Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
He was named a person of interest and then not charged for anything. Still suspended 3 games.

Hyde paid the price for all the Florida kids under Meyer who was allowed to skate.

It did without a doubt cost him atleast being in serious Heisman discussion.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 08:09 PM)
Lol. Ok

Dude, come on. No one wants to see NIU play Baylor or Mizzou or Auburn or Clemson and be totally outmatched. It's annoying.

Yes, they "hung in there" for a while against FSU last year, but Lynch averaged 4.3 yards/pass and 1.9 yards/rush and NIU was outgained 534-259. If FSU didn't have so many penalties and EJ Manuel knew how to finish a drive, they'd have gotten blown out. FSU's fullback ran for 134 yards on 5 carries and outran everyone on NIU's D.

I don't blame NIU one bit. It's not their fault the system is the way it is. But on behalf of everyone in the world that isn't an NIU fan, keep these guys out of the BCS.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 01:08 AM)
Dude, come on. No one wants to see NIU play Baylor or Mizzou or Auburn or Clemson and be totally outmatched. It's annoying.

I do. It's a meaningless football game, let the mid majors have some fun. Who wants to see Clemson pull a Clemson again? Baylor's QB tripped on his own two feet. Mizzou sucks.

Tonite NIU takes another step towards angering everyone that does not want to share the precious BCS :P

If everybody wants to keep NIU out of the BCS, then why doesn't a Top 20 team grow a pair and go up to DeKalb and beat them? That would solve the problem.

I have no sympathy for Baylor, Oregon, Michigan State, or whatever team ends up being the one who doesn't go to a BCS game because of NIU.

Iowa is the best team that NIU has beaten because Iowa is the best team that will play them.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 12:08 AM)

Yes, they "hung in there" for a while against FSU last year, but Lynch averaged 4.3 yards/pass and 1.9 yards/rush and NIU was outgained 534-259. If FSU didn't have so many penalties and EJ Manuel knew how to finish a drive, they'd have gotten blown out. FSU's fullback ran for 134 yards on 5 carries and outran everyone on NIU's D.

I don't blame NIU one bit. It's not their fault the system is the way it is. But on behalf of everyone in the world that isn't an NIU fan, keep these guys out of the BCS.

Hey, if they wanted to design a system to keep these guys out, then they should have. NIU has played their games and earned their spot according to the rules the system set up, and people still get pissed. I don want to see them get blown out anymore than I wanted to see ND get stomped by Bama or Zooks Illini get kicked around by USC, but hey, that's how it goes sometimes. And every once in a while these teams surprise you and actually win like Boise State did.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 07:14 AM)
If everybody wants to keep NIU out of the BCS, then why doesn't a Top 20 team grow a pair and go up to DeKalb and beat them? That would solve the problem.

I have no sympathy for Baylor, Oregon, Michigan State, or whatever team ends up being the one who doesn't go to a BCS game because of NIU.

Iowa is the best team that NIU has beaten because Iowa is the best team that will play them.

Because that's a no win situation, plus schedules being set so far in advance, they could easily suck when you play them.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 08:15 AM)
Because that's a no win situation, plus schedules being set so far in advance, they could easily suck when you play them.

But really, why should that matter? When they get teams like Middle Tennessee St to come to their place and blow them out, its not that big a deal.

There is only one risk for the big conferences, a loss. They arent refusing because the competition might suck(unless you mean your own team might suck. Which I understand for some teams like the current Illini. But SEC teams should never worry about those things)

Clearly it's not a no win situation. Beating them knocks them out of a BCS spot and opens up one for potentially yourself or even someone else in your conference. If you lose to them you're probably not good enough to get into a BCS game anyway.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 08:28 AM)
Clearly it's not a no win situation. Beating them knocks them out of a BCS spot and opens up one for potentially yourself or even someone else in your conference. If you lose to them you're probably not good enough to get into a BCS game anyway.

So one team needs to take on the task of going to niu to knock them out when its likely they wont even be in the race for it in that year, and turn down a home game. Lol at thinking a big name team would go to niu. No benefit, all risk. Maybe nd will schedule it.

So one team needs to take on the task of going to niu to knock them out when its likely they wont even be in the race for it in that year, and turn down a home game. Lol at thinking a big name team would go to niu. No benefit, all risk. Maybe nd will schedule it.

You keep saying no benefit, but $15M to a conference is clearly a benefit. Also, it's not turning down a home game. Nearly all teams play at least one non-con game on the road per year. Just schedule your home-and-home with NIU instead of Arizona St. or whoever.

Does anybody believe that Alabama should travel to Kent State? Or Stanford to Toledo? Or Texas to Ball State? Because if you think that sounds silly, then you should also feel that any other team traveling to NIU is silly too. It isn't going to have BCS implications for those teams - ohhhh you beat a MAC team on the road in week 3, congrats on winning the easiest game ever and it having absolutely nothing to do with you. And if you think they are going to do it during the conference scheduling - when it actually would have some BCS implications - you're crazy.

It's a broken system. I don't mind seeing those teams there, and they should be rewarded (and NIU has had enough recent success that they really should consider moving if they can), but NIU is going to get stomped in any potential BCS game.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 08:42 AM)
You keep saying no benefit, but $15M to a conference is clearly a benefit. Also, it's not turning down a home game. Nearly all teams play at least one non-con game on the road per year. Just schedule your home-and-home with NIU instead of Arizona St. or whoever.

Because in 2020 when the game happens NIU will suck and everyone will say your OOC schedule included a s***ty MAC team instead of a major conference foe. Games are being scheduled 10 years in advance. The best MAC team 10 years ago? Miami with Big Ben at the helm.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
But really, why should that matter? When they get teams like Middle Tennessee St to come to their place and blow them out, its not that big a deal.

There is only one risk for the big conferences, a loss. They arent refusing because the competition might suck(unless you mean your own team might suck. Which I understand for some teams like the current Illini. But SEC teams should never worry about those things)

No the Risk is they suck and that s***ty OOC game costs you with the polls. Or is schedule not one of the qualifiers you've used to discount team rankings?

Nd needs to play in dekalb, that's all there is to it. So many benefits, no risk.

I would like to have seen that, but with the ACC scheduling agreement, that isn't going to happen.

But I will also be the first to say that if ND is the team left out of the BCS because of NIU, it's their own fault.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
No the Risk is they suck and that s***ty OOC game costs you with the polls. Or is schedule not one of the qualifiers you've used to discount team rankings?

Im not discounting anything Rock. I know the pecking order of teams/conferences, its just funny when people get their panties in a bunch when a lesser conference dares step foot in the circle of awesome.

I hope for these lesser teams to build on the exposure they get when they get to where NIU has gotten the past couple years, much in the way Boise State did. I want more parity in college football, not "Well they got here now they will get destroyed by the team that has been here for the past 30 years".

Wite is correct, the system is broken. No easy fix, no rational fix at this point. It will continue on, SEC will dominate, other conferences like Big Ten/12/Pac will have challengers, and we will all keep watching.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)
I would like to have seen that, but with the ACC scheduling agreement, that isn't going to happen.

But I will also be the first to say that if ND is the team left out of the BCS because of NIU, it's their own fault.

Because they lost 2 or 3 or 5 games. Not because they didn't play and beat NIU. Just so we are clear.