Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:49 AM)
A bit of both, obviously a ton of youth. I would have been fine with Banks going, as the fundamentals/scheming didn't seem to improve.

At this moment in time, he's not a lame duck head coach. If that's your opinion, fine, but as of this moment, MT isn't sitting there figuring out who to hire next year.

If a bball coach inherited the garbage on this year's roster, and showed improvement with it, then yeah, I could see him getting more time.

It takes 3 years, especially with this roster and situation, to see where you are at. Has to make a bowl next year and show a lot of improvement now that a decent amount of the roster is back and older, and will have 2 good qbs to help.

If you fire him now, NO ONE is going to take the job knowing they have 2 years to fix everything, and even if they show improvement in year 2, they are still gone. No coach walks into a situation knowing that now. Good luck selling that. So that's how it gets better, even if there is more failure.

Everything will be determined next year.

Good luck Beckman selling recruits he will be the coach when their redshirt season is up. He is a lame duck in every sense. So his recruiting class will be weak. That is what happened to Zook's recruiting classes. Once your job status is up for debate, even if your institution has said nothing, you become a lame duck. The only way for him to escape it is for a miracle season and an extension. If he has 2 good QBs coming in, there would be plenty of guys willing to take that job. You can only go up. Coaches walk into bad situations all the time. They have egos. It is rather obvious Beckman is in over his head. Waiting just prolongs the losing, something that wouldn't happen there in basketball.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
Good luck Beckman selling recruits he will be the coach when their redshirt season is up. He is a lame duck in every sense. So his recruiting class will be weak. That is what happened to Zook's recruiting classes. Once your job status is up for debate, even if your institution has said nothing, you become a lame duck. The only way for him to escape it is for a miracle season and an extension. If he has 2 good QBs coming in, there would be plenty of guys willing to take that job. You can only go up. Coaches walk into bad situations all the time. They have egos. It is rather obvious Beckman is in over his head. Waiting just prolongs the losing, something that wouldn't happen there in basketball.

You're just wrong about him being a lame duck in every sense. You won't know if he's fired until this time next year. If they make a bowl next year and look decent, there's a decent chance he gets an extension. That's far from a miracle season.

Zook wasn't there 2 years and looking to be fired by his 3rd year.

You're missing the boat - you fire a coach after 2 years without really, really good justification, good luck getting anyone, anywhere to take the job. Coaches walk into bad situations all the time, but they usually get more than 2 years to fix it. Which is what Beckman is getting.

Next year decides it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
You're just wrong about him being a lame duck in every sense. You won't know if he's fired until this time next year. If they make a bowl next year and look decent, there's a decent chance he gets an extension. That's far from a miracle season.

You're missing the boat - you fire a coach after 2 years without really, really good justification, good luck getting anyone, anywhere to take the job. Coaches walk into bad situations all the time, but they usually get more than 2 years to fix it. Which is what Beckman is getting.

Next year decides it.

How is 1-18 or whatever in conference play not a really good justification?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)

Next year decides it.

This is difference between football and basketball in Champaign. There actually are people who think there is no justification to fire Beckman. No matter what, year 1, year 2, if a basketball coach came in and his only conference win was a close one vs. NU, he would be gone in a heartbeat.

And you are only kidding yourself if you don't think his job status has any effect on his recruiting.

Edited by Dick Allen

"If you fire him now, NO ONE is going to take the job knowing they have 2 years to fix everything, and even if they show improvement in year 2, they are still gone. No coach walks into a situation knowing tIt now."

I dont really buy this. Our candidates would be the same now as they are a yeaaren'tm now. Pretty much no non-bcs level coach is going to turn us down since the job is still a step up from where they are at. It's either that or pay big money for a tarnished name like Petrino or Tressel and they aren't saying no to the payday either or would they have any concern over what their inept predecessor did.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
This is difference between football and basketball in Champaign. There actually are people who think there is no justification to fire Beckman. No matter what, year 1, year 2, if a basketball coach came in and his only conference win was a close one vs. NU, he would be gone in a heartbeat.

