Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
maybe you should have bet the house...

I know, f***! Like I said, 32 points is a lot. Charlie Weis won his first career conference game today so Illinois now has the longest conference losing streak. Bring it on Boilers.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 08:10 PM)
I know, f***! Like I said, 32 points is a lot. Charlie Weis won his first career conference game today so Illinois now has the longest conference losing streak. Bring it on Boilers.

You were spot on. Windy, champaign. Good recipe.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 09:31 PM)
Jesse Palmer frantically preparing his "it doesn't count because they didn't play Stanford football" defense.

Rock, do you think Ohio state would beat Alabama if Florida state loses? All hypothetical obviously. Just a question.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
Rock, do you think Ohio state would beat Alabama if Florida state loses? All hypothetical obviously. Just a question.

I'd rather play them than FSU. They look incredible

I'm perfectly happy with a Rose Bowl to be honest.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 12:29 AM)
Stay classy, OSU:

Aaron Bennett @WCIA3Aaron

Heard a report the Ohio State players trashed the visitors' locker room at Memorial Stadium today. Apparently busted ceiling tiles

My best friends sisters boyfriend said that wasn't true.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 08:45 PM)
So Oregon moves up in the rankings and has a clear path to the Pac 12 title game, but did their national title hopes take a shot due to their loss now not looking so good?

I hope you're being sarcastic...losing in Palo Alta is not a bad loss...however, that won't matter...their national title hopes took a shot due to the fact that they have a loss, period. I don't think it'll get to the quality of their loss.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
I hope you're being sarcastic...losing in Palo Alta is not a bad loss...however, that won't matter...their national title hopes took a shot due to the fact that they have a loss, period. I don't think it'll get to the quality of their loss.

It certainly matters. There's a reasonable chance it could come down to a 1-loss team for that second spot. Not the most likely scenario, but it could happen. We've seen it before. Once you get that deep everything factors in.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
It certainly matters. There's a reasonable chance it could come down to a 1-loss team for that second spot. Not the most likely scenario, but it could happen. We've seen it before. Once you get that deep everything factors in.

Well I certainly hope you're right.

Illinois has lost 20 straight BT games, are playing on the road, and are a 7 point favorite against Purdue.

I don't want to put too much emphasis on one game, but I think this will go a long way in determining if Beckman is around next year. For the time being, I think he is, but another bad loss here, and it might be enough for Thomas to flip it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
Illinois has lost 20 straight BT games, are playing on the road, and are a 7 point favorite against Purdue.

I don't want to put too much emphasis on one game, but I think this will go a long way in determining if Beckman is around next year. For the time being, I think he is, but another bad loss here, and it might be enough for Thomas to flip it.

So you are saying that we should all root for Purdue?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 07:08 AM)
So you are saying that we should all root for Purdue?

Purdue's only win was a 6 point victory over Indiana State, who is 1-10 and has only beaten Quincy College. Illinois State blew them out by 40.

It would be funny if Beckman's fate hung on this one game against this one pathetic team. If the reason Beckman is back next year is because they beat Purdue, Illinois football is even more lame than it appears.

Baylor will work itself out if they can get through this gauntlet. I'm rooting for em though. They get style points for beating the crap out of everyone.

As for Alabama, they've put up a lot of clunkers. But stupid Nick Saban just doesn't lose big games.

First of all, it will be a travesty if any undefeated power-conference school is excluded from playing for the national title, especially knowing the situation would be avoided just a year later. I'd say the same thing if Ohio State were No. 2 and Florida State No. 3, or Alabama No. 2 and Baylor No. 3. Anyone who says they definitively know the best two teams in the country is a fan of one of those programs.

That said, I now present the comprehensive guide to Why Ohio State Can't Get Any Respect:

• Alabama won on the road against a then-No. 6 Texas A&M team (49-42) on Sept. 14 and at home against a then-No. 10 LSU team (38-17) on Nov. 9. Florida State routed then-No. 3 Clemson 51-14 in Death Valley on Oct. 19. Baylor crushed then-No. 12 Oklahoma 41-12 on Nov. 7 and will visit current No. 11 Oklahoma State this Saturday. The closest thing Ohio State has to a "signature" victory was beating then-No. 23 Wisconsin 31-24 on Sept. 28. The other ranked foe the Buckeyes beat, then-No. 16 Northwestern, has gone on to lose six straight. Most of these teams are now ranked higher or lower than they were when the games were played. But that's when perceptions were formed.

• Ohio State has played four road opponents to date: Cal, Northwestern, Purdue and Illinois. Those teams have not won a single game in conference play among them.

• According to Sagarin, Ohio State has the 72nd ranked strength of schedule, lower than Alabama (41st) and Florida State (58th), but higher than Baylor (85th). However, the Bears are beating their opponents by an average margin of 61-17. Ohio State's average margin is 49-19. Not coincidentally, the voter gap is narrowing.

• Remember 2009, when Cincinnati went 12-0 and no one was particularly sympathetic to the Bearcats because they played in an obviously inferior conference? Well, the '13 Big Ten is the '09 Big East. During its unbeaten regular season, Cincinnati beat two league foes ranked in the BCS top 20, No. 16 West Virginia and No. 17 Pittsburgh. If Ohio State wins out, its best conference wins will likely be over current No. 13 Michigan State (in the Big Ten title game) and No. 19 Wisconsin. One difference: Cincinnati also beat No. 18 Oregon State in nonconference play.

• And lest you think this is all just a big case of media bias, note that nearly every analytical metric is actually lower on the Buckeyes than the pollsters. Sagarin has Florida State No. 1, Alabama No. 2, Baylor No. 3 ... and Ohio State No. 8. Ditto for Football Outsiders' efficiency ratings. In fact, Wisconsin, a team the Buckeyes beat in Columbus, would be favored on a neutral field.

Ohio State is a great team. Anyone who says otherwise is trolling. But really, there is no objective basis to have the Buckeyes ranked higher than third, and even that may be generous. Also, one final plea, Ohio State fans: Stop bringing up the 22-game winning streak. It's an incredible feat, but it's completely irrelevant to the 2013 title race. The Buckeyes are 10-0 -- but so are the Crimson Tide, the Seminoles and, possibly after this weekend, the Bears.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-f.../#ixzz2lCzYf2yj