Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
The SEC wouldn't have the pull to jump over FSU or Oregon but there might be enough pull to jump OSU. I would suspect that OSU would get in but I could see people pushing for Alabama.

An un defeated OSU with the winning streak and Meyer at the helm isnt going to be jumped by a one loss team. However they also cant jump undefeated teams from the SEC, Pac12 or ACC unless they destroy everyone from here on out and those guys have repeated close games.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SEC wouldn't have the pull to jump over FSU or Oregon but there might be enough pull to jump OSU. I would suspect that OSU would get in but I could see people pushing for Alabama.

Ya I actually think a 1 loss Bama team would jump OSU. That being said, I don't really see Bama losing this year until the championship if FSU or Oregon gets there as well.

Not going to happen.

The 2 conferences with the most BCS games are Big10 and SEC. The 2 conferences with the most money are the big10 and sec.

In no world does an undefeated Big10 or SEC team ever jumped. If it does, Id guess that the NCAA days are numbered.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 08:59 PM)
Ya I actually think a 1 loss Bama team would jump OSU. That being said, I don't really see Bama losing this year until the championship if FSU or Oregon gets there as well.

Honestly, no way. The only examples we have of this are non-bcs cons like TCU, Utah and Boise State. No way a major conference team that's undefeated gets jumped by a 1-loss team unless that 1 loss team lost in the first week adn then beat everyone by 100 pts after that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
Honestly, no way. The only examples we have of this are non-bcs cons like TCU, Utah and Boise State. No way a major conference team that's undefeated gets jumped by a 1-loss team unless that 1 loss team lost in the first week adn then beat everyone by 100 pts after that.

Has there been an undefeated team from a conference as bad as the Big Ten is this year? And with Cal ending up as the worst team in the Pac 12, OSU gets no help from their non-conference schedule

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
Has there been an undefeated team from a conference as bad as the Big Ten is this year? And with Cal ending up as the worst team in the Pac 12, OSU gets no help from their non-conference schedule

As bad as the Big10?

OSU and Wisconsin would challenge for any conference.

I guess the PAC 10 benefits from jobbing Wisconsin?

Not sure why you are so down on OSU.

So with the the Pouncey twins now being looked at in more than just a witness against Aaron Hernandez, I wonder when Yahoo or CNNSI(Miami,Ohio St, OK State,etc) will be coming out with an article about how dirty the Florida program was when it came to covering up things.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 05:06 PM)
So with the the Pouncey twins now being looked at in more than just a witness against Aaron Hernandez, I wonder when Yahoo or CNNSI(Miami,Ohio St, OK State,etc) will be coming out with an article about how dirty the Florida program was when it came to covering up things.

Pfft

ESPN will be re-running an article on OSU and why trading collectibles for tattoos is the worst thing that ever happened in college football. It will then follow that up with a report on why the Big10 is the worst conference ever and has never produced a single NFL player.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
As bad as the Big10?

I agree. It's just that the other ten teams in the conference suck.

Reasons not to fire Tim Beckman:

1. He actually has shown improvement this year. Sure, we've looked exceptionally bad the last few games, but we've also played a lot of the tougher teams on our schedule. With winnable games against PSU, IU, PU, and NU coming up on the schedule, we might just break that ugly losing streak.
  2. Despite our current recruiting class rating poorly, last years class was middle of the pack in the Big Ten, and he's also added Wes Lunt. Unlike Zook, he seems capable of recruiting defensive backs and actual offensive tackles. As an added bonus, he appears to be sitting pretty well with some good 2015 recruits.
  3. Firing Beckman is akin to a self imposed death penalty. We would be completely giving up on this years recruiting class, leaving us with 3/4 of the last recruiting classes as lost. I get that we don't have many/any highly rated recruits right now, but it would only get worse were Beckman to be fired. Nick Saban couldn't come in and win with such a broken program.
  4. We would have to pay yet another coach to be somewhere else. It's hard to say how well we'd be able to pay an incoming hire, but it certainly wouldn't be easier.