And you are only kidding yourself if you don't think his job status has any effect on his recruiting.

Recruiting under Beckman is rock bottom already, not 1 top 300 recruit under Beckman. All he gets is Ohio kids nobody else any good offered and are not Big Ten caliber players.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
How is 1-18 or whatever in conference play not a really good justification?

How many of those games should we have won? Did you see improvement?

Do new coaches in new environments not have terrible starts in conference? Happens everywhere, even this year. Takes time to put in your system and establish everything.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)

Again, it goes back to expectations of the current team and state of the program. Basketball was in a much different position than football.

Also, show me where I said job status has no effect on recruiting.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
"If you fire him now, NO ONE is going to take the job knowing they have 2 years to fix everything, and even if they show improvement in year 2, they are still gone. No coach walks into a situation knowing tIt now."

I dont really buy this. Our candidates would be the same now as they are a yeaaren'tm now. Pretty much no non-bcs level coach is going to turn us down since the job is still a step up from where they are at. It's either that or pay big money for a tarnished name like Petrino or Tressel and they aren't saying no to the payday either or would they have any concern over what their inept predecessor did.

Don't buy it all you want. No one's taking that job knowing you're immediately fired if you walk into a s***storm and don't immediately turn it around.

I'm pretty sure we offered Sumlin more money and he said no. Money isn't everything to some of these guys, especially when they can wait for a better fit and situation.

You're all dreaming. You also forget that last year I said if MT is 100% convinced he f***ed up and didn't think Beckman was the answer, to fire him. I said if they didn't show improvement this year, fire him. Once we went into this year, the barometer was improvement. This team was night and day from last year. As such, he gets a 3rd year and we see what happens next year.

You know what I thought our record, and realistic expectations this year was? 4-8 with an outside shot at maybe 5-7 if we get lucky. Where did we end up? 4-8. What was everyone's expectations going into the year, bowl or bust? BT championship or bust?

The results this year were in line with where most everyone thought they'd be, and we showed improvement, big time, over last year, especially on offense. Not sure what everyone was expecting. I guess everyone was just waiting for the season to end to yell "fire Beckman!" yet again.

Look, deep down, I'm not convinced Beckman's the long-term answer either. I think my posting last year was more than clear about that. But I'm willing to give it next year to find out after what was done this year, based on what everyone thought going into this season.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)
How many of those games should we have won? Did you see improvement?

Do new coaches in new environments not have terrible starts in conference? Happens everywhere, even this year. Takes time to put in your system and establish everything.

I think with a good coach they win at least three more games - Penn State, Indiana and Northwestern. Maybe the Washington game too. The remainder of the games they were not even competitive.

I get what you're saying in your posts, but I think you're setting the bar way too low for the football program. 6 wins when 3-4 of them are locks should not be difficult to achieve for a power conference member.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:45 AM)
Don't buy it all you want. No one's taking that job knowing you're immediately fired if you walk into a s***storm and don't immediately turn it around.

I'm pretty sure we offered Sumlin more money and he said no. Money isn't everything to some of twon't guys, especially when they can wait for a better fit and situation.

Y

This stuff is just false. Plenty of midmajors coaches and coordinators would jump on the opportunity of the Illinois job. One year isn't going to make a difference in their mind. Kevin Sumlin is a terrible comparison since he had a lot better job offer in Texas AM. Yes, if a better program than us offers a coach we want, we won't get him. But it's terrible to somehow think that changes by giving an extra year to Beckman.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
This stuff is just false. Plenty of midmajors coaches and coordinators would jump on the opportunity of the Illinois job. One year isn't going to make a difference in their mind. Kevin Sumlin is a terrible comparison since he had a lot better job offer in Texas AM. Yes, if a better program than us offers a coach we want, we won't get him. But it's terrible to somehow think that changes by giving an extra year to Beckman.

There's plenty of people that think exactly how I think about this. One year does make a huge difference when it's year 2 to 3, which is 50% more time to do something with the program.

