Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
I graduated college and I wasnt a famous football player, thats not really an accomplishment given how little you need to do to not fail out of college. ND is a small private school, way easier to control faculty.

Thats why the low rates are pathetic. Especially since NFL draftees can come back at any time and finish school for FREE.

Basketball is a whole different animal, just pathetic.

Pretty good analysis is here:

http://stanford.scout.com/2/1273612.html

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
There has to be some way for them to graduate 97 percent of players.....

To be honest though, knock them as we will for many things, their APR and grad rate is top notch, only behind NW in terms of D1 programs. Thats pretty awesome.

To be fair, how many schools would suspend their starting QB for the season for an academic issue that wasn't public knowledge?

So you are telling me I can't go to Notre Dame and major in physical education (or some other form of physical fitness)?

I find that incredibly hard to believe. Just like every single school in the country that has an athletics program, there are going to be slack classes and majors. I got a 103% in a summer class that was taught by an idiot and his assistant/wife gave us the answers to the questions on the finals THE DAY OF the final prior to taking it. This was at DI FCS U of South Dakota. You don't think those athletes at schools where sports make more money don't get treatment like that?

No, you can't major in that at physical education or anything of the sort at ND. In fact, there are not even any physical education classes that give credits. All freshmen have to complete a physical education class, but no credit is given toward a diploma. Varsity athletes can use their sport as fulfillment of the PE requirement, so athletes actually don't take and phys ed at all.

All freshmen enter ND into a unit known as the 'First Year of Studies Program"

At the end of your freshman year, you must declare major within one of the four Colleges: Science, Engineering, Business, or Arts & Letters. There may be a few majors in A&L that are less rigorous than most, but every major requires a minimum of two semesters of theology, two semesters of philosophy, one semester of literature-based writing, and one semester of personal experience-based writing. Virtually every class outside of my major (math) had at least one varsity athlete in the class, and I sure as hell didn't have any softball classes.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
To be fair, how many schools would suspend their starting QB for the season for an academic issue that wasn't public knowledge?

not many "Big Time Programs" but lots of other schools nobody cares about.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
No, you can't major in that at physical education or anything of the sort at ND. In fact, there are not even any physical education classes that give credits. All freshmen have to complete a physical education class, but no credit is given toward a diploma. Varsity athletes can use their sport as fulfillment of the PE requirement, so athletes actually don't take and phys ed at all.

At the end of your freshman year, you must declare major within one of the four Colleges: Science, Engineering, Business, or Arts & Letters. There may be a few majors in A&L that are less rigorous than most, but every major requires a minimum of two semesters of theology, two semesters of philosophy, one semester of literature-based writing, and one semester of personal experience-based writing. Virtually every class outside of my major (math) had at least one varsity athlete in the class, and I sure as hell didn't have any softball classes.

That sucks, I took the maximum number of phys ed classes including:

Golf

Horseback riding 1 and 2

Tennis

Hockey

Broomball

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)

I'm also sure Notre Dame doesn't have any "tutors" too.

I'm sorry, I'm reading what you're writing, but I'm not buying it and I never will buy it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
There has to be some way for them to graduate 97 percent of players.....

To be honest though, knock them as we will for many things, their APR and grad rate is top notch, only behind NW in terms of D1 programs. Thats pretty awesome.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, it's an incredible academic institution, but to suggest that "There are no easy academic paths at ND. You can't major in tomahawk chopping or painting with garnet and gold" is absolutely f***ing crazy talk and flat out wrong. It's a holier than thou attitude that is wrong.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
I graduated college and I wasnt a famous football player, thats not really an accomplishment given how little you need to do to not fail out of college. ND is a small private school, way easier to control faculty.

Also this

I'm also sure Notre Dame doesn't have any "tutors" too.

I'm sorry, I'm reading what you're writing, but I'm not buying it and I never will buy it.

Good thing for ND they don't really give a f*** what some random guy in North Dakota does or doesn't buy. It's the truth.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
Thats why the low rates are pathetic. Especially since NFL draftees can come back at any time and finish school for FREE.

Basketball is a whole different animal, just pathetic.

Pretty good analysis is here:

http://stanford.scout.com/2/1273612.html

lol @ Purdue... last on and off of the football field.

Was also surprised to see Wisconsin on the bottom of the basketball list at 40%.

So I heard there's a big time Notre Dame scandal about to break. Is that why we're on this topic and it's already out there? Or did we just happen on it.

Davaris Daniels was suspended for a semester for academic issues. It broke yesterday.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
lol @ Purdue... last on and off of the football field.

Was also surprised to see Wisconsin on the bottom of the basketball list at 40%.

The thing about basketball is if you have 3 players leave for the NBA it makes the percentages look terrible until they finish their degree later on. BBall is a moving target.

There's more to it than him.

