Camping and Outdoor Recreation 2013

Texsox

We finally switched from backpacking / tent camping primarily to a pop up camper. I liked the floorplan with a coach, dinette, stove, fridge, and two king size beds. We picked it up from a neighbor who was having their third child and needed some cash. It was in very good to excellent shape. I have a mixture of excitement and mourning the loss of simpler camping. But when we are on the road for 6 - 8 weeks the tent thing was getting rough.

We have a weekend trip set for South Padre (we have Super Bowl Monday off), a week at Big Bend NP for spring break, four or five weeks somewhere between northern Mexico and Isle Royale NP on Lake Superior then meeting up with my folks in St. Germain Wis. for a week on Big St. Germain Lake (resort cabin).

I can't believe how empty my storage unit became when we started pulling out camping gear and loading the pup.

Canoeing in Quetico (Canadian side of the Boundary Waters), for a week, in August. That's the only one on the books for this year for us. Looking forward to it.

It is amazing how different planning these sorts of trips is now, compared to 20 years ago. 20 years ago, doing a trip like that meant a simple map and a compass that only worked some of the time (Canadian Shield iron problems)... now, you can lay a route, campsite data and portage locations into your GPS unit ahead of time, along with background maps with contours.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)
We finally switched from backpacking / tent camping primarily to a pop up camper. I liked the floorplan with a coach, dinette, stove, fridge, and two king size beds. We picked it up from a neighbor who was having their third child and needed some cash. It was in very good to excellent shape. I have a mixture of excitement and mourning the loss of simpler camping. But when we are on the road for 6 - 8 weeks the tent thing was getting rough.

We have a weekend trip set for South Padre (we have Super Bowl Monday off), a week at Big Bend NP for spring break, four or five weeks somewhere between northern Mexico and Isle Royale NP on Lake Superior then meeting up with my folks in St. Germain Wis. for a week on Big St. Germain Lake (resort cabin).

I can't believe how empty my storage unit became when we started pulling out camping gear and loading the pup.

I was in the St. Germain area last summer, I like the northwoods quite a bit.

I'm still a tent camper, but as age continues to set in, I can see making the change someday too...hopefully later than sooner in this case, however.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
Canoeing in Quetico (Canadian side of the Boundary Waters), for a week, in August. That's the only one on the books for this year for us. Looking forward to it.

It is amazing how different planning these sorts of trips is now, compared to 20 years ago. 20 years ago, doing a trip like that meant a simple map and a compass that only worked some of the time (Canadian Shield iron problems)... now, you can lay a route, campsite data and portage locations into your GPS unit ahead of time, along with background maps with contours.

Do you drive out there, or fly in to get to the Canadian side?

Last time I went, we left out of Eli...I figured that was enough road travel at that point and it was time to get in the boat.

I'll probably be putting my pop-up up on craigslist again this year since we didn't have any buyers for it last year. It'll be nice to get a little extra money and get it out of the driveway.

Opening weekend isn't until April 12 for our campground but we are counting down the days until we can get back out there and open our trailer up for the summer.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)
Do you drive out there, or fly in to get to the Canadian side?

Last time I went, we left out of Eli...I figured that was enough road travel at that point and it was time to get in the boat.

We've done both sides... but always drive. This year is Ely, American side, specifically Crane Lake. Then into the western part of Quetico, with a boat hop to the border from the US side outfitter. But I've also done the put in from Canada, which is like 5 more hours of driving (or more). Either way it is a long drive.

We've looked at flying before, but it is somewhat impractical and way more expensive.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
We've done both sides... but always drive. This year is Ely, American side, specifically Crane Lake. Then into the western part of Quetico, with a boat hop to the border from the US side outfitter. But I've also done the put in from Canada, which is like 5 more hours of driving (or more). Either way it is a long drive.

We've looked at flying before, but it is somewhat impractical and way more expensive.

I haven't been able to do a trip like this for a few years now...and it'll be on hold again this Summer as well...next year, however, I may have to make a return trip. The best part of that area is you can go there and never see the same route twice if you so choose (aside from the starting points, anyway.)

Oh, and if you've never read this...it's awesome. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Wild-Danger-Sur...ost+in+the+wild

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
I haven't been able to do a trip like this for a few years now...and it'll be on hold again this Summer as well...next year, however, I may have to make a return trip. The best part of that area is you can go there and never see the same route twice if you so choose (aside from the starting points, anyway.)

Oh, and if you've never read this...it's awesome. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Wild-Danger-Sur...ost+in+the+wild

Ooooo, never seen that book before. Just added it to my list, thanks!

I've been in Quetico, I think, about 10 times now. Put in at 5 of the 6 official put-ins (this year I will do the 6th), been all over the park, and I've seen maybe 5% of the lakes.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
Skiing in Lake Tahoe over Presidents' Day weekend, white water rafting in SW Pennsylvania in July and a week in Glacier in August.

Is your SO a teacher, too, tex?

Yes. Which makes summers really nice.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 10:24 AM)
Feral Hog hunting in Southern Illinois.

Archery? Shotgun? Rifle? Bare hands? The first time I went after one was on a guided archery trip. Damn, staring at 1 500+ boar with tusks from a flimsy ground level blind was a bit unnerving. Thinking all I may do is piss him off if the shot ain't right. Made my already unsteady bow shake. lol Great eating.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
Yes. Which makes summers really nice.

Archery? Shotgun? Rifle? Bare hands? The first time I went after one was on a guided archery trip. Damn, staring at 1 500+ boar with tusks from a flimsy ground level blind was a bit unnerving. Thinking all I may do is piss him off if the shot ain't right. Made my already unsteady bow shake. lol Great eating.

Rifle, and yes great eating :D wild boar sloppy joe!

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
Where in southern Illinois are you talking about?

http://www.heartlandoutdoors.com/forums/viewthread/1477/

The map that the guy posts is pretty accurate, the southernmost counties being hot spots for wild hogs. Since i live in Chicago, its a lot more convenient to go over to fulton county, specifically Spoon River.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
My wife bugs me to become a teacher so we can do this same sort of thing

I'll admit, it is a nice life at this point in our lives. 50+, kids almost settled into their adult lives, we are great travelling companions, and enjoy seeing many of the same sites. A three hour side trip to see Jack Kerouac's boyhood home, a stop on the underground railroad, backpacking to a remote lake. She even is smart enough to check the Sox schedule to see if we are close enough for any games.

But if you don't have a passion for kids and love the job, the work sucks.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 06:00 PM)
I'm pretty new to camping. Started last year after moving to Seattle. So far the family and I have car camped at Rainier, Mt Baker and the Olympic Peninsula.

My team at work is trying to coordinate a backpacking trip in the Cascades this spring.

Been at this for more than 30 years, if you ever have any questions let me know!

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)
Ive actually never hunted while using a tree stand. Are there any advantages to it besides having the high ground and better view?

It really depends on the terrain and the obstacles. I find being on the ground much more exciting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 08:43 PM)
Given who he works for, I don't think he'll be hurting for outdoor expertise.

Probably not, but those people tend to lean more on the hardcore side of the camping experience, which may not help him. I also have experience camping with a 6 month old, all the way up to a 1.5 year old. I've done every type of camping, and over the years I've realize what to pack and not pack, etc.