Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

Clemson was thought of so highly after beating Georgia to open the season.

Georgia and the SEC has since proven to be decent at best.

FSU is always an ESPN favorite from the early days, they, like Notre Dame are programs that fans seem to get behind and are pumped up by ESPN.

I am not certain why OSU is now treated the way they are as I would think they would be getting the publicity they get. I suppose it is because the the Big Ten is just not that highly thought of.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
Like every team in the country. Show me one top 5 team that hasnt lost a serious impact player at this point.

Northwestern does not get deep enough talent to overcome injuries, it will always be their story. This is the case in most schools that are not in the top 15 recruiting classes annually. You can not win a football game if you are not talented enough. You do not have the goalie to stand on their head, the pitcher or point guard to carry the team. You need deep talent and then coaching or hope like hell you stay very healthy. This is why NU starts out good and then tappers off annually.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
Clemson was thought of so highly after beating Georgia to open the season.

Georgia and the SEC has since proven to be decent at best.

FSU is always an ESPN favorite from the early days, they, like Notre Dame are programs that fans seem to get behind and are pumped up by ESPN.

I am not certain why OSU is now treated the way they are as I would think they would be getting the publicity they get. I suppose it is because the the Big Ten is just not that highly thought of.

That and the blowout loss to Florida as well as the loss to LSU. Even beating Oregon and Arkansas in BCS bowls didnt help.

What many media members are forgetting is that coach who kicked the s*** out of the Buckeyes is now on their sideline.

ND is kind of facing some of that now as they were hyped like crazy last year and got their doors blown off. For the next several years people are going to be skeptical of them when they are good.

Still a long season ahead though. Crazy losses happen and I think its always a threat as the season wears into Nov.

Every team faces injuries, yes. Some programs can overcome them with their deep bench of 5-star talent. Doesn't mean that beating a team with their largely healthy playmakers may be a more important victory than that same team 4 weeks later with many injuries to their playmakers.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)

The B1G is awful and they haven't played anybody. That's pretty much the reason. Similar to when Boise couldn't get love in the BCS even though they would start the season off with a big OOC win (like UGA, Va tech, or Oregon). Is the B1G stronger than the MWC? Probably, but it still looks like one of the weakest power conferences.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)
The B1G is awful and they haven't played anybody. That's pretty much the reason. Similar to when Boise couldn't get love in the BCS even though they would start the season off with a big OOC win (like UGA, Va tech, or Oregon). Is the B1G stronger than the MWC? Probably, but it still looks like one of the weakest power conferences.

And it doesn't help that OSU's one BCS out of conference opponent turned out to be the worst team in the Pac-12.

The Big is awful because that is what ESPN tells you.

Havent played anybody?

Alabama has played 0 ranked OOC games.

FSU 0 ranked OOC games

Its impossible to tell how good any of these teams are. But OSU hasnt lost in 2 years, and that should mean something.

Probably? LOL.

The #1 team in the Pac lost to 4-4 Utah.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
The Big is awful because that is what ESPN tells you.

Havent played anybody?

Alabama has played 0 ranked OOC games.

FSU 0 ranked OOC games

Its impossible to tell how good any of these teams are. But OSU hasnt lost in 2 years, and that should mean something.

Pretty sure B1G is awful just because it's awful this year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
BIG OOC losses:

MSU lost to ND

Nebraska lost to UCLA

Wisconsin lost to ASU (yes, I know that was a screw job)

Iowa lost to NIU

BIG OOC wins:

Michigan beat ND

I don't even know what qualifies as the second best win.

So big OOC losses are those to ranked teams?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)
We'll see. If they win big bowl games then the view will change 180 degrees as usual.

I don't think it's the big bowl games, it's the median teams in the big 10 that need to show off on those days because they really aren't exciting anyone in the ole eye test dept.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:24 AM)
I don't think it's the big bowl games, it's the median teams in the big 10 that need to show off on those days because they really aren't exciting anyone in the ole eye test dept.

Possibly. The OOC games are improving quite a bit in the next few years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
Possibly. The OOC games are improving quite a bit in the next few years.

