Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, I'm over the NIU hype train too. Hooray for them getting into a BCS game only to lose badly and look outclassed and overmatched.

Someone said tonight that NIU beating Ball State was their "signature win." Umm, ya, o-f***ing-k.

QUOTE (staxx @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
why is everyone so salty toward NIU?

hate to say it but they are the best college football team in the state, no reason to not support them with wherever it goes.

I don't know if I'm "salty" toward NIU. I just really don't need to see them get humiliated in another BCS game.

It's great that they're doing so well, but last year kind of proved they are what they are, and they don't belong with the big dogs.

That doesn't mean their fans can't enjoy their wins, just don't go overboard with it.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 08:11 AM)
I don't know if I'm "salty" toward NIU. I just really don't need to see them get humiliated in another BCS game.

It's great that they're doing so well, but last year kind of proved they are what they are, and they don't belong with the big dogs.

That doesn't mean their fans can't enjoy their wins, just don't go overboard with it.

By using this rationale, does that mean that Notre Dame should never get a BCS shot again? They got humiliated in the championship game after running the table, so therefore they will never be better than that and can never become better?(and yes, I know they have a history, and they have won Bowl games)

Programs evolve. NIU is on the upswing right now, they could turn themselves into something special. Getting a shot at BCS games by playing within the rules set before them always seems to be held against the lesser teams, I dont get that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
By using this rationale, does that mean that Notre Dame should never get a BCS shot again? They got humiliated in the championship game after running the table, so therefore they will never be better than that and can never become better?(and yes, I know they have a history, and they have won Bowl games)

Programs evolve. NIU is on the upswing right now, they could turn themselves into something special. Getting a shot at BCS games by playing within the rules set before them always seems to be held against the lesser teams, I dont get that.

It was my opinion last year that Notre Dame didn't deserve to play in the BCS title game. They won out, so they went, but they sure didn't look the part.

NIU appears to be almost the same team as last year. They needed a last second FG to beat Iowa. If they were that much better, they would have easily handled a 6-4 unranked Iowa team. Now, the rules are the rules, and if they are the top non BCS team then they'll be in... I just don't see them doing much better than last year. And I would like to have a few more entertaining BCS games this year.

I get that programs evolve, and if they keep performing I'm sure they can add better talent, and may be able to eventually compete (though it's the last year of the BCS, so I'm not sure what that will do).

I think lesser teams get looked down on when they get a BCS game because they tend not to play anyone. If you don't play any top tier teams then you should be blowing every team you play out of the water.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)

Not sure about an upswing. They've been here before. Lynch is what Big Ben was at Miami. Good enough to win a good bowl game, but not the BCS IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
Not sure about an upswing. They've been here before. Lynch is what Big Ben was at Miami. Good enough to win a good bowl game, but not the BCS IMO.

Eh, he's more like Dan LeFavour 2.0, and maybe more like 1.2. Big Ben was throwing for 400 yards in games and looked like a pro.

It was my opinion last year that Notre Dame didn't deserve to play in the BCS title game. They won out, so they went, but they sure didn't look the part.

NIU appears to be almost the same team as last year. They needed a last second FG to beat Iowa. If they were that much better, they would have easily handled a 6-4 unranked Iowa team. Now, the rules are the rules, and if they are the top non BCS team then they'll be in... I just don't see them doing much better than last year. And I would like to have a few more entertaining BCS games this year.

I get that programs evolve, and if they keep performing I'm sure they can add better talent, and may be able to eventually compete (though it's the last year of the BCS, so I'm not sure what that will do).

I think lesser teams get looked down on when they get a BCS game because they tend not to play anyone. If you don't play any top tier teams then you should be blowing every team you play out of the water.

Who deserved it more? Florida lost to a Georgia team that Alabama beat and then Florida got destroyed by a Big East team. Oregon lost to a Stanford team that ND beat. Kansas State got destroyed by Baylor and then by Oregon.

If Notre Dame didn't deserve to be in the title game, then nobody did.

The problem is the way conference tie-ins and bowl payouts work. MAC teams either get the big bucks in a BCS Bowl or next to nothing and a Sun Belt opponent in the GoDaddy Bowl. What NIU really deserves is something like a game against Michigan in the Outback Bowl, but the only two things they can get are something way above that or way below that.

