2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 12:49 PM)
As he should (most of the time). I have no issues with him going for it at the end of the first half. The play call may have been bad, but the decision wasn't.

It's an interesting argument. I know the odds say to always go for those but I feel that anytime teams actually do, they get stuffed.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)
It's an interesting argument. I know the odds say to always go for those but I feel that anytime teams actually do, they get stuffed.

Bill Barnwell on Grantland is adamant about usually going for it, and I've totally been reading his artictles too often. :lol:

It is an interesting argument,similar to win expectancy in baseball and everyone suddenly turning against sacrifice bunting.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
Bill Barnwell on Grantland is adamant about usually going for it, and I've totally been reading his artictles too often. :lol:

It is an interesting argument,similar to win expectancy in baseball and everyone suddenly turning against sacrifice bunting.

Ya, one of my old roommates(who is a huge grantland fan actually) is all about going for it basically every time. And every time someone gets stuffed it's "well it was a bad play call." I definitely get the odds, and I'm in favor of going for it a majority of the time, but there's definitely times to kick the field goal.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 07:22 PM)
Ya, one of my old roommates(who is a huge grantland fan actually) is all about going for it basically every time. And every time someone gets stuffed it's "well it was a bad play call." I definitely get the odds, and I'm in favor of going for it a majority of the time, but there's definitely times to kick the field goal.

Well, the caveat is "if your team is great in short yardage".

Jags? Probably not. Panthers? Yes. Saints? Yes.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)

One big problem with going for it in short yardage is that teams become dramatically less creative in their playcalling, so I definitely see that as well.

Look how well a "bootleg left" worked for the Denver Broncos last week.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
Frankly, with Jones now out, the right move would be to call up the Chiefs and see if they'd part with a 3rd round pick for him.

I'd give up a conditional 5th. The Falcons have no leverage and trading him anywhere else would be incredibly disrespectful.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
So somebody would have been open!

I'm pretty sure the Falcons only sent 2-3 out on that 4th down play. It was blanketed, plus they were getting good pressure on Ryan too.

Just say I'm right dammit! :P

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
Frankly, with Jones now out, the right move would be to call up the Chiefs and see if they'd part with a 3rd round pick for him.

No way KC should do that. I wouldn't part with anything other than a 6th.

Let's be real, KC's start is nice, but with Denver there they are massive underdogs, even with Tony G. It's a new system from when he was there and it's not worth more than that for half a season. Fasano and Kelce are due back in a couple weeks anyways

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
No way KC should do that. I wouldn't part with anything other than a 6th.

Let's be real, KC's start is nice, but with Denver there they are massive underdogs, even with Tony G. It's a new system from when he was there and it's not worth more than that for half a season. Fasano and Kelce are due back in a couple weeks anyways

Then Atlanta ought to be happy with a 6th or try to push it to a conditional 5th or something like that.

With Jones out, having Gonzalez stuck there is kinda sad. They don't have the roster to compete this year, they may as well get something for him and give him a last hurrah with a team in the hunt.