Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
But we are damn certain that Beckman is a boob and has zero chance of turning this around. That's why you fire him ASAP.

BUT...BUT...KANSAS FIRED TURNER GILL AND HIRED CHARLIE WEIS!!!

Both these terrible blog posts bring up that fact as if it has any meaning whatsoever. Turner Gill was awful, Weis is awful. Alright, who cares? We fire Beckman, the worst we can do is end up where we are now, not winning conference games and not being competitive. If we hire Weis, oh no, who cares. When you figure out you have the wrong guy, it's always best to move on as quickly as possible.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 06:52 AM)
BUT...BUT...KANSAS FIRED TURNER GILL AND HIRED CHARLIE WEIS!!!

Both these terrible blog posts bring up that fact as if it has any meaning whatsoever. Turner Gill was awful, Weis is awful. Alright, who cares? We fire Beckman, the worst we can do is end up where we are now, not winning conference games and not being competitive. If we hire Weis, oh no, who cares. When you figure out you have the wrong guy, it's always best to move on as quickly as possible.

This. If anything, a big part of the reason Illinois football is where its currently at is because of retaining coaches too long. Ron Turner won the Big 10, stopped recruiting and built a MAC level roster that Zook inherited. Zook should have been fired after 2009 when he somehow went 3-9 with a roster with a ton of NFL players and instead Ron Guenther decided to make a coach who's only redeeming quality is his recruiting essentially a figurehead and lame duck which resulted in Ron Turner level recruiting in 2010, 2011 and 2012 (pre-firing) and the fact that we have maybe 4 or 5 players from the 2010 and 2011 classes total that are legitimate Big 10 players. A real program fires Zook in 2009 and the new guy would have inherited a roster with a ton of talent and had a good chance to win right off the bat and build momentum. I hate Ron Guenther so f***ing much.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

Re: Beckman -

Get his ass out of here. And the defensive coordinator too. Keep Cubit, name him interim coach and see how he does for the rest of the season. The offense (generally speaking) has been good. Some play calls have been moronic, but whatever, that's fixable. The defense is terrible, even if it is devoid of talent or experience. Illinois couldn't stop a high school JV team, let alone Big Ten teams. They're not even close to stopping people. The lack of turnovers is mind boggling. The missed tackles and being out of position are unacceptable. And most of that is on the coaching.

The one good thing Zook did (besides bringing in NFL talent and getting a Rose Bowl bid at a mediocre football school) was to provide a proper framework for what it takes to turn around a program: you lose big, you lose close, you win close and then you win big. Beckman has done nothing but lose big for two seasons. There hasn't been much improvement except on one side of the ball. It's not going to work. Get him out of here.

It cracks me up that Thomas is talking about more renovations to memorial stadium. Fans want there to be MORE sitting. For a f***ing homecoming game they couldn't muster 50k fans. It's pathetic. There's zero excitement about the program. It's the same damn cycle every 10 years. Couple of decent seasons where we get duped into thinking everything is turned around, and then back to the cellar. There's no excuse for Illinois not being more middle of the pack in the Big Ten.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
This. If anything, a big part of the reason Illinois football is where its currently at is because of retaining coaches too long. Ron Turner won the Big 10, stopped recruiting and built a MAC level roster that Zook inherited. Zook should have been fired after 2009 when he somehow went 3-9 with a roster with a ton of NFL players and instead Ron Guenther decided to make a coach who's only redeeming quality is his recruiting essentially a figurehead and lame duck which resulted in Ron Turner level recruiting in 2010, 2011 and 2012 (pre-firing) and the fact that we have maybe 4 or 5 players from the 2010 and 2011 classes total that are legitimate Big 10 players. A real program fires Zook in 2009 and the new guy would have inherited a roster with a ton of talent and had a good chance to win right off the bat in build momentum. I hate Ron Guenther so f***ing much.

Agreed.

And I don't get why people don't want Beckman gone. He's just making the program worse. Even if we suck again for another 2 years while someone else rebuilds, at least we're 2 years closer.

Also, it needs to be said - Scheelhaase blows. He puts up great stats but also makes awful f***ing decisions with the ball. He's a 4 year starter and still makes freshman mistakes. He needs to be benched. Might as well see what Bailey has to offer before Lunt gets here.

Well, Tommy Rees looks healthy. 11 of 13, 166 yards, 2 TD. Not bad.

Easy to look healthy against Air Force. Still, the problems with this year's team have been more on defense, which is surprising since almost everybody but Te'o is back, and Te'o was supposedly horribly overrated.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
Agreed.

And I don't get why people don't want Beckman gone. He's just making the program worse. Even if we suck again for another 2 years while someone else rebuilds, at least we're 2 years closer.

Also, it needs to be said - Scheelhaase blows. He puts up great stats but also makes awful f***ing decisions with the ball. He's a 4 year starter and still makes freshman mistakes. He needs to be benched. Might as well see what Bailey has to offer before Lunt gets here.

