Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

I wonder if there is any other evidence or witnesses. or is it just "he assaulted me" vs. "it was consenual".

There are very rarely witnesses. It usually comes down to secondary signs of assault beyond the DNA evidence, such as cuts/bruises.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure wish there was a big difference.

Hopefully this victim doesn't hurt herself.

Yeah, other than the severity of the alleged crime, the existence of DNA evidence, the existence of witnesses, and the authority level of the people telling the victim not to press charges, it's almost exactly the same.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
Yeah, other than the severity of the alleged crime, the existence of DNA evidence, the existence of witnesses, and the authority level of the people telling the victim not to press charges, it's almost exactly the same.

You forgot suicide. And investigating it.

You forgot suicide. And investigating it.

The victim has a mental condition that caused her to snap and commit suicide. That isn't on the university. And investigating it becomes pointless once the victim is dead. It's hard enough to prove anything with a cooperative victim.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
The victim has a mental condition that caused her to snap and commit suicide. That isn't on the university. And investigating it becomes pointless once the victim is dead. It's hard enough to prove anything with a cooperative victim.

This post is disgusting.

This post is disgusting.

No, those are facts. I feel bad this all happened, but the reality is that's what happened and once it did, the investigation is over and there's nothing the university can do. I'm sorry that the facts of the story don't fit right in with your hatred for Notre Dame, but that's too bad.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
No, those are facts. I feel bad this all happened, but the reality is that's what happened and once it did, the investigation is over and there's nothing the university can do. I'm sorry that the facts of the story don't fit right in with your hatred for Notre Dame, but that's too bad.

And you know these "facts" not because you are some hyper-domer-homer, but because you were both her treating therapist, her coroner, and are an empath capable of divining her mental state. Yeah, I totally get it.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

And you know these "facts" not because you are some hyper-domer-homer, but because you were both her treating therapist, her coroner, and are an empath capable of divining her mental state. Yeah, I totally get it.

I've read every word that's been written about the case, so yes I know a thousand f***ing percent more than you about it.

Yes, it's tragic that she took her own life, but that doesn't change the reality that once it happened, there is no case. Get over it. Go hang around ND's campus and hand out money to players to try and play gotcha.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
I've read every word that's been written about the case, so yes I know a thousand f***ing percent more than you about it.

Yes, it's tragic that she took her own life, but that doesn't change the reality that once it happened, there is no case. Get over it. Go hang around ND's campus and hand out money to players to try and play gotcha.

And how many words have I read, genius? How much do I know? Why don’t you answer that since you obviously know so much?

She suffered anxiety order and clinical depression; like millions of other Americans. To say that's why she killed herself assumes egotistical omniscience beyond measure, dishonors her, and grossly insults millions of Americans with similar afflictions, myself included.

I don't care how much you've "read." Your fandom and familiarity with what's been written in the popular press doesn't mean jack s***.

What you wrote about her “snapping” due to her “mental condition” embarrassed yourself and, indirectly. your school. That may be your belief (and you are entitled to it), but is so far from a “fact” that its ridiculous.

And how many words have I read, genius? How much do I know? Why don’t you answer that since you obviously know so much?

She suffered anxiety order and clinical depression; like millions of other Americans. To say that's why she killed herself assumes egotistical omniscience beyond measure, dishonors her, and grossly insults millions of Americans with similar afflictions, myself included.

I don't care how much you've "read." Your fandom and familiarity with what's been written in the popular press doesn't mean jack s***.

What you wrote about her “snapping” due to her “mental condition” embarrassed yourself and, indirectly. your school. That may be your belief (and you are entitled to it), but is so far from a “fact” that its ridiculous.

You've read far less than I have about the situation, unless you have the same connections in St. Joe county that I have.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)

Because there is a real good chance that if she had a medical condition like that, something like being raped and told to keep quiet, could be part of the problem.

Because there is a real good chance that if she had a medical condition like that, something like being raped and told to keep quiet, could be part of the problem.

OK, except that she wasn't raped. Her accusation that she made to the police was that the player groped her clothed breast. That was the extent of the contact as described by the victim. That is the problem with the generic legal term "sexual assault" is that it covers a very broad range of activities.

She was told to keep quiet by two friends of the player, both people not affiliated with the football program or any other ND athletic program. Perhaps charges could have been filed against them, but there's no culpability within the athletic department.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
OK, except that she wasn't raped. Her accusation that she made to the police was that the player groped her clothed breast. That was the extent of the contact as described by the victim. That is the problem with the generic legal term "sexual assault" is that it covers a very broad range of activities.

She was told to keep quiet by two friends of the player, both people not affiliated with the football program or any other ND athletic program. Perhaps charges could have been filed against them, but there's no culpability within the athletic department.

Why was she driven to the hospital for a rape exam?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)

The f*** it's not. Why did she "snap" and commit suicide? Woke up one day and randomly decided to? No, because she got molested and was threatened and then no one investigated it.

But hey, keep reading all your police reports or whatever you have special access to that have been doctored up and tell you otherwise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 09:08 PM)
I might damn well know one or two of those guys. Though of one in particular in there.

Obviously athlete cheating happens everywhere even down in D2, MAC etc. but is this story going to cause a floodgate of whistle blowers?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 07:23 AM)
I read that, and as bad as that is, I wasn't even surprised because I've just assumed stuff like that happens on every significant college campus when it comes to athletes.

That's what I was thinking. I don't see it as simply an FSU problem, more of an NCAA football problem. And as the revenues increase, I don't see the problems getting any better.

Just a great paragraph.

The current allegations against Winston, even if they're ultimately dropped, threaten our pure victory narrative. But most of Tallahassee, even the local sports reporters, cannot accept that the narrative is overly simple, and that failure is always an option, whether it's a physical failure in the fourth quarter, or a moral one in a strange bedroom after last call on Tennessee Street. Most vocal Noles fans find it easier to bandy about numerous conspiracy theories to explain the news. It's the timing of this thing going public—some Manziel or McCarron fan dropping a bomb before Heisman voting, before BCS selection. Maybe even a (voice drops to a whisper) Gators fan. It's the height discrepancy in the police report—and that chick doesn't know what the hell went on, probably because she was drinking. It's some lying jealous gold-digger. It's racism. It's a state attorney who is grandstanding or maybe corrupt or maybe just has a hard-on for unfairly persecuting football players for rape, except for the ones that were actually guilty or look pretty bad.

May as well include the next 2 then too.

Even to casual fans who've never darkened the doors of the institutions whose colors they wear on Saturdays, none of this probably shocks. Maybe they assume every Division I program is a stable of high-toned, ego-motored, big-balled thoroughbreds, surrounded by pushy handlers who are perversely protective and laissez-faire at the same time. And maybe that makes the conspiracy theories easier to form. If the academics can be arranged so that players stay eligible, it's a rather small leap, in the mind of a certain kind of college football fan, to the notion that strings get pulled and palms get greased by rivals trying to derail a season. The fix is in. It's long been a part of the football fan's narrative, anyway—the other guys are dirty dirty dirty that's the only way they could possibly beat us.

But like the on-field play, the excesses of student athletics look different when you teach in these schools: faster, more dangerous. It's the kind of difference that makes us, in our student lounges and off-campus drinkeries, say, yeah, Jameis Winston is great, gifted, a wonderful kid—but yeah, he could have assaulted that girl. Any of them could have.

Those 3 really encapsulate the entire article and these sorts of scandals extremely well.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 07:23 AM)
I read that, and as bad as that is, I wasn't even surprised because I've just assumed stuff like that happens on every significant college campus when it comes to athletes.

Ya that was basically my reaction as well.