes 3 years, especially with this roster and situation, to see where you are at. Has to make a bowl next year and show a lot of improvement now that a decent amount of the roster is back and older, and will have 2 good qbs to help.

If you fire him now, NO ONE is going to take the job knowing they have 2 years to fix everything, and even if they show improvement in year 2, they are still gone. No coach walks into a situation knowing that now. Good luck selling that. So that's how it gets better, even if there is more failure.

Everything will be determined next year.