When a school lesson goes bad

Texsox

I am doing a lesson on forums, wikis, and blogs for my 8th grade students and need to show them an example of a forum, Doh, I pick this one because I know it so well.

"Then I hear myself say, topics are aranged in order of the most recent to the oldest. You see here that justBLAZE replied three minutes ago."

"Sir, what does justBlaze mean?"

avoiding the answer "these are pseudonyms, or made up names, you would have to ask him"

"Sir, I know!"

moving on . . .

"Wait, what does 'I am drunk in 2013' mean?" oops

Of course I also forgot to turn off avatars and sigs :lolhitting

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
I am doing a lesson on forums, wikis, and blogs for my 8th grade students and need to show them an example of a forum, Doh, I pick this one because I know it so well.

"Then I hear myself say, topics are aranged in order of the most recent to the oldest. You see here that justBLAZE replied three minutes ago."

"Sir, what does justBlaze mean?"

avoiding the answer "these are pseudonyms, or made up names, you would have to ask him"

"Sir, I know!"

moving on . . .

"Wait, what does 'I am drunk in 2013' mean?" oops

Of course I also forgot to turn off avatars and sigs :lolhitting

You're a great and a horrible teacher.

We discusssed swear filters. :lol:

I am focusing on blogs. They will be following one of their choice and writing one. My problem is finding a blog site that is free, accessable (damn firewall), and portable. I don't want them to lose access after the course ends. If I use my course Moodle, outsiders can not read and I want them to share with the rest of the world.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 08:09 PM)
Of all the stupid ideas in the world, this is brilliant.

:lol: Yeah, it's genius!

Followed closely by, having introduced his entire class to this forum, starting a thread on the subject so that any residual lurkers will know exactly which guy their teacher is.

Love it! :lol:

I should have them start posting on some forum, instead they will be blogging at kidblog.org. Easy way to get them to read and write. For the boys I just start some Kobe v. Labron argument. Of course I have to tell them about a guy that played before they were born, Michael Jeffrey Jordan.