I get that everybody wants to fire Beckman because we keep losing, badly. But, if/when Beckman gets fired, I want the next coach to come into a situation where he doesn't have about 10 seniors on the entire three deep. Our most experienced corner (who is currently injured) is a sophomore...

Fire Banks as a sacrificial lamb this year, and see if Beckman can crawl his way to mediocrity. If he can't get there (or beyond in the next year or so), fire him then. Firing him now is just as bad as continuing to employ a "clearly in over his head who can only recruit MAC level coaches and players and get tackled by referees" coach for one more year. We would be guaranteeing ourselves a completely broken program instead of just maybe having one.

Just my opinion. Flame away.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
Reasons not to fire Tim Beckman:

1. He actually has shown improvement this year. Sure, we've looked exceptionally bad the last few games, but we've also played a lot of the tougher teams on our schedule. With winnable games against PSU, IU, PU, and NU coming up on the schedule, we might just break that ugly losing streak.
  2. Despite our current recruiting class rating poorly, last years class was middle of the pack in the Big Ten, and he's also added Wes Lunt. Unlike Zook, he seems capable of recruiting defensive backs and actual offensive tackles. As an added bonus, he appears to be sitting pretty well with some good 2015 recruits.
  3. Firing Beckman is akin to a self imposed death penalty. We would be completely giving up on this years recruiting class, leaving us with 3/4 of the last recruiting classes as lost. I get that we don't have many/any highly rated recruits right now, but it would only get worse were Beckman to be fired. Nick Saban couldn't come in and win with such a broken program.
  4. We would have to pay yet another coach to be somewhere else. It's hard to say how well we'd be able to pay an incoming hire, but it certainly wouldn't be easier.

I get that everybody wants to fire Beckman because we keep losing, badly. But, if/when Beckman gets fired, I want the next coach to come into a situation where he doesn't have about 10 seniors on the entire three deep. Our most experienced corner (who is currently injured) is a sophomore...

Fire Banks as a sacrificial lamb this year, and see if Beckman can crawl his way to mediocrity. If he can't get there (or beyond in the next year or so), fire him then. Firing him now is just as bad as continuing to employ a "clearly in over his head who can only recruit MAC level coaches and players and get tackled by referees" coach for one more year. We would be guaranteeing ourselves a completely broken program instead of just maybe having one.

Just my opinion. Flame away.

1. Stop saying this. Stop, stop, stop. It's absolutely meaningless when he's the one responsible for setting the bar so incredibly low.

2. You know it's bad when the only actual defense of him is one mediocre class. And this cant possibly hold up when everyone knows he's a lame duck coach. See: Zook, Ron.

3. No, a death sentence is hanging onto a coach too long when it's clearly time to move on. Every Illinois fan should know this by now.

4. Who cares? We won't be paying Zook and Beckman's buyout is cheap. Not to mention with Beckman at the helm, excitement and revenues have to be at an extreme low to the point where it makes financial sense to hire someone else.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 06:44 AM)
1. Stop saying this. Stop, stop, stop. It's absolutely meaningless when he's the one responsible for setting the bar so incredibly low.

2. You know it's bad when the only actual defense of him is one mediocre class. And this cant possibly hold up when everyone knows he's a lame duck coach. See: Zook, Ron.

3. No, a death sentence is hanging onto a coach too long when it's clearly time to move on. Every Illinois fan should know this by now.

4. Who cares? We won't be paying Zook and Beckman's buyout is cheap. Not to mention with Beckman at the helm, excitement and revenues have to be at an extreme low to the point where it makes financial sense to hire someone else.

Agreed. The only caveat is you have to find a coach that is (1) good at the X's and O's, (2) can recruit the midwest (most important), and (3) is ok with a rebuilding project. I just don't know if that guy is out there. It's a much easier sell to bring in a guy to take over a middle of the pack big ten team.

Oh right, we should have done that in 2009. Sigh.