Yeah Wisconsin is only planning on playing some no name teams like LSU and Alabama.

Because you know, its the first time the SEC was willing to agree to play Wisconsin. Because you know, they refuse to play @ Camp Randall or when its cold. Because you know, thats what good teams do.

LOL

SEC has been dodging Big 10 teams for years. They only wanted to play in neutral sites in the South.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
When OSU beats Alabama in the NC, then the Big10 will still be bad because Iowa isnt good?

What type of logic is that.

Its like saying that Alabama isnt good because Arkansas would be the worst team in the Big10.

Just does not compute.

ESPN ignores the bottom half of the SEC, it isnt good for business.

The ACC blows too, but people are still sucking on FSU's knob.

I think Rock made a great point earlier...people get tired of the usual suspects and want to see something new...people aren't excited to cheer on OSU or Alabama, because those teams are there every year. People want to see new blood, exciting new schemes, etc. OSU and Alabama, and Stanford to a lesser degree are just going to beat your ass at what they do best, and it may not be all that exciting. I know I wanted to see an Oregon/FSU final, partially because the brand of football they play is exciting, but also because they haven't won recently (or ever).

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
Yeah Wisconsin is only planning on playing some no name teams like LSU and Alabama.

Because you know, its the first time the SEC was willing to agree to play Wisconsin. Because you know, they refuse to play @ Camp Randall or when its cold. Because you know, thats what good teams do.

LOL

SEC has been dodging Big 10 teams for years. They only wanted to play in neutral sites in the South.

The problem also is schedules are made so far in advance. We put Cal on the schedule 10 years ago. It looked like a better move than someone like Oregon at the time. We just put Oregon and Texas on the schedule for 2022, who knows if they will be good or not?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
When OSU beats Alabama in the NC, then the Big10 will still be bad because Iowa isnt good?

Its like saying that Alabama isnt good because Arkansas would be the worst team in the Big10.

Just does not compute.

No, the Big10 will still be bad because Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Penn State, Northwestern, Nebraska, Minnesota, & Michigan aren't good. The best team in the country can come from a bad conference.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 05:26 PM)

Just does not compute.

I think it's probably that when people thing of the b1g they think of a conference and not a single team. If FSU wins the National Championship does that make the ACC a great football conference? No, they have 2-3 good teams a year and then HUGE drop off and trash. The difference b/w OSU and FSU right now is FSU has been beating the s*** out of everyone. OSU has started to do that and it's probably going to help that out.

B1G typically has a solid 5-6 teams that are good, some "bad" conference teams that are still competitive and then 2-3 trash teams. This year it's more like 1 great team 1 top 15 team, and then a whole lot of teams that I guess have ok record but nothing that makes you think they are dangerous.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
The problem also is schedules are made so far in advance. We put Cal on the schedule 10 years ago. It looked like a better move than someone like Oregon at the time. We just put Oregon and Texas on the schedule for 2022, who knows if they will be good or not?

Right.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)
No, the Big10 will still be bad because Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Penn State, Northwestern, Nebraska, Minnesota, & Michigan aren't good. The best team in the country can come from a bad conference.

You do realize most conferences have 2-3 good teams?

Where are these unicorn conferences with all great teams?

Florida beat Toledo so they are awesome?!?!?!

Georgia beat North Texas!!!

Auburn beat Wash St by 7 @ Auburn, AMAZING!!!

What exactly makes you believe in other conferences so much, when every other conference is as insulated as the big10?

Its all hype, no one really has a clue how good any of these mid- low level teams are.

Edited by Soxbadger

Ohio State might be the best team in the nation, but the BIG is still terrible. Unfortunately, if we end up with more than two unbeaten teams (though that never does seem to happen), schedule strength is the only real way to settle things, and OSU is going to come up short.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)

The best conference in the country has 5-6 teams that would qualify as not good. Duke has a chance to be in the ACC title game. The leader in the Pac lost to a 4-4 terrible Utah team. Everyone has "warts."

The Big ten is by no means a great conference, but there are 3 legit teams in there including a team that has a 21 game winning streak and MSU with the best defense in the country. It's not "horrible" like everyone wants to believe.