Fun with Numbers

NorthSideSox72

Here's a fun exercise. Let's see who can tell me what these numbers represent...

2012: 8

2011: 11

2010: 10

2009: 1

2008: 12

2007: 2

2006: 11

2005: 13

2004: 2

2003: 25

2002: 15

2001: 8

And that's as far back as the data I was able to find goes. Lamar in particular... tell me what you think these numbers are.

Here's a fun exercise. Let's see who can tell me what these numbers represent...

2012: 8

2011: 11

2010: 10

2009: 1

2008: 12

2007: 2

2006: 11

2005: 13

2004: 2

2003: 25

2002: 15

2001: 8

And that's as far back as the data I was able to find goes. Lamar in particular... tell me what you think these numbers are.

I'm stumped (and at work...no time to research.). Please enlighten the class.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)
I'm stumped (and at work...no time to research.). Please enlighten the class.

As per the blacked out answer above, those are the payroll ranks for each World Series champion, for years I could get data for.

There can be a lot of discussion about what those numbers do and don't mean, but here are a few things I think are obvious. First, spending the most money doesn't necessarily win you anything - the #1 payroll team won the championship just once in 12 years, and only three times in 12 years was it even a top 5 payroll team. Second, while money alone doesn't get you championships, spending SOME money gets you in the discussion. Note that all but one of those seasons, the winner was at least in the top half of baseball for payroll.

Spending a whole ton of money is no guarantee of success.

As per the blacked out answer above, those are the payroll ranks for each World Series champion, for years I could get data for.

There can be a lot of discussion about what those numbers do and don't mean, but here are a few things I think are obvious. First, spending the most money doesn't necessarily win you anything - the #1 payroll team won the championship just once in 12 years, and only three times in 12 years was it even a top 5 payroll team. Second, while money alone doesn't get you championships, spending SOME money gets you in the discussion. Note that all but one of those seasons, the winner was at least in the top half of baseball for payroll.

Spending a whole ton of money is no guarantee of success.

Point taken!