Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)
It's all so incredibly stupid.

I get it, Urban is your coach now, but the guy's a first class dbag.

Yeah yeah. I'm sure you've never liked a single OSU coach in your lifetime so its not so hard to believe you feel that way. If you liked him I'm sure he wouldn't have been very successful.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
Yeah yeah. I'm sure you've never liked a single OSU coach in your lifetime so its not so hard to believe you feel that way. If you liked him I'm sure he wouldn't have been very successful.

Didn't like him at Florida, so there's that.

I think Thad Matta is a good coach and not a bad guy, so there's that.

Also beyond far from the only person that thinks this about Urban, and you're well familiar.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)

I have no ties to OSU or Michigan, and I still think Urban Meyer is a 1st class douchenozzle piece of s***. If he was my head coach, I'd think the same, but that is how it goes.

And, those aren't the rules for the entire SEC, just certain teams. South Carolina had to wait months, sit guys out for many games, etc, while waiting on the NCAA to make a decision on whether players getting rack rate on hotel rooms was illegal.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
If he didn't know then he's dumber than I can imagine.

He's signing hundreds of pieces of memorabilia for a known memorabilia salesman, or whatever their correct term is.

And there is 0 chance he didn't get paid for it. I don't believe a kid would spend all that time signing all that crap just out of the goodness of his heart.

But I guess it's what you can prove.

The way the rule is worded leaves for a lot of different interpretations. Texas A&M is selling photos of him while announcing the suspension. He knows about that, so why shouldn't he be suspended further?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
The way the rule is worded leaves for a lot of different interpretations. Texas A&M is selling photos of him while announcing the suspension. He knows about that, so why shouldn't he be suspended further?

You're just trying to be difficult.

That's clearly a different issue, one of which is currently allowed and one which isn't. Now, you may not agree with it, but that's how it currently is.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
You're just trying to be difficult.

That's clearly a different issue, one of which is currently allowed and one which isn't. Now, you may not agree with it, but that's how it currently is.

Then they need to reword the rule.

I would have no problem with this if the NCAA wasn't one of the most hypocritical corporations on the entire face of the planet. True, the players themselves don't have to pay for college, which is awesome, but they still have to pay for their living expenses as well. On top of that, college is more expensive now than it's ever been, yet the NCAA itself showed a $71 million surplus. If you aren't going to pay the athletes that bring in the money, give it back to the students and decrease tuition costs or subsidize educational departments where the country lacks resources or whatever. There are ways they can go about this without coming off like total sleezy, slimy, scumbags. Instead, I think Mark Emmert is doing everything in his power to act exactly LIKE a sleezy, slimy, scumbag.

EDIT: Better yet, if you want to keep it all within the athletic realm of collegiate sports, give out more full time scholarships to gymnastics, track and field, baseball, volleyball. I understand football is where like 95% of the money comes in, but these other sports matter too.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 06:24 AM)
I have no ties to OSU or Michigan, and I still think Urban Meyer is a 1st class douchenozzle piece of s***. If he was my head coach, I'd think the same, but that is how it goes.

And, those aren't the rules for the entire SEC, just certain teams. South Carolina had to wait months, sit guys out for many games, etc, while waiting on the NCAA to make a decision on whether players getting rack rate on hotel rooms was illegal.

Yeah but you are an SC fan. I bet you hate Les Miles and Nick Saban too.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
Do you do CFB fantasy online somewhere? Or does it have to be manually done offline.

CBS Sports is the only "major" website I know that does it online. We used it for the last two seasons, until they wanted to charge us this year. It was pretty reliable, although there was the occasional glitch. Now we do it on a site called FanTrax. We will see how well it works.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
Im quietly optimistic about Wisconsin this year. I think people are going to find out real quick about Gary Andersen.

He's a good coach, but I think switching to the 3-4 defense is going to hurt the Badgers in year 1.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
Then they need to reword the rule.

I would have no problem with this if the NCAA wasn't one of the most hypocritical corporations on the entire face of the planet. True, the players themselves don't have to pay for college, which is awesome, but they still have to pay for their living expenses as well. On top of that, college is more expensive now than it's ever been, yet the NCAA itself showed a $71 million surplus. If you aren't going to pay the athletes that bring in the money, give it back to the students and decrease tuition costs or subsidize educational departments where the country lacks resources or whatever. There are ways they can go about this without coming off like total sleezy, slimy, scumbags. Instead, I think Mark Emmert is doing everything in his power to act exactly LIKE a sleezy, slimy, scumbag.

