FutureSox Top Prospects, 2013 Pre-Season

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
Walker screams trade bait to me.

The kind of trade where he gets called up to the big leagues on another team because that team lacks depth, performs admirably for a bit and Soxtalk FREAKS THE f*** OUT. haha

Hawkins, Thompson, and Mitchell are better OF prospects with higher ceilings I think...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
I think Mitchell is the one who screams trade bait. He is a player whose value coming out of college was his speed. He tore his achilles and has slowly been making his way back from that, but there's questions as to whether or not he'll ever fully make it. He isn't a real powerful prospect, so you could legitimately be looking at a backup player in the big leagues with an outside shot at starting. When looking at his overall package, I just don't see a lot of value there for the MLB.

The thing is, I still really like Mitchell, but there's a reason he's 11th on this list and he's fallen out of the top 10, and it's not just because of his age. Trayce Thompson is a legitimate CF prospect with LTP (for comparisons, we're looking likely MLB comp is Drew Stubbs, best case is Giancarlo Stanton), Courtney Hawkins is a legit CF prospect with an incredible all around game who could make the majors as early as next year. He's likely to end up in RF, but with comparisons to Matt Kemp and Justin Upton, I'd take that. And then you're looking at Keenyn Walker who, while I agree is still very hit or miss, I think compares well to guys like Austin Jackson and Coco Crisp statistically.

I just think, given everything you see about him, Mitchell is going to have the hardest time breaking through and making a real impact. I also think that's why you see his name being mentioned like it is for him to be due for a break through. Perhaps he is and he'll be extremely valuable for the Sox, but I just don't see it.

If either Mitchell or Walker ended up as trade bait, that means they emerged to be a wanted prospect by another team. I'd be happy with that.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
If Hawkins is in Charlotte this year he will have had an amazing season... He'd be on track for a Trout/Harper like early call up in 2014.

Oh I thougth you were talking next year. I could still see this year for a legit cup of coffee, ala the 6 games that Thompson got, but I see him primarily playing in Winston-Salem and Birmingham.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
I think Mitchell is the one who screams trade bait. He is a player whose value coming out of college was his speed. He tore his achilles and has slowly been making his way back from that, but there's questions as to whether or not he'll ever fully make it. He isn't a real powerful prospect, so you could legitimately be looking at a backup player in the big leagues with an outside shot at starting. When looking at his overall package, I just don't see a lot of value there for the MLB.

The thing is, I still really like Mitchell, but there's a reason he's 11th on this list and he's fallen out of the top 10, and it's not just because of his age. Trayce Thompson is a legitimate CF prospect with LTP (for comparisons, we're looking likely MLB comp is Drew Stubbs, best case is Giancarlo Stanton), Courtney Hawkins is a legit CF prospect with an incredible all around game who could make the majors as early as next year. He's likely to end up in RF, but with comparisons to Matt Kemp and Justin Upton, I'd take that. And then you're looking at Keenyn Walker who, while I agree is still very hit or miss, I think compares well to guys like Austin Jackson and Coco Crisp statistically.

I just think, given everything you see about him, Mitchell is going to have the hardest time breaking through and making a real impact. I also think that's why you see his name being mentioned like it is for him to be due for a break through. Perhaps he is and he'll be extremely valuable for the Sox, but I just don't see it.

He tore his posterior tibialis tendon. Much more difficult surgery and rehab.

Regarding Mitchell, his ability to get on base is why he's still a solid prospect. If he can cut down on the strikeouts and make a little better contact, he can still be a special player. He's got more than enough speed and power as long as he's getting on base at a very high rate.

The other thing I'd be interested in his splits. Given that's he a lefty, he could be a very valuable platoon player or 4th outfielder, assuming he hits righties much better than lefties.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
Oh I thougth you were talking next year. I could still see this year for a legit cup of coffee, ala the 6 games that Thompson got, but I see him primarily playing in Winston-Salem and Birmingham.

Yeah if Hawkins mashes I wouldn't be shocked if he spent the second half in AA.

I think the Sox desperately want to produce a super star position player from their system and believe Hawkins might be the best bet for that.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 12:33 AM)
Yeah if Hawkins mashes I wouldn't be shocked if he spent the second half in AA.

I think the Sox desperately want to produce a super star position player from their system and believe Hawkins might be the best bet for that.

There's no one in the system who has his potential. If Thompson can further increase his contact rate, he could be a plus-plus power guy in the majors, but we'll see if he can ever hit for any sort of average.

There are a lot of talented players, much more so than in recent years, but Hawkins' ceiling is limitless.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
There's no one in the system who has his potential. If Thompson can further increase his contact rate, he could be a plus-plus power guy in the majors, but we'll see if he can ever hit for any sort of average.

There are a lot of talented players, much more so than in recent years, but Hawkins' ceiling is limitless.

Yeah, Hawkins is his own world as far as our prospects go. It is him, and then everyone else.