Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
Im not discounting anything Rock. I know the pecking order of teams/conferences, its just funny when people get their panties in a bunch when a lesser conference dares step foot in the circle of awesome.

I hope for these lesser teams to build on the exposure they get when they get to where NIU has gotten the past couple years, much in the way Boise State did. I want more parity in college football, not "Well they got here now they will get destroyed by the team that has been here for the past 30 years".

Wite is correct, the system is broken. No easy fix, no rational fix at this point. It will continue on, SEC will dominate, other conferences like Big Ten/12/Pac will have challengers, and we will all keep watching.

Of course it is but the facilities and money at those small schools don't lend itself to consistent results.

On the Lynch for heisman front. Check out the 2003 voting and tell me Roethlisberger wasn't better than Jason white. But the MAC doesn't count.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
Of course it is but the facilities and money at those small schools don't lend itself to consistent results.

On the Lynch for heisman front. Check out the 2003 voting and tell me Roethlisberger wasn't better than Jason white. But the MAC doesn't count.

It would be an interesting discussion nowadays, because with how much exposure the sport gets now I bet Big Ben would very much be in the discussion like Lynch.

Truthfully, it is an entirely different beast now

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
It would be an interesting discussion nowadays, because with how much exposure the sport gets now I bet Big Ben would very much be in the discussion like Lynch.

Truthfully, it is an entirely different beast now

He was a finalist but much like Lynch had 0 percent chance to win because the MAC doesn't count. It will be that way until we have a much larger playoff system.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 08:52 AM)
Because in 2020 when the game happens NIU will suck and everyone will say your OOC schedule included a s***ty MAC team instead of a major conference foe. Games are being scheduled 10 years in advance. The best MAC team 10 years ago? Miami with Big Ben at the helm.

How do these teams that switch conferences get the games scheduled. They also added an extra game a year or two back. I think some games are locked in, the major OOC games Texas/OSU, ND/Michigan, I think the patsies are added a little later along with the conference games. The fact is teams will not travel to Dekalb, you wanna play NIU, play them at Soldier Field. Major teams want to play in major stadiums. As they should.

If the American conference, I do not even know what that is, gets an automatic bid, NIU makes it no worse. Now with Fresno, NIU and that silly American conference game the BCS games drop down in visibility. One of those make sense but all three, nope. Northern needs to pass Fresno to get in.

Iowa is actually looking like a decent win fro NIU. NIU has also won big recently and is playing its best football of the season. That along with a tie into the Chicago market gives them a decent marketing niche.

The best thing for Northern would be a Gator or Outback bowl against another 10-20th ranked team. Sadly, that is not an option.

A good game would be New Year's Day, NIU V Northwestern or even NIU v Notre Dame at the good ole Soldier Field or the Wrigley Field. Chicago really should have built a dome stadium.

How do these teams that switch conferences get the games scheduled. They also added an extra game a year or two back. I think some games are locked in, the major OOC games Texas/OSU, ND/Michigan, I think the patsies are added a little later along with the conference games. The fact is teams will not travel to Dekalb, you wanna play NIU, play them at Soldier Field. Major teams want to play in major stadiums. As they should.

If the American conference, I do not even know what that is, gets an automatic bid, NIU makes it no worse. Now with Fresno, NIU and that silly American conference game the BCS games drop down in visibility. One of those make sense but all three, nope. Northern needs to pass Fresno to get in.

Iowa is actually looking like a decent win fro NIU. NIU has also won big recently and is playing its best football of the season. That along with a tie into the Chicago market gives them a decent marketing niche.

The best thing for Northern would be a Gator or Outback bowl against another 10-20th ranked team. Sadly, that is not an option.

A good game would be New Year's Day, NIU V Northwestern or even NIU v Notre Dame at the good ole Soldier Field or the Wrigley Field. Chicago really should have built a dome stadium.

As of this week, they have passed Fresno.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)

BUT THE SKYLINE!!!!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)

That whole Jason White/Weinke era was the worst.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)

Might want to check northwestern's record...

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
I know their record but it would still have some interest in the Chicago area as opposed to a GoDaddy Bowl game.

NIU can barely fill their tiny little stadium. I don't think there is much interest in Chicago.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
At least those teams deserved to be there.

Plenty of midmajors have won BCS games.

TCU beat Wisconsin in '11.

Utah beat Alabama in '09.

Boise beat Oklahoma in '07.

Utah beat Pitt in '05.

It's not like the non-AQ schools always get blown out. Give undefeated Northern a shot in the BCS again. I don't really understand the argument against...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)

Utah beat Pitt in '05.

It's not like the non-AQ schools always get blown out. Give undefeated Northern a shot in the BCS again. I don't really understand the argument against...

I think the argument against is that they just got blown out last year.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)

Utah beat Pitt in '05.

Two of those teams are now in major conferences. I don't think anyone equates those with the MAC. The MAC will never get any respect, that's just the way it is in football until a playoff system lets one in and they go deep.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
Sure, you never know. There are sure blowouts on paper that never materialize every year.

Okay, I guess crazy things happen like Stanford beating USC that one year. I guess anything is technically possible.

Maybe I should rephrase it: Does anyone think NIU will be within a TD or maybe even within double digits for the spread? The game would *likely* be a blowout.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)
Two of those teams are now in major conferences. I don't think anyone equates those with the MAC. The MAC will never get any respect, that's just the way it is in football until a playoff system lets one in and they go deep.

But the same arguments were levied against those schools (with the possible exception of TCU in '11). Shoot, people on this board argued after Utah beat Alabama in '09 that the Utes only won because Bama didn't care.

NIU probably loses if they get a BCS game. But the fact that they are in the MAC, or that they lost to Florida State last year, are irrelevant to whether an undefeated Northern team this year "deserves" a shot at a BCS bowl.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
But the same arguments were levied against those schools (with the possible exception of TCU in '11). Shoot, people on this board argued after Utah beat Alabama in '09 that the Utes only won because Bama didn't care.

NIU probably loses if they get a BCS game. But the fact that they are in the MAC, or that they lost to Florida State last year, are irrelevant to whether an undefeated Northern team this year "deserves" a shot at a BCS bowl.

Mathematically I think they deserve it if they are ranked that way. However the MAC just isnt up to par in alot of people's eyes, and mostly because of their performance against other conferences. The MAC is very shallow defensively, and it can really show when they are up against a top 10 team.

NIU for example is 3-36 against the Big Ten in the last 90 years with an average score of 13.7 to 31.

Assuming OSU as the BCS rep of the Big Ten, 21-0 vs the MAC with an average score of 37-11

People see that and they dont think they can compete due to history telling them so.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
Mathematically I think they deserve it if they are ranked that way. However the MAC just isnt up to par in alot of people's eyes, and mostly because of their performance against other conferences. The MAC is very shallow defensively, and it can really show when they are up against a top 10 team.

NIU for example is 3-36 against the Big Ten in the last 90 years with an average score of 13.7 to 31.

Assuming OSU as the BCS rep of the Big Ten, 21-0 vs the MAC with an average score of 37-11

People see that and they dont think they can compete due to history telling them so.

well two of those wins are this season. so thats good

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)

Fine, take out last year if you must. I don't think this current team stacks up to a Boise St from years ago. I don't think they hang in there with a top 10 team in a BCS bowl, and looking at the resume, they aren't on par with those teams, just as the resume wasn't last year either.

Being in the MAC isn't irrelevant, as that's the only way we can judge their resume is by the relative strength of the conference and the teams they have played.