That's certainly possible. You only get kicked out of school for a semester after your second offense. There very well could have been others who were a part of whatever went on but if it was their first offense nothing will be made public. Daniels was supposedly involved in whatever got Golson kicked out for a semester but at that time, it was Daniels' first offense so nothing was made public about him.

Edit: If by "more to it" you mean Jerian Grant of the basketball team, his dismissal was announced just after Christmas. I hadn't heard that his and Daniels' issues were related, but that's certainly possible.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
Good thing for ND they don't really give a f*** what some random guy in North Dakota does or doesn't buy. It's the truth.

They also promote the fact that they believe in a mythical figure. If you truly believe in what is taught in some of those "theology" classes, then you may as well believe in Santa and the Easer Bunny as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:42 PM)
The thing about basketball is if you have 3 players leave for the NBA it makes the percentages look terrible until they finish their degree later on. BBall is a moving target.

Has WI lost a lot of guys early? I always thought of them as a four year school.

They also promote the fact that they believe in a mythical figure. If you truly believe in what is taught in some of those "theology" classes, then you may as well believe in Santa and the Easer Bunny as well.

What is taught in theology classes is structures of theological belief systems, the study of which can be very beneficial regardless of whether or not you actually have those belief systems.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)

Eh, well, you may be surprised. They take random guys' opinions from all over the country very seriously.

But, unless you followed those athletes around and knew for certain that they were studying and doing everything on their own and that no professor would ever manipulate their grades and no tutors and assistants ever spoke to these teachers and professors, then I'm still not buying it. I really do hope that Notre Dame cares about this, though.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)

As do many other universities. BUY, St Johns, St Joe's, St Louis, DePaul, Providence, Xavier, Temple, Gonzaga, Santa Clara, Nova, Georgetown, BC, Baylor, Marquette, Seton Hall, etc...

Your belief or disbelief in what they were founded by is pretty irrelevant

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 07:43 PM)
That's certainly possible. You only get kicked out of school for a semester after your second offense. There very well could have been others who were a part of whatever went on but if it was their first offense nothing will be made public. Daniels was supposedly involved in whatever got Golson kicked out for a semester but at that time, it was Daniels' first offense so nothing was made public about him.

Edit: If by "more to it" you mean Jerian Grant of the basketball team, his dismissal was announced just after Christmas. I hadn't heard that his and Daniels' issues were related, but that's certainly possible.

It's not Grant. FB player. I just Googled him and apparently he's also already been dealt with and it's public, sort of. I think it's bigger than these two too but I cant say for certain on that.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
It's funny to me when people like to act like things such as graduation rate or academic performace matter. People watch college athletics for the athletics. They root for who they root for for performance on the field of play. They don't care about how their favorite player is doing in the classroom. They don't care about what he'll be doing after he leaves school. People only pretend to care when it involves another school or if it leads to sanctions against their own. Certainly, alumni want their school to be looked at in as good of a light as possible. But when fans of a school's athletic teams try to act like they actually give two s***s about academics, please. No you don't. It just makes for a convenient little narrative when the opportunity to bash another school presents itself. It reeks of sour grapes every single time.

I do care about my school's academics. But I care about who they recruit. It's one thing to graduate everyone, but if that means a guy like Derrick Rose gets a degree, it, IMO, would devalue my degree from that institution. I think usually the higher graduation rate shows the coaches are actually recruiting students instead of just athletes. While I would love for Iowa to win the National Championship, I'm not so sure I would be thrilled if they did it by hiring a guy like Calipari, and having a roster full of guys who were only there to play basketball.

I think your graduation rate should make a nice recruiting tool if the person actually is actually taking his academics seriously.

It's not the toughest thing to graduate college if you are willing to put in the time, but if you are playing a sport, you do miss classes, and a lot of your time is taken up, but you do get more help than you would if you were a regular student. I think a record of graduating players shows the school does have interest in the student/athlete's long term future, not just how many games they win and how much money they can bring to the school.

Edited by Dick Allen

Eh, well, you may be surprised. They take random guys' opinions from all over the country very seriously.

But, unless you followed those athletes around and knew for certain that they were studying and doing everything on their own and that no professor would ever manipulate their grades and no tutors and assistants ever spoke to these teachers and professors, then I'm still not buying it. I really do hope that Notre Dame cares about this, though.

I'm 100% certain that none of that s*** went on during my years there. I can't be 100% certain about now, but I highly doubt it. If there were professors who were willing to do this, then Golson, Daniels, and Grant would have found their way to those professors instead of the ones who turned them in for cheating.

Notre Dame cares a tremendous amount that their athletes are treated as much like the rest of the students as possible. There are no athletic dorms--the athletes live in the same dorms as the rest of the students. Outside of season, athletes eat their meals in the dining halls with the rest of the students. There are no classes that are open only to athletes.