Miami Steroid clinic thread

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 08:38 AM)
Damn Cesar Carrillo too? He actually lived right around me on the southeast side of Chicago back in the day and I saw him play in little league. That sucks to hear.

i never saw him play here , but living in the "east side" , i saw the two articles about him they have posted up at the little league field. well atleast he got his money lol and his only career win(which i do remember watching) came against the cubs which must be cool for him

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)
If A-rod gets popped again, I think he's played his last game.

It sheds a new light on a lot of last season's going ons. This isn't something they stumbled onto overnight.

I love the idea of going after contracts as part of the penalty for PEDs- It would take away the entire purpose of juicing for what IMO would be a good chunk of those who do. I doubt very much that Bartolo Colon had a burning desire to achieve greatness on the field by carrying the A's through October on his back. Can't imagine that ever being allowed by the MLBPA, though.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
Only the Olympics have a tougher penalty system, and people aren't paid for that.

I'd be OK with like 50, 1 season, lifetime, but as is, baseball's policy is tougher than even football's - you miss 1/4 of the season with increasing penalties after that. In baseball, you miss 1/3 of the season. I think it's plenty fair.

Even the Olympics do not have the mandatory baseline testing like MLB is going to start doing.

The Olympic level competition is a different animal because you will not get unless you succeed. There is a greater temptation to do it at that level because unless you are one of the top 3 in the world there is very little money. The careers are also much shorter for most sports.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
It sheds a new light on a lot of last season's going ons. This isn't something they stumbled onto overnight.

Other than Bartolo are you thinking of someone in particular? I despise mentioning names with no proof, but no one is above suspicion in todays sports world so.......could this possibly be the reason for A.J.'s well above average season?

He never struck me as the type to do this, but again, I would not be totally suprised at anyone on that list.

UPDATE: 9:45 a.m. ET: Though Gio Gonzalez is named several times in the New Times report, the substance listed alongside his name, Aminorip, does not appear to include any substances banned in MLB's drug policy, according to Chris Mottram at Mr. Irrelevant.

"My son works very, very hard, and he's as clean as apple pie," the elder Gonzalez says. "I went to Tony because I needed to lose weight. A friend recommended him, and he did great work for me. But that's it. He never met my son. Never. And if I knew he was doing these things with steroids, do you think I'd be dumb enough to go there?"

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)
Other than Bartolo are you thinking of someone in particular? I despise mentioning names with no proof, but no one is above suspicion in todays sports world so.......could this possibly be the reason for A.J.'s well above average season?

He never struck me as the type to do this, but again, I would not be totally suprised at anyone on that list.

Along with Bartolo, Melky Cabrera & Yasmani Grandal were suspended for PEDs last season, and now all 3 of them were implicated in this scam.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
UPDATE: 9:45 a.m. ET: Though Gio Gonzalez is named several times in the New Times report, the substance listed alongside his name, Aminorip, does not appear to include any substances banned in MLB's drug policy, according to Chris Mottram at Mr. Irrelevant.

"My son works very, very hard, and he's as clean as apple pie," the elder Gonzalez says. "I went to Tony because I needed to lose weight. A friend recommended him, and he did great work for me. But that's it. He never met my son. Never. And if I knew he was doing these things with steroids, do you think I'd be dumb enough to go there?"

Here we go with the cycle of BS...

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)
Other than Bartolo are you thinking of someone in particular?

No, I meant shedding light on A-Rod's season, especially how it ended, and how retirement has all of a sudden crept into the conversation.

You're right, though- there isn't one single player of the 90's-current that anyone can confidently deem as "clean".

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 08:52 AM)
I am too, but it seems like a 50-game suspension isn't enough of a deterrent to not try to get away with it.

The suspension is only a deterrent for proven major leaguers who are looking for that extra juice like A-Rod. If you are a borderline AAAA player, the juice could be the difference between millions in MLB or riding the bus in AAA. The reward is well worth the risk, especially since the testing doesn't seem to be very successful at catching people.