Illinois needs to hire a coach who doesn't wear a visor.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)
No, what's hilarious, again, is that people keep citing "improvement" as some sort of reason to keep him around. The guy is maybe a genius, setting the bar so incredibly low for himself and the program that he may actually convince people to keep him around. We are not just losing games, we aren't being remotely competitive against a terrible Big Ten slate. It's really humorous just how bad they are, losing 3 conference games by an average of 28 games. Barring a bowl game appearance(lol), there's zero reason to go forward with who we all know is the wrong guy by now.

It seems like there is little choice as a fan but to disengage. The team, the staff, and the program aren't worthy of close attention. I'll check the scores and I might turn the game on if there's absolutely nothing to do. I can't get worked up about Beckman because the program is s*** and I just can't care. No coach could bring us back in any decent span of time. I just don't care anymore. I hope they decide to do a thing and make it fun again. Get another Juice Williams into the program just so I can see how many receivers' fingers (referees and defenders are fine too) he can break or something.

Groce walked into a better situation, but he took it and ran with it. Illinois basketball was such a bummer. While the season was up and down (most will be when you play in the B1G), I hadn't felt so proud to be U of I fan in a long time after that NCAA Tourney game. We played our asses off, maximized the talent on the floor, and arguably deserved a victory. The team was a real team and belonged there. The run in the B1G Tourney was very fun as well. Add the exciting recruitment and I can't wait for basketball to get going.

Illinois football has made a habit of minimizing talent, losing its best recruits to discipline and academic issues, and just generally being a giant disappointment. I'm not f***ing with that anymore. I get enough of it with the Bears, who are much more fun.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
It seems like there is little choice as a fan but to disengage. The team, the staff, and the program aren't worthy of close attention. I'll check the scores and I might turn the game on if there's absolutely nothing to do. I can't get worked up about Beckman because the program is s*** and I just can't care. No coach could bring us back in any decent span of time. I just don't care anymore. I hope they decide to do a thing and make it fun again. Get another Juice Williams into the program just so I can see how many receivers' fingers (referees and defenders are fine too) he can break or something.

Groce walked into a better situation, but he took it and ran with it. Illinois basketball was such a bummer. While the season was up and down (most will be when you play in the B1G), I hadn't felt so proud to be U of I fan in a long time after that NCAA Tourney game. We played our asses off, maximized the talent on the floor, and arguably deserved a victory. The team was a real team and belonged there. The run in the B1G Tourney was very fun as well. Add the exciting recruitment and I can't wait for basketball to get going.

Illinois football has made a habit of minimizing talent, losing its best recruits to discipline and academic issues, and just generally being a giant disappointment. I'm not f***ing with that anymore. I get enough of it with the Bears, who are much more fun.

I've been this way for the last 10 years. I get excited for the season to start and slowly but surely that excitement just fades away. I'll still tune into the games, but as soon as they get down by 10 I'm out.

I really thought the program had made a turn a few years ago when they beat a ranked ASU team at night. That was a great game to be at, one of the best home games probably since the Rose Bowl year. Been nothing but downhill since.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 08:07 AM)
Florida State completely trounces NC State and drops in the BCS poll. I have this feeling of dread that FSU runs the table and sits at 3 because Oregon and Alabama don't lose either.

Won't change next week either if Oregon beat #6 Stanford and we beat #7 Miami. Basically have to hope Stanford or Oregon State can pull off an upset.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
Won't change next week either if Oregon beat #6 Stanford and we beat #7 Miami. Basically have to hope Stanford or Oregon State can pull off an upset.

It doesn't help that Oregon would host the Pac-12 Championship game

I wouldn't worry if I was Fla St. If they win out, people are so intrigued by Winston and wanting to see them play the big game, I'm guessing they'll get pushed in the polls. I would have a hard time believing this year will feature 3-4 undefeateds from major conferences. There's a long way to go.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
I wouldn't worry if I was Fla St. If they win out, people are so intrigued by Winston and wanting to see them play the big game, I'm guessing they'll get pushed in the polls. I would have a hard time believing this year will feature 3-4 undefeateds from major conferences. There's a long way to go.

Was talking to some co-workers and you have to think maybe the playoff comes a year late. What is Bama, FSU, Oregon and OSU all finish undefeated?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 07:05 PM)
I think the most interesting scenario is Ohio State and FSU or Oregon (but not both) go undefeated and the SEC teams all have at least one loss. Does an SEC team get the championship berth over OSU?

No. I don't think Alabama or the SEC has the pull this year. There is no LSU of past, and say the world becomes perfect and Mizzou wins out and beats Alabama, no way they leap 2 undefeateds in major conferences. Add in the fact that it's probably everyones dream to see FSU v. Oregon.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
No. I don't think Alabama or the SEC has the pull this year. There is no LSU of past, and say the world becomes perfect and Mizzou wins out and beats Alabama, no way they leap 2 undefeateds in major conferences. Add in the fact that it's probably everyones dream to see FSU v. Oregon.

Guilty as charged.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)

The SEC wouldn't have the pull to jump over FSU or Oregon but there might be enough pull to jump OSU. I would suspect that OSU would get in but I could see people pushing for Alabama.