Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)

Beckman does not have 1 player recruit even ranked in top 300. The whole class is 2 star Ohio players with no other major college offers. He does not win a Big Ten game he is gone!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
Beckman does not have 1 player recruit even ranked in top 300. The whole class is 2 star Ohio players with no other major college offers. He does not win a Big Ten game he is gone!

You would think considering the AD said he was canning Zook because he couldn't win conference games. It it were basketball, he would probably be gone now, but the people who will actually shell out the money to pay for a new coach are used to bad football teams. They can probably tolerate another year of Beckman before they send him away. It seems obvious he is in over his head.

To me, as an Iowa alum, this is like the Lickliter hire, even though football results take a little longer. You know this isn't going to work out. I think the big problem is ILL is still paying several former coaches. Adding more to that list while can't be too desirable, especially considering they aren't exactly maximizing revenue with the football program.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2883230:date=Oct 27, 2013 -> 12:32 PM:name=Brian)-->
QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
<!--quotec-->The OSU marching band needs to step up their game.

You mean like this?

The Jurassic Park from yesterday was awesome.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)

Good lord.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)
[urseason as justificationttp://www.thechampaignroom.com/2013/10/27/5034484/the-day-aapparently he-solution-isnt-that-easy"]http://www.thechampaignroom.com/2013/10/27...somehow -that-easy[/url]

Terrible article there. I like how the author uses Beckman's ineptitude last season as justification to keep him around a third year. I mean what? Beckman has apparently set the bar incredibly low for himself that not winning Big Ten games is somehow meaningful improvement. That author is suffering from Stockholm syndrome, but even he ultimately agrees Beckman is going to need to go when we dont win another game.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
Terrible article there. I like how the author uses Beckman's ineptitude last season as justification to keep him around a third year. I mean what? Beckman has apparently set the bar incredibly low for himself that not winning Big Ten games is somehow meaningful improvement. That author is suffering from Stockholm syndrome, but even he ultimately agrees Beckman is going to need to go when we dont win another game.

It was actually a great article. Good points besides the fire breathing OMG FIRE THE COACH! people.

Look, I railed Beckman as much as anyone here last year. And yeah, I don't think he's the guy for the long haul. But let's face it. They've improved, which is what we wanted, and minus a f***ing awful half against MSU, it hasn't been clown shoes this year. We have 5 BT games left, so there's a lot to be decided, good or bad. Beckman inherited one terrible football team.

Everyone's flipping out over an awful half yesterday. One half does not a season make. We weren't going to beat Wisky or Nebraska, so what exactly is surprising so far?

If they play dead the rest of the year, like yesterday's 2nd half, fine. But there's way too much football to say he's for sure gone. It couldn't be further from the truth, at this moment in time. To think it's a foregone conclusion is hilarious.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
You would think considering the AD said he was canning Zook because he couldn't win conference games. It it were basketball, he would probably be gone now, but the people who will actually shell out the money to pay for a new coach are used to bad football teams. They can probably tolerate another year of Beckman before they send him away. It seems obvious he is in over his head.

To me, as an Iowa alum, this is like the Lickliter hire, even though football results take a little longer. You know this isn't going to work out. I think the big problem is ILL is still paying several former coaches. Adding more to that list while can't be too desirable, especially considering they aren't exactly maximizing revenue with the football program.

Pay who, exactly?

You likely didn't read what was in the link I posted, but you should. It's not simply "they don't care about football so they'll keep him around." Nonsense.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 11:37 PM)
It was actually a great article. Good points besides the fire breathing OMG FIRE THE COACH! people.

Look, I railed Beckman as much as anyone here last year. And yeah, I don't think he's the guy for the long haul. But let's face it. They've improved, which is what we wanted, and minus a f***ing awful half against MSU, it hasn't been clown shoes this year. We have 5 BT games left, so there's a lot to be decided, good or bad. Beckman inherited one terrible football team.

Everyone's flipping out over an awful half yesterday. One half does not a season make. We weren't going to beat Wisky or Nebraska, so what exactly is surprising so far?

If they play dead the rest of the year, like yesterday's 2nd half, fine. But there's way too much football to say he's for sure gone. It couldn't be further from the truth, at this moment in time. To think it's a foregone conclusion is hilarious.

