Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iowa has to take the ball to start the second half, but if I'm Wisconsin, I would let them have the wind so you have it in the 4th quarter. It is going to take a takeaway or 2 to get more than one score in a quarter against the wind. If you hold on in the 3rd, you are golden. If you are down a score or even 2, you have the wind in the 4th.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
Why not make it a 1 point game when you're clearly outmatched upfront in a short yardage situation? Whatever, I'm not even mad, let Beckman keep losing games...

Why kick a field goal when you can throw to two different receivers diving at the same spot?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
Tim Beckmand and staff have to have the record for most sideline interference calls, right? I didn't know it was a rule until we got that moron for a coach.

Those penalties alone are reason enough to fire him.

ILLINI ball!

Lol at Illinois football. Please fire Beckman tomorrow. 3rd and long and PSU has to throw and you have your two incredibly slow LBs on the field in coverage? Just awful. And lol at that throw by Scheelhaase. 4 year starter who still makes ridiculously stupid decisions all the time.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
Lol at Illinois football. Please fire Beckman tomorrow. 3rd and long and PSU has to throw and you have your two incredibly slow LBs on the field in coverage? Just awful. And lol at that throw by Scheelhaase. 4 year starter who still makes ridiculously stupid decisions all the time.

Abysmal play calling and game management after that PSU fumble. Still think firing Beckman is a bad idea right now even if he isn't the answer long term.

Classic Scheelhaase.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
Abysmal play calling and game management after that PSU fumble. Still think firing Beckman is a bad idea right now even if he isn't the answer long term.

Classic Scheelhaase.

Again, once you know you have the wrong coach get rid of him as quick as possible. There are good coaches all over the place, go out and find one. And you don't have to look in traditional places. Go find the most innovative offensive coach in FCS and bring him in.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
Again, once you know you have the wrong coach get rid of him as quick as possible. There are good coaches all over the place, go out and find one. And you don't have to look in traditional places. Go find the most innovative offensive coach in FCS and bring him in.

I wouldn't be entirely opposed to getting another coach. I just wonder who would want to take on an all but shattered program, and perhaps more importantly would I even want them as a head coach? I mean we're definitely not in better shape than we were last coaching search, and we didn't exactly get our pick of the litter. I think Beckman can get us to mediocre, or at least on the path to it, given one more year.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
I wouldn't be entirely opposed to getting another coach. I just wonder who would want to take on an all but shattered program, and perhaps more importantly would I even want them as a head coach? I mean we're definitely not in better shape than we were last coaching search, and we didn't exactly get our pick of the litter. I think Beckman can get us to mediocre, or at least on the path to it, given one more year.

What makes you think it will get better and not worse? The recruiting hasn't exactly been good.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)

Tons of coaches at the FCS level would take this job. You think guys like the North Dakota St. coach who has built a dominant program at that level are going to pass up 4 or 5 times their current salary? Sure, you might have someone do that but you offer a guy making $200 OR $300 1.5 million and they are going to take it. How about Dino Babers from Eastern Illinois? He is black which would take care of the issue that Illinois has never had a black head coach for football and basketball, he coached under Art Briles at Baylor and his offense is scoring an incredible amount of points right now. Illinois' best bet is to find an innovative offensive mind. You don't need to hire a guy who is currently a head coach at the FBS level to find that guy.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

The other thing to consider is Mike Thomas has made 5 hires at the BCS level. Mick Cronin, Brian Kelly, Butch Jones, John Groce and Beckman. It is early with Groce but he clearly looks like at least a solid hire and that was a potential home run. Brian Kelly and Butch Jones were obviously grand slam hires for Cincinnati. Cronin has been solid. He clearly knows how to hire successful coaches and just happened to blow it with Beckman after his top choice fell through. It happens.