If you think coaches don't see exactly what's going on at Illinois and just see "Illinois job open," you're wrong. Coach improves team into year 2, still fired? Good luck with that.

Again, not sure where your expectations were going into this year, but most people's were met. That's what this all comes down to. You don't go from laughingstock one year to 8 wins the next with that roster.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:49 AM)
There's plenty of people that think exactly how I think about this. One year does make a huge difference when it's year 2 to 3, which is 50% more time to do something with the program.

If you think coaches don't see exactly what's going on at Illinois and just see "Illinois job open," you're wrong. Coach improves team into year 2, still fired? Good luck with that.

Again, not sure where your expectations were going into this year, but most people's were met. That's what this all comes down to. You don't go from laughingstock one year to 8 wins the next with that roster.

The coaches know more than the AD's as to who can coach or not. If a qualified guy is sitting there saying, "Beckman is not qualified for that job," which is what Illinois needs to decide it will not impact the next guy to take the job especially if Illinois is going to pay the guy.

The problem is, does Illinois fire a guy without giving him a shot? I do not follow Illinois football but I know they stink. All I have heard is that Beckman was not qualified for the job when he was hired and it appears to still be the case.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
The coaches know more than the AD's as to who can coach or not. If a qualified guy is sitting there saying, "Beckman is not qualified for that job," which is what Illinois needs to decide it will not impact the next guy to take the job especially if Illinois is going to pay the guy.

The problem is, does Illinois fire a guy without giving him a shot? I do not follow Illinois football but I know they stink. All I have heard is that Beckman was not qualified for the job when he was hired and it appears to still be the case.

Year one is actually irrelevant to year two, once it was established that he was coming back for year two. You had to look at the situation of year one being an embarrassment, and ask yourself, what do we need to see in year two to show the arrow is pointing up and stick for a third year? That, apparently, is where I have a disconnect from the others.

My realistic expectations were win 4 games (5 if lucky), be more competitive in losses, show improvement in areas, look more competent than last year. Those were met, especially with this young, awful defense coming into this year. Next year, with basically the entire defense back and a lot of the offensive pieces, now you establish new expectations, which for me, is 6 wins and a bowl and looking much more improved yet again. Anything less than that likely means he's fired.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
Year one is actually irrelevant to year two, once it was established that he was coming back for year two. You had to look at the situation of year one being an embarrassment, and ask yourself, what do we need to see in year two to show the arrow is pointing up and stick for a third year? That, apparently, is where I have a disconnect from the others.

My realistic expectations were win 4 games (5 if lucky), be more competitive in losses, show improvement in areas, look more competent than last year. Those were met, especially with this young, awful defense coming into this year. Next year, with basically the entire defense back and a lot of the offensive pieces, now you establish new expectations, which for me, is 6 wins and a bowl and looking much more improved yet again. Anything less than that likely means he's fired.

As a person that follows the program (I would if they won) than that is important. The perception I had, was Beckman was a doofus, if that is not the case than I would agree with keeping him around and firing him without giving him time would be a mistake.

Everyone knew Zook was a bozo but he got talent and could compete on occasion. While as zany as he was he fit the need of that program and kept them interesting. How that fell apart, I do not know.

My favorite part of the Beckman disaster is that people are actually crediting this year's team as improving. It's amazing. That is to say Beckman is actually being credited for being such an incredibly terrible coach his first year and has somehow benefited from this.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 06:08 PM)
And Beckman has always been a defensive coach.somethings offensive coordinator was the only oactually who earned their paycheck.

Yeah. It's kind of funny we hired the defensive coordinator from Oklahoma State, who is far from known for their D, and a guy who was most famous for his 60 something to 60 something battle with NIU as a head coach. Who actually looks at him and goes, "yeah, that's our guy!"

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
My favorite part of the Beckman disaster is that people are actually crediting this year's team as improving. It's amazing. That is to say Beckman is actually being credited for being such an incredibly terrible coach his first year and has somehow benefited from this.

They didn't improve? OK then.

What were your expectations for this year?