EDIT: Better yet, if you want to keep it all within the athletic realm of collegiate sports, give out more full time scholarships to gymnastics, track and field, baseball, volleyball. I understand football is where like 95% of the money comes in, but these other sports matter too.

They do have to pay their living expenses, and I do believe the Big 10 has tried to get this amount increased, but other conferences pushed back.

I don't understand why the NCAA should put the surplus into other student's tuition. They are the Athletic Association.

Most of the major schools make all their money on Football and Men's Basketball. They then have to use the money they make there to fund their other programs. How many people pay to go see women's field hockey? I'd bet not enough to fund the team. So that money comes from the money the school makes from Football and Basketball.

They do have to pay their living expenses, and I do believe the Big 10 has tried to get this amount increased, but other conferences pushed back.

I don't understand why the NCAA should put the surplus into other student's tuition. They are the Athletic Association.

Most of the major schools make all their money on Football and Men's Basketball. They then have to use the money they make there to fund their other programs. How many people pay to go see women's field hockey? I'd bet not enough to fund the team. So that money comes from the money the school makes from Football and Basketball.

Yeah, it's hard for the SEC to keep their edge if it becomes legal for everybody else to do what they are already doing.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)

Most public universities will show this budget breakdown if you want to see the money earned vs spent on other sports.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 01:26 PM)

This is actually much more complicated than how you present it here. It's generally believed that the largest programs (Ohio State, Alabama, Texas) do in fact make money on their football teams overall, but the bookkeeping is very complicated because of issues like stadium construction and upkeep which in many places have been paid for out of bonds or construction fees taken out by the state or the school.

For example, I have a giant, 100,000 person stadium sitting outside my window that gets used literally 6 times per year. That's an enormous stadium cost that someone has paid for, and that cost for most schools isn't shown in the yearly net revenue for football teams. The cost of things like workout facilities, offices, buildings on campus that are used by the people, those things are taken up in many cases by being part of the campus.

But, there's a counterpoint also...it's hard to put an exact price on the alumni relations and loyalty that the sports programs bring. They're free marketing for the school, and they're a great way to make alums give money to the school as well. That money doesn't get counted as revenue for the school and the marketing of having millions of people watching a game involving the school is almost impossible to put a dollar amount on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)
This is actually much more complicated than how you present it here. It's generally believed that the largest programs (Ohio State, Alabama, Texas) do in fact make money on their football teams overall, but the bookkeeping is very complicated because of issues like stadium construction and upkeep which in many places have been paid for out of bonds or construction fees taken out by the state or the school.

For example, I have a giant, 100,000 person stadium sitting outside my window that gets used literally 6 times per year. That's an enormous stadium cost that someone has paid for, and that cost for most schools isn't shown in the yearly net revenue for football teams. The cost of things like workout facilities, offices, buildings on campus that are used by the people, those things are taken up in many cases by being part of the campus.

But, there's a counterpoint also...it's hard to put an exact price on the alumni relations and loyalty that the sports programs bring. They're free marketing for the school, and they're a great way to make alums give money to the school as well. That money doesn't get counted as revenue for the school and the marketing of having millions of people watching a game involving the school is almost impossible to put a dollar amount on.

It costs about 150 million to run athletics at Ohio State. Football makes about 50 million and bball about 20 million. If it werent for the donations the overall athletic dept would probably run at a loss. I believe they get more than 20 million in donations/fundraising.

So athletic departments in general consistently run at pretty heavy losses. This is basically what it should be, I think. These programs are there for entertainment, and while people have a tendency to take them too seriously, you are mostly supposed to go and get drunk and have a good time (or whatever).

Yet, during the 2012 fiscal year, the NCAA, in general, turned a $72 million surplus.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)

I don't see how any of that justifies not paying the athletes, though.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/colle...sidies/2142443/

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

OSU made $17mil last year. Most Big10 schools either break even or make a slight profit.

As I stated, typically those numbers do not count the cost of the stadium or bonds on the stadium, which are considered university resources, among the many other things on campus they may use.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
I don't see how any of that justifies not paying the athletes, though.

Wasn't trying to make that case, just wanted to make it clear that these programs aren't necessarily pouring in money when everything is counted.

In some ways it's the Red Queen phenomenon; you have to run as fast as you can just to stay in the same place. If you're a major state school and you don't have a sports program competing in a major conference, you're at a major loss in competing for students because those students grew up watching your competition for 3 hours a week on saturday or filling out their name in the NCAA tournament brackets. That's one of the places where it really counts for these programs; the other is in alumni outreach.