Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

She killed herself due to it and the inaction afterwards, so my standards always have death as the worst possible outcome.

Inaction afterwards? She didn't even give it a week. No football player caused anything. It was an unfortunate chain of events that led to a suicide.

How many thousands of times every weekend does a college guy start feeling up a girl to begin to see how far he can get? She pushed him away and he stopped trying to go any farther, just like he is supposed to.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 08:01 PM)
Everyone keeps putting words in my mouth and making s*** up. Tell me where being terrible is acceptable - because I can see the rationale of him getting a 3rd year? Nice leap.

We've discussed how as long as he was here for year 2, you're not firing him for year 1. You're judging your post-year 2 decision on year 2. Considering what we saw in year 2, it's really not hard to comprehend why he has year 3.

I can certainly see the future being brighter next year. Will it for sure? We'll wait to find out.

I'll hope like hell it turns around next year. Not because I give a s*** if Beckman is the coach or not (I've said multiple times I don't think he's the answer), but because it'd be better for the program if I'm wrong and it turns around quicker next year.

Most of you won't admit it, but deep down you hope it's a f***ing tire fire next year so you can just jump on here and say haha told you so Beckman sucks you shouldn't have supported him, etc. You wouldn't know what the f*** to do if they actually won 6 games or looked competent.

No, see the bolded is where I get that you think losing is acceptable. The dude won one f***ing Big Ten game this year, and even then he had to purposefully take a safety at the end just so they wouldn't have a fluke chance of losing at the end. That's how scarce a win is for this program. How is that an improvement over last year? One win is all you need to bring him back another year? I asked you before what you saw that improved this year. Yes, the offense looked better and by all accounts that was Cubit. Nearly everything else was the same or worse.

I'd love it if they were good. But I also fear we're getting back into the Zook scenario WITHOUT the added benefit of creating one of, if not the most talented rosters in the entire conference. He'll just be a lame duck coach year after year because they'll win A game or two, make fans like you happy that they're showing "improvement", but still not recruit well enough to win.

I think next year is going to be the exact same as this year - offense will be good enough to win, the defense won't. They'll be at 4-5 wins. Does he get fired? Who knows. If not, the future still doesn't look good because there isn't much talent there. If he does, we wasted a year of rebuilding.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 02:24 AM)
WTF?

I get that people think I'm an idiot for backing Winston, but what the hell else was he supposed to do? People are going to say and/or think things about him anyway. He handled that incredibly well. If his speech was "all about the incident" then you're hearing what you want to hear.

He brings up the allegations, he's dumb. If he doesn't say a thing about it, he's going to get ripped for ignoring it.

That's ridiculous.

EXACTLY.

That was NOT the time or place to address it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
No, see the bolded is where I get that you think losing is acceptable. The dude won one f***ing Big Ten game this year, and even then he had to purposefully take a safety at the end just so they wouldn't have a fluke chance of losing at the end. That's how scarce a win is for this program. How is that an improvement over last year? One win is all you need to bring him back another year? I asked you before what you saw that improved this year. Yes, the offense looked better and by all accounts that was Cubit. Nearly everything else was the same or worse.

I'd love it if they were good. But I also fear we're getting back into the Zook scenario WITHOUT the added benefit of creating one of, if not the most talented rosters in the entire conference. He'll just be a lame duck coach year after year because they'll win A game or two, make fans like you happy that they're showing "improvement", but still not recruit well enough to win.

I think next year is going to be the exact same as this year - offense will be good enough to win, the defense won't. They'll be at 4-5 wins. Does he get fired? Who knows. If not, the future still doesn't look good because there isn't much talent there. If he does, we wasted a year of rebuilding.

Because last year we weren't competitive in almost any of the BT games, this year we were. Yeah, I know there aren't any moral victories, that's now that I'm saying, but they needed to show improvement and be close, and they were. PSU, IU, NW were all within winnable range. PSU was literally a play away from a W. Offense was night and day. Defense wasn't any good, but we knew that going in due to youth and inexperience. Special teams were a lot better.

I'll say it again - I don't think Beckman is the answer, I really don't. That being said, I see why logically he got a year 3. And I'll root for next year to be great, because I think the long-term health of the program will be better if next year is productive compared to another dumpster fire that results in Beckman being let go.

I think if it's 4-5 wins next year, he's still likely gone. I really believe it's bowl or bust, at least at this point.

Bowl Confidence Picks:

35 Washington State

34 East Carolina

33 Notre Dame

32 Arizona State

31 Texas A&M

30 Alabama

29 Southern Cal

28 Navy

27 UCLA

26 Mississippi State

25 Baylor

24 Oregon

23 Georgia

22 North Texas

21 Buffalo

20 LSU

19 Ball State

18 Bowling Green

17 Washington

16 Mississippi

15 Oregon State

14 Northern Illinois

13 Minnesota

12 Arizona

11 North Carolina

10 Louisville

9 Vanderbilt

8 Missouri

7 Ohio State

6 Marshall

5 Wisconsin

4 Louisiana-Lafayette

3 Kansas State

2 Michigan State

1 Florida State

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
So Beckman was able to pull in 2 of the top 30 JUCO guys, including the #6 rated guy, a d-lineman. That should help next year.

Yeah, I threw it in the recruiting thread, but it should help. I don't know if your tone is joking or not, but it absolutely should help. It sucks we have to rely on JUCO's right now, but it's better to try to fill those gaps and help win games, and hopefully turn that into better 4 year recruits. That's what has to be done for the 2015 class. Also getting Paul James back on board can help down the road.

Obviously, we need all the d-line help we can get at the moment. Stopgap is better than nothing.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
Yeah, I threw it in the recruiting thread, but it should help. I don't know if your tone is joking or not, but it absolutely should help. It sucks we have to rely on JUCO's right now, but it's better to try to fill those gaps and help win games, and hopefully turn that into better 4 year recruits. That's what has to be done for the 2015 class. Also getting Paul James back on board can help down the road.

Obviously, we need all the d-line help we can get at the moment. Stopgap is better than nothing.

No i'm being sincere. Sounds like the guy is going to be raw - started as a WR and then grew like a giant and he's now 6-7, 285.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 07:49 AM)
Bowl Confidence Picks:

35 Washington State

34 East Carolina

33 Notre Dame

32 Arizona State

31 Texas A&M

30 Alabama

29 Southern Cal

28 Navy

27 UCLA

26 Mississippi State

25 Baylor

24 Oregon

23 Georgia

22 North Texas

21 Buffalo

20 LSU

19 Ball State

18 Bowling Green

17 Washington

16 Mississippi

15 Oregon State

14 Northern Illinois

13 Minnesota

12 Arizona

11 North Carolina

10 Louisville

9 Vanderbilt

8 Missouri

7 Ohio State

6 Marshall

5 Wisconsin

4 Louisiana-Lafayette

3 Kansas State

2 Michigan State

1 Florida State

Good start!

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
Ya, we really needed to see NIU in another BCS game. LOL.

They really s*** the bed their last two games. They had a nice run the last two years, it will be tough to replicate what they did

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)

Stewart Mandel @slmandel

Your annual reminder why so many bowls. Little Caesars did a 2.3 overnight. Last year's Big East tournament title game: 2.1.

That's pretty surprising. I realize there wasn't much else on in the way of sports last night, but that was a nothing match-up and I had zero interest in it, where as I'd watch the BE final.