Stop saying this. It's not meaningless. What exactly were your expectations coming into this season? Record, etc?

We've played 3 BT games, all of which we knew we'd lose. Were your expectations to win those?

Everything depends on what happens in these next 5 games, 4 of which we should be competitive.

Zook in 2009 and Beckman right now aren't really comparable situations. My main point is that I want our next coach to believe he's going to get time to fix a bad situation and actually be put in a situation where he can succeed, should Beckman prove beyond all reasonable doubt that he can't move the program further.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
Zook in 2009 and Beckman right now aren't really comparable situations. My main point is that I want our next coach to believe he's going to get time to fix a bad situation and actually be put in a situation where he can succeed, should Beckman prove beyond all reasonable doubt that he can't move the program further.

Done. That's why he needs to go. Just admit it was a bad hire and move on.

QUOTE ('IlliniKrush' date='Oct 29 @ 2013 -> 04:29 PM' post='2883872')
Stop saying this. It's not meaninglIt's . What exactly were your expectations coming into this seasomething Record, etc?

We've played 3 BT games, all of which we knew lose. Were your expectations to win those?

Everything depends on what happens in these next 5 games, 4 of which we should be competitive.

Yes, it is absolutely meaningless. Improving on a 2-10 team that should never have been 2-10 is meaningless. It's not an argument for Beckman and your followup questions are asking something different.

My expectations were to be a remotely competitive team in a terrible Big Ten. We've since gone 0-3 losing on average by 28 points. Wow.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Yes, it is absolutely meaningless. Improving on a 2-10 team that should never have been 2-10 is meaningless. It's not an argument for Beckman and your followup questions are asking something different.

My expectations were to be a remotely competitive team in a terrible Big Ten. We've since gone 0-3 losing on average by 28 points. Wow.

We've played 3 of 8 games. This next stretch determines everything.

You're stuck on last year. That's fine, but it's not the reality of the situation.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)

Prior to the respectable start this is basically exactly what I was expecting actually. This team is easily the least talented team in the Big 10 other than Purdue. If Beckman would have had a decent season last year and recruiting hadn't fallen apart after the disastrous season this year wouldn't even bother me. This year was always going to be an absolute joke because of Zook's last few years of recruiting. The defense struggling as much as it did last year despite having 5 NFL players was simply inexcusable. And while the offense didn't have any talent the coaching on that side of the ball was also horrendous.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
Done. That's why he needs to go. Just admit it was a bad hire and move on.

Firing Beckman doesn't just magically fix the program. There's a reason Sumlin turned us down last coaching search, and it's not that we didn't have enough money. Firing Beckman can actually make things worse instead of better. We may be forced to fire him if he doesn't win a another game, but let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
Firing Beckman doesn't just magically fix the program. There's a reason Sumlin turned us down last coaching search, and it's not that we didn't have enough money. Firing Beckman can actually make things worse instead of better. We may be forced to fire him if he doesn't win a another game, but let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

No it does not but Beckman/Banks are not even rank amateurs. FIRE them.

Pathetic:

http://deadspin.com/illinois-qbs-father-ba...rest-1454218031

Nathan Creer, the father of Illinois starting quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase has been banned from campus for a year after being involved in a drunken fight at Saturday's game.

During the 42-3 homecoming loss to Michigan State, campus police responded to a report of a fight in the stands involving about 10 people. It apparently started when one person accidentally bumped another, and things escalated.

"From what I heard, somebody was intoxicated, words were exchanged, swings were exchanged. We got the parties separated. Some calmed down and went along with the program. Some did not," [deputy police chief Skip] Frost said.

Creer was one of those who did not. While being questioned by police, Creer allegedly tried to pull away from an officer, earning himself a trip to jail. He was charged with resisting arrest and released after posting bond.

As per school policy, Creer was banned from campus for a year. That includes Memorial Stadium, which means pop will miss the final two home games of Scheelhaase's college career.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
As bad as the Big10?

Come on now.