Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 1, 2013 -> 04:10 AM)
I can't even imagine what kind of bulls*** coach would be willing to coach the Illini now

I just don't see any evidence that this guy knows how to coach, though. Hard to feel good about the future of Illini football at this point

I would like Monken but hard to sell that hire when he wins one game this year. After that I dont know. Have to reach on a coordinator. Bring back Koenning.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Backup CB getting burned after an injury to the starter. This reminds me of last year. And of course Cal gets a quick whistle after that fumble when NU desperately needs a break. :angry:

Edit- Woooooooo! Not over!

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Well, worked last time...

NU's O is extremely uninspiring right now (losing Colter really kills their versatility) and the D has been on the field for about 4 days. Mark must be banged up too, not returning kicks and limited touches most of the game.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2013 -> 12:35 AM)
Zoom do you think they can lock up fitzgerald forever?

I think they did already, want to say he has like 10 more years.

And f*** these guys for booing at these injuries. Yes, I'm sure their QB sitting out after two plays and Jones' knee exploding were faking it.

Id seriously consider making him an unprecedented offer and say it will be like Barry Alvarez, he can coach NU until he wants to retire and then he can do whatever he wants. He seems like the type of guy that would go for that.

In other news, Im really excited for Melvin Gordon. Maybe the best pure running back Ive seen at Wisconsin since Ive been following them. And I think Im going to love the Andersen hire, but I never liked Bielema.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 1, 2013 -> 12:54 AM)
Northwestern is winning, but I can't shake the feeling that they're losing. It's like impending doom or something.

It hasn't been pretty. They haven't been able to run the ball and the D got torched a few times after White went in at corner. Don't really care if this holds up though (unless some of these injuries are long term, which Jones probably is).

Mark has to have pulled something too, not having him on kicks is weird and he looks a little slow. To be fair, he's drawing a crowd on the edge though.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2013 -> 01:06 AM)
If I had to buy a program, Id buy Northwestern. Being in the west its going to have legitimate chances to play in the Big10 championship. Theres no reason that it cant be a Stanford type destination for players.

I am slightly encouraged that they have 37 points with minimal contributions from Colter and Mark. Their depth and athleticism seems to be improving significantly. The one downside is that they NEVER seem to be able to put 4 quality defensive backs on the field at the same time. The only legit group that comes to mind was 2009 with McManis/Maybin/Phillips/Peters, and even then they missed some games.

And of course NU has to make it interesting. :bang I have no idea why they chucked it deep twice there.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 1, 2013 -> 01:16 AM)
He already said no to Notre Dame.

I'm fairly confident he'd never go to ND, he really seems to hate them. I really felt good about him sticking around when he declined to interview at Michigan.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 1, 2013 -> 01:14 AM)
I am slightly encouraged that they have 37 points with minimal contributions from Colter and Mark. Their depth and athleticism seems to be improving significantly.

That's the one thing I noticed about this game. NU never would have competed in a game when their starting QB, RB, WR all went down. The depth is impressive comparatively.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 1, 2013 -> 01:16 AM)
He already said no to Notre Dame.

I was thinking more like an SEC job like Auburn. Somewhere that you can win a national title and offers him top tier money.

I watched some of the Northwestern game. Damn NU looks good again. Serious question. I'm assuming NW recruits the Chicago area amazingly well. How come Illini can't build a powerful program just from Chicago Catholic League and Public League kids and some of those studs in suburbia???