White Sox claim Lars Anderson

LittleHurt05

A Left handed bat at first is always good, but this guy would be one of the only Left Hand fielding first baseman I can remember. Mike Squires was the last White Sox first baseman that I recall who fielded Lefty. Now Squires was fantastic defensively but just think how hard it would be to field that position for most Left Handed infielders. *If* he can hit and catch ground balls, perhaps he can try to switch to playing 3B in the Minors.

The low cost/low risk Lars Anderson deal is similar to the acquisition of Left Handed hitting Catcher Bryan Anderson from the Cards. Both were once touted prospects that barely made it on a Major league roster, then kind of fell off without really getting an extended look at that level. They both have a chance now because we need LH hitting and will need more power after Dunn is gone (which might be this year).

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
A Left handed bat at first is always good, but this guy would be one of the only Left Hand fielding first baseman I can remember. Mike Squires was the last White Sox first baseman that I recall who fielded Lefty. Now Squires was fantastic defensively but just think how hard it would be to field that position for most Left Handed infielders. *If* he can hit and catch ground balls, perhaps he can try to switch to playing 3B in the Minors.

The low cost/low risk Lars Anderson deal is similar to the acquisition of Left Handed hitting Catcher Bryan Anderson from the Cards. Both were once touted prospects that barely made it on a Major league roster, then kind of fell off without really getting an extended look at that level. They both have a chance now because we need LH hitting and will need more power after Dunn is gone (which might be this year).

I would say it would be easier to field the position left-handed than right-handed.

The angle of reception for throws from the infield biases towards the 3rd base side of the 1st-2nd line, simply because there are more infielders and more ground balls that way - that favors a lefty who can extend wider and not run into the baseline problem. Also, for throws on the infield, he has a shorter pivot to make before throwing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
I would say it would be easier to field the position left-handed than right-handed.

The angle of reception for throws from the infield biases towards the 3rd base side of the 1st-2nd line, simply because there are more infielders and more ground balls that way - that favors a lefty who can extend wider and not run into the baseline problem. Also, for throws on the infield, he has a shorter pivot to make before throwing.

Yup, it's pretty well known that left handers are better suited at 1b. A lefty also has a better angle/tagline for pickoff moves at 1b.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
Yup, it's pretty well known that left handers are better suited at 1b. A lefty also has a better angle/tagline for pickoff moves at 1b.

The only advantage a RH has is protecting the line more efficiently and going quickly to the foul line as the glove is on that side. This way he can play a little closer to the 2B.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)
Nothing as a moderator prevents me from saying this...

You contribute absolutely nothing to this site. You started a thread about adding Alex Rodriguez to the White Sox at some point in time in the next 2 years, and then admitted wanting nothing to do with it WHEN YOU STARTED THE THREAD IN THE FIRST PLACE. When called on it, you said NOTHING

Yet, whenever anybody says anything pessimistic or, really, anything that goes against the mold, you are right there there with your {redacted} interjections.

I was only recently "promoted" to moderator status, but that does not dissuade me disliking someone.

I dislike you. In fact, I hate when you post. Anything you post brings the mood of the board down.

That's all

Drunk wite at 7:55 AM?

That's generally when we see these awesome rants of yours.

Nothing as a moderator prevents me from saying this...

You contribute absolutely nothing to this site. You started a thread about adding Alex Rodriguez to the White Sox at some point in time in the next 2 years, and then admitted wanting nothing to do with it WHEN YOU STARTED THE THREAD IN THE FIRST PLACE. When called on it, you said NOTHING

Yet, whenever anybody says anything pessimistic or, really, anything that goes against the mold, you are right there there with your {redacted} interjections.

I was only recently "promoted" to moderator status, but that does not dissuade me disliking someone.

I dislike you. In fact, I hate when you post. Anything you post brings the mood of the board down.

That's all

It's funny that everybody above has criticized this move, but I'm the one that you "get on"...hmmmm.

• 3 weeks later...