EDIT: Oh, and if NIU does get into a BCS bowl and somebody like Clemson is left out and is whining about it, here is my message to Clemson: Grow a pair and go to DeKalb and beat them next September and then you aren't in this position next year. Until Top 20 teams are willing to schedule home-and-home with teams like NIU, Fresno, or Boise, then I have absolutely no sympathy for them when those teams take their BCS spots.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (staxx @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)
why is everyone so salty toward NIU?

hate to say it but they are the best college football team in the state, no reason to not support them with wherever it goes.

I would love to see them play North Dakota State.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 08:54 AM)
Who deserved it more? Florida lost to a Georgia team that Alabama beat and then Florida got destroyed by a Big East team. Oregon lost to a Stanford team that ND beat. Kansas State got destroyed by Baylor and then by Oregon.

If Notre Dame didn't deserve to be in the title game, then nobody did.

The problem is the way conference tie-ins and bowl payouts work. MAC teams either get the big bucks in a BCS Bowl or next to nothing and a Sun Belt opponent in the GoDaddy Bowl. What NIU really deserves is something like a game against Michigan in the Outback Bowl, but the only two things they can get are something way above that or way below that.

EDIT: Oh, and if NIU does get into a BCS bowl and somebody like Clemson is left out and is whining about it, here is my message to Clemson: Grow a pair and go to DeKalb and beat them next September and then you aren't in this position next year. Until Top 20 teams are willing to schedule home-and-home with teams like NIU, Fresno, or Boise, then I have absolutely no sympathy for them when those teams take their BCS spots.

ND belonged there according to the rankings etc. Sometimes you just get beaten badly. It could be a team more prepared, more hungry or even more talented. It was a bad matchup and Bama exploited it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 08:39 AM)

I mean the program is gaining a little traction now, a little national hype. Sure they have been here before, but now they are starting to get noticed and remembered.

They have been a good program for a while, but the last two years has been different

I'm all for teams like NIU getting BCS bids. Other than the title game, the only thing at stake is $$$$$. Let the mid-level conferences see some of that dough too. Let a "Cinderella" team have their shot a big-name school. It's more entertaining IMO than a standard SEC vs ACC battle with zero bearing on the championship.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 03:59 PM)
ND belonged there according to the rankings etc. Sometimes you just get beaten badly. It could be a team more prepared, more hungry or even more talented. It was a bad matchup and Bama exploited it.

We all know why everyone hated ND there. Same reason we are talking about this now. While the other ranked teams are looking at 2-3 more tough games on their schedule, ND was barely beating Wake Forest at home. This will all get take care of when we can move to an 8 team playoff.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
We all know why everyone hated ND there. Same reason we are talking about this now. While the other ranked teams are looking at 2-3 more tough games on their schedule, ND was barely beating Wake Forest at home. This will all get take care of when we can move to an 8 team playoff.

Hopefully that is put in to place very quickly after the 4 team playoff. But I have a feeling they will drag their feet

You don't have a f***ing clue what you're talking about.

ND beat Wake Forest 38-0 and pulled most of their starters in the 3rd quarter.

Also, ND's schedule matched up with anybody's. Final BCS Rankings: Stanford 6, Oklahoma 11, Michigan 18.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
Hopefully that is put in to place very quickly after the 4 team playoff. But I have a feeling they will drag their feet

The problem is that the bowls make so much money for people that you can't just get rid of them or downgrade them. The biggest obstacle is keeping all those bowl execs happy.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
The problem is that the bowls make so much money for people that you can't just get rid of them or downgrade them. The biggest obstacle is keeping all those bowl execs happy.

I dont really see why they have to get rid of OR downgrade them. They need to be incorporated into the playoff(first round tostidos bowl/orange bowl, second round Sugar Bowl/Cotton bowl, Championship game Rose Bowl) , and then everyone that isnt in the playoff maintains the lesser bowls(blahblah.com bowl) like normal

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)

The plan I saw was that the bowls would be play in games which IMO would be just as good as what they have now. At least then it will mean something when the team wins. There would be something like 6 major bowl games and 1 championship game with rotation for all. Seems pretty awesome to me.