Boy Scouts Voting on membership standards

Texsox

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-...,0,111554.story

A quick primer on how the Boy Scouts operate.

A local unit (church or non profit civic group) sponsors a unit and pledges to follow all national policies. The local unit is part of a district within a locally run Council. Councils are divided up into regions, the regions report to BSA National. BSA is part of the World Organization of Scouting Movements. Contrary to what many people think Scouting was started outside of the US and each country runs it's own way. For example Eagle Scout rank, the most enduring image, is really an American thing.

Anyway, what the vote will be is to allow the local units to decide membership standards. Strictly speaking it would allow units sponsored by churches that have a well known anti-gay stance to continue to discriminate while also allowing those churches who accept gay members to allow them into the unit. Through a "Scouts for Equality" group I belong to I have met several Scouts of the highest moral and character who happen to be gay. I pray that national gets this right. I also pray that my friends within Scouting who are adamantly opposed will see the light and accept everyone who wishes to join out organization.

• 3 months later...

First thread I found.

Their move today is not a perfect one, it still pretends that gay men are more likely to molest young boys than average and that when you turn 18 you vanish...

But props for a move in the right direction.

Actually the molestation myth is not part of the discussion. It still comes down to the major owners of Troops, the LDS Church, and the Catholic Church are not fully on board. BSA sells a ministry to churches. If you allienate your customers you do not survive. It will take very delicate maneuvering to keep the LDS church in the fold. Boy Scouts is the official youth ministry of the LDS church. They pay and register 100% of their young men into the program. They carry a lot of weight. And as the overall membership numbers have declined, that meant the LDS percentage of the total membership increases.

There are some idiots that sometimes get covered by the media as being worried about molestation and such, but they are on the fringes and not really a part of the process except to possibly scare some people. BSA has a coed program for youth 13-21 and they deal with these issues regularly, so even if there were two guys dating in a Troop, there are established practices in place to guide the leaders.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 24, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
No, it's not to each their own. I don't care if you personally believe that, it's not acceptable to post that on the board.

that the boy scouts are lame? why is that unacceptable?

if i say some other activity group is stupid are you going to ban me? go ahead. i don't see how that is a big "unacceptable post".

Edited by mr_genius

The image is out of date. And even with understanding the modern BSA, some people do think the current activities like camping, surfing, SCUBA, whitewater rafting, sailing, climbing, rappelling, backpacking, shooting sports, equestrian, jet skis, etc are lame. Or that helping other people and doing your best are outdated in today's society.

It certainly is not for every family, it never has been, and never will be. For my family, my son enjoyed Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Boy Scouts. My son and daughter enjoyed Venturing. We've made lifelong friends and had more great times than I can remember.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ May 24, 2013 -> 10:07 AM)
No one cares about this, because the boy scouts are lame.

I do find it odd how much non members do care about these membership issues. For example, you bothered to open the thread to reply. I wonder if you would have if the thread was about Heritage Girls, Baden Powell Scouts, or Royal Rangers?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 25, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
I do find it odd how much non members do care about these membership issues. For example, you bothered to open the thread to reply. I wonder if you would have if the thread was about Heritage Girls, Baden Powell Scouts, or Royal Rangers?

This happens everywhere. Augusta for example.