No, what's hilarious, again, is that people keep citing "improvement" as some sort of reason to keep him around. The guy is maybe a genius, setting the bar so incredibly low for himself and the program that he may actually convince people to keep him around. We are not just losing games, we aren't being remotely competitive against a terrible Big Ten slate. It's really humorous just how bad they are, losing 3 conference games by an average of 28 games. Barring a bowl game appearance(lol), there's zero reason to go forward with who we all know is the wrong guy by now.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)
No, what's hilarious, again, is that people keep citing "improvement" as some sort of reason to keep him around. The guy is maybe a genius, setting the bar so incredibly low for himself and the program that he may actually convince people to keep him around. We are not just losing games, we aren't being remotely competitive against a terrible Big Ten slate. It's really humorous just how bad they are, losing 3 conference games by an average of 28 games. Barring a bowl game appearance(lol), there's zero reason to go forward with who we all know is the wrong guy by now.

No, let's set the bar at the Rose Bowl this year going in, because that's realistic, too.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 06:40 PM)
Pay who, exactly?

You likely didn't read what was in the link I posted, but you should. It's not simply "they don't care about football so they'll keep him around." Nonsense.

They would be paying Beckman not to coach, just like Weber, Zook and the old women's B-ball coach. This guy sucks and they know it. If they actually had a tradition of being any good in football like they do in basketball, a change would be made for sure by the end of the season, if not already. The AD said Zook was fired because he couldn't win conference games. Maybe they can beat Purdue.. 46k at a Homecoming game shows a lack of interest in the program.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 08:18 PM)
There are Beckman supporters out there? :lolhitting

and people called me crazy for supporting Zook

I don't know that there are supporters out there as much as there are just realists looking at the situation and as the article points out, there's no easy answer here.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 08:21 PM)
They would be paying Beckman not to coach, just like Weber, Zook and the old women's B-ball coach. This guy sucks and they know it. If they actually had a tradition of being any good in football like they do in basketball, a change would be made for sure by the end of the season, if not already. The AD said Zook was fired because he couldn't win conference games. Maybe they can beat Purdue.. 46k at a Homecoming game shows a lack of interest in the program.

Yeah, but pay who afterwards?

He was put in a no-win situation with s***ty recruiting from the last few Zook years. I'm not sure what people's expectations were for this season. We knew it'd be a long climb. What we need to see, is actual climbing. Last year wasn't as much about the record as it was how the hell it happened. If we lost every BT game but were in every one and showed improve play, that's climbing. We saw improvement early in the year, and then we saw the play dead 2nd half Saturday. If that continues, I can see the change coming. The last 5 games will tell a lot. There was a ton of improvement, and then one awful half (preceded by one ridiculous play etc). The jury's still out on whether or not he gets year 3.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 09:29 PM)
I don't know that there are supporters out there as much as there are just realists looking at the situation and as the article points out, there's no easy answer here.

Yeah, but pay who afterwards?

He was put in a no-win situation with s***ty recruiting from the last few Zook years. I'm not sure what people's expectations were for this season. We knew it'd be a long climb. What we need to see, is actual climbing. Last year wasn't as much about the record as it was how the hell it happened. If we lost every BT game but were in every one and showed improve play, that's climbing. We saw improvement early in the year, and then we saw the play dead 2nd half Saturday. If that continues, I can see the change coming. The last 5 games will tell a lot. There was a ton of improvement, and then one awful half (preceded by one ridiculous play etc). The jury's still out on whether or not he gets year 3.

They would be paying Beckman plus the new hire. I don't know if they are still paying Zook, but if they are, they would be paying as many coaches as games they win.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)
They would be paying Beckman plus the new hire. I don't know if they are still paying Zook, but if they are, they would be paying as many coaches as games they win.

Not sure if they are still paying him, but good to see that Zook has moved on.

http://www.gatewaybankcfl.com/ocala_contact.html

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)

What I'm saying is, which new coach do we pay afterwards? No one's knocking down doors to come here. It'd be even more of a reach to people than a MAC coach.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 10:21 PM)
What? What he said is 100% true. Beckman is done at Illinois if he can't win a Big Ten game, and rightfully so. He is very likely gone regardless.

I was remarking how terrible that recruiting is.