Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

ITS.

ALMOST.

HERE.

----

Iowa State has sold over 42,000 season tickets for this season. That'd have to be top 25 for preseason season ticket sales, wouldn't it?

Probably. At ND, season tickets are restricted to students, faculty, and full-time staff above a certain level, so it's never anywhere near that figure.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 10:48 PM)
So yeah if there is something to that Rolling Stone article, Urban Meyer will be fired immediately.

I'm sure there is something, look at the history of the Gators while Meyer was there. Meyer's a scumbag.

And now silly on top of it - not allowing media/nfl scouts etc to wear blue to practices. OMG rivalry! Telling grown men what to wear - right.

Edited by IlliniKrush

Ball State just installed a video replay board FINALLY, and our season kicks off in a couple days! I should follow the team more than I do (which is very minimal now that my buddy graduated), but I've heard we are supposed to have our best team since our undefeated regular season 4 years ago. Also, Pete Lembo was voted #1 head coach in NCAA that "you need to know". We saw Brady Hoke had success and then get a huge job in Michigan, so I am wondering if Lembo could have a similar fate if this team gets another bowl game. We were a missed FG away from getting a BCS bowl game last year.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 11:55 PM)
I'm sure there is something, look at the history of the Gators while Meyer was there. Meyer's a scumbag.

And now silly on top of it - not allowing media/nfl scouts etc to wear blue to practices. OMG rivalry! Telling grown men what to wear - right.

Like Tressel, Bruce and Woody before him. Let the media tell you how big of a story it is. I'm sure you have a real issue with Brady Hoke not letting people wear red.

The Gators are on the same arrest pace as they were when Meyer was there, in fact a bit ahead of it at the moment. While at the same time Meyer is punishing his players at OSU well beyond what is industry standard. So it is a Meyer issue or a Florida issue?

The Rolling Stone article said he "may" have covered something up. Poor reporting as pointed out by several folks already. Not sure how you can be fired for one reporters opinion.

The only legit quotes they have really point urban as a scumbag

And (Meyer) tried, God knows, to convert Hernandez; did everything short of an exorcism. “But there’s only so much you can do in three years,” says John Hevesy, Hernandez’s position coach with the Gators and now a coach at Mississippi State.

-----

Meyer brought him in for face-to-face meetings, reading Scripture in his office each morning. He assigned Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, twin All-American linemen, to baby-sit Hernandez, and detailed Tim Tebow, the truest of believers, to be his life instructor. But even Tebow couldn’t save him from himself once Hernandez got a few beers in his system...

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
Manziel suspended for the first 1/2 of the game against Rice.

What the heck is that?

Either he took money and should be suspended, or he did nothing wrong... Why 1/2 a game?

I browsed the ESPN article but I didn't see anything that said why he had a 1/2 game penalty.

If the SEC dished out real punishments, they wouldn't win the national championship every year. Of course their alumni also probably wouldn't go on to commit multiple homicides, but then by that point it's no longer their problem.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
If the SEC dished out real punishments, they wouldn't win the national championship every year. Of course their alumni also probably wouldn't go on to commit multiple homicides, but then by that point it's no longer their problem.

The University of Colorado was in the Big 12 at that point still. Oh, and University of Miami (FL) was in the Big East.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
So whats the violation the led to a half game?

Liucci speculates that Manziel's violation could be a minor one, suggesting bylaw 12.5.2.2, which requires players to "take steps to stop" others making money off them "without the student-athlete’s knowledge or permission." So: a plea deal in everyone's best interests.

http://deadspin.com/reports-johnny-manziel...utes-1216681365

So you are supposed to take steps to stop people from making money off of you without your knowledge or permission.

That's about as bogus as it gets.

Think about that...he is supposed to stop people from making money off of him, EVEN IF HE DOESN'T KNOW THEY ARE MAKING MONEY OFF OF HIM

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)

So you are supposed to take steps to stop people from making money off of you without your knowledge or permission.

Think about that...he is supposed to stop people from making money off of him, EVEN IF HE DOESN'T KNOW THEY ARE MAKING MONEY OFF OF HIM

So how does he stop the NCAA?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
So how does he stop the NCAA?

LOL, the NCAA is such a joke fest. Hell, if I did that in my entrepreneurship class - made $7500 based on an independently created product - I'd be a movie star, and they'd have no problem letting me keep it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)

If he didn't know then he's dumber than I can imagine.

He's signing hundreds of pieces of memorabilia for a known memorabilia salesman, or whatever their correct term is.

And there is 0 chance he didn't get paid for it. I don't believe a kid would spend all that time signing all that crap just out of the goodness of his heart.

But I guess it's what you can prove.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
If he didn't know then he's dumber than I can imagine.

He's signing hundreds of pieces of memorabilia for a known memorabilia salesman, or whatever their correct term is.

And there is 0 chance he didn't get paid for it. I don't believe a kid would spend all that time signing all that crap just out of the goodness of his heart.

But I guess it's what you can prove.

Thousands of items, thousands. Nobody in the world does that for free.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)
Like Tressel, Bruce and Woody before him. Let the media tell you how big of a story it is. I'm sure you have a real issue with Brady Hoke not letting people wear red.

The Gators are on the same arrest pace as they were when Meyer was there, in fact a bit ahead of it at the moment. While at the same time Meyer is punishing his players at OSU well beyond what is industry standard. So it is a Meyer issue or a Florida issue?

The Rolling Stone article said he "may" have covered something up. Poor reporting as pointed out by several folks already. Not sure how you can be fired for one reporters opinion.

The only legit quotes they have really point urban as a scumbag

It's all so incredibly stupid.

I get it, Urban is your coach now, but the guy's a first class dbag.

what a joke. NCAA protecting the SEC once again.

Manziel should either be suspended for games or nothing at all.

Meanwhile, Miami is still waiting on their judgement 2.5 years after the NCAA started their investigation.