2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
Agreed. I look at Jay's numbers this year and they were pretty impressive and I thought he was getting better each week. He's still young enough that he has plenty of time left and I think starting over does a disservice to the current weapons we have on offense. I think they need to look for a slot receiver and a center (plus start thinking about a forte replacement) and focus on the dline (and also secondary while perhaps considering a move of Tillman to safety).

There are so many personnel decisions to be made on defense, I don't even know where to begin. I do feel comfortable with Emery at the helm though. Hopefully the offense can carry the rebuilding defense for a year or two and then the two can both play well simultaneously before Cutler hits the wrong side of his career trajectory.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Cutler is done as a Bear. He never made a ton of sense for Trestman's system anyways.

They will get a guy who is smart, has great accuracy and gets rid of the ball quickly.

Basically the anti-Cutler.

Jay Cutler, as of this moment, is 9th in the NFL in completion percentage at 64.8%. He's got a cannon for an arm and a repertoire built up with the receivers. I think they bring him back.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Cutler is done as a Bear. He never made a ton of sense for Trestman's system anyways.

They will get a guy who is smart, has great accuracy and gets rid of the ball quickly.

Basically the anti-Cutler.

Cutler does all those things you listed.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
Cutler does all those things you listed.

How about we add "can stay on the field at least as often as michael vick". (If Cutler misses more than a couple games, Vick will have played more than him the last 3 seasons).

I believe in Emery, but he really can't have a draft as bad as his first draft for a few more years. We really need to hit on a high percentage. That's very hard to do but we don't have the money to keep buying positions on the free agent market.

This is the Bears/Packers all star injured team

QB - Jay Cutler

WR - James Jones and Randall Cobb

TE - Jermichael Finley

RB - James Starks

DL - Henry Melton, Nate Collins, Clay Matthews, Nick Perry

LB - Lance Briggs, Brad Jones and DJ Williams

CB - Casey Hayward and Kelvin Hayden

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 12:49 PM)
This is the Bears/Packers all star injured team

QB - Jay Cutler

WR - James Jones and Randall Cobb

TE - Jermichael Finley

RB - James Starks

DL - Henry Melton, Nate Collins, Clay Matthews, Nick Perry

LB - Lance Briggs, Brad Jones and DJ Williams

CB - Casey Hayward and Kelvin Hayden

You can put peanut in the CB group too. He hasnt been right pretty much all season

I don't like Cutler, but the Bears would be f***ing stupid not to at least franchise him. There's no way in hell they get anyone via the draft or FA that's 1/10th what Cutler is. Without a QB, you're nothing in this league, that's especially true when you have no defense. Add in crazy Brandon Marshall potentially going crazy if his best friend leaves and it's just not worth the risk. Franchise him, draft a QB Trestman thinks he can mold into the next Steve Young and maybe move on in 2015.

Also, f*** the football gods. f*** Angelo for so many terrible drafts. f*** Lovie for being mediocre and wasting a golden opportunity to win with a great defense.

God. Dammit.

Angelo missing on so many drafts after the superbowl year came home to roost this season. It really sucks, but it is true. Emery's first draft is magnified because of it. Angelo literally bought himself some time when he signed Peppers, but now Peppers is looking human and making too much money

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
I don't like Cutler, but the Bears would be f***ing stupid not to at least franchise him. There's no way in hell they get anyone via the draft or FA that's 1/10th what Cutler is. Without a QB, you're nothing in this league, that's especially true when you have no defense. Add in crazy Brandon Marshall potentially going crazy if his best friend leaves and it's just not worth the risk. Franchise him, draft a QB Trestman thinks he can mold into the next Steve Young and maybe move on in 2015.

Also, f*** the football gods. f*** Angelo for so many terrible drafts. f*** Lovie for being mediocre and wasting a golden opportunity to win with a great defense.

God. Dammit.

I just think that its going to be hard for the Bears to win if they are giving Cutler $15mil per year. With the way Trestman wants to run offense Id much prefer a solid QB in the 5-7mil range with the other 10mil being spent on offensive line or defense.

I just am not a big fan of spending that much money on a single player in a sport with a salary cap. The exceptions are Hall of Fame QB/RB, etc.

Also Im just not sure where this Bears team is going. The defense just seems like the wheels fell off. Itll take a draft or 2 to replenish. Might as well suck really bad next year and enter the Winston sweepstakes.

/dream

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
I just think that its going to be hard for the Bears to win if they are giving Cutler $15mil per year. With the way Trestman wants to run offense Id much prefer a solid QB in the 5-7mil range with the other 10mil being spent on offensive line or defense.

I just am not a big fan of spending that much money on a single player in a sport with a salary cap. The exceptions are Hall of Fame QB/RB, etc.

Also Im just not sure where this Bears team is going. The defense just seems like the wheels fell off. Itll take a draft or 2 to replenish. Might as well suck really bad next year and enter the Winston sweepstakes.

/dream

It's going to be a lot harder for the Bears to win without an NFL quarterback.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)

Pretty much this. Matt Flynn signed like a 3/$18 deal with Seattle and proceeded to lose the QB competition. He was dealt to Oakland where he proceeded to lose the QB competition and get cut after having to play 1 game. He signed with the Bills and is now backing up Thad Lewis.

That's what you're getting for that price. Maybe a guy like Colt McCoy. Do people really think Colt McCoy can cut it as an NFL starting QB?

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)

Have you even given Trestman a chance to show what hes supposed to be great at?

Before we start saying the Bears need Cutler, why not have an open mind and see what Trestman can do?

I was extremely pessimistic about the guy, but when Cutler left yesterday it almost seemed that Trestman got more comfortable play calling.

Just in terms of economics its hard to put so much money into Jay Cutler.

Now if this was the Bears from 10 years ago, with really young defense and a QB away from multiple super bowl attempts, sure maybe you over spend. But it just seems that the Bears have a lot of problems right now and are going to need time/money/patience to fix them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
Pretty much this. Matt Flynn signed like a 3/$18 deal with Seattle and proceeded to lose the QB competition. He was dealt to Oakland where he proceeded to lose the QB competition and get cut after having to play 1 game. He signed with the Bills and is now backing up Thad Lewis.

That's what you're getting for that price. Maybe a guy like Colt McCoy. Do people really think Colt McCoy can cut it as an NFL starting QB?

So you pick out arguably one of the worst FA signings in history (Matt Flynn) who was terrible in college, yet you dont mention guys like Terrel Pryor who beat out Matt Flynn?

Interesting use of statistics.

Jay Cutler is over 30 and just does not fit a rebuilding team.

Unless we are living in a dream world where the reason the Bears are losing is offense not defense. Then yes, I agree we need more offense. But right now, Im not sure that even if the Bears had the 49er offense from the 90s that they would win a lot of games with this defense.

And that is the problem. Patch working is just going to further delay the inevitable. The Bears are going to be bad for a year or 2, I just cant really see how you fix that defense faster.

(edit)

Unless you get rid of cutler, spend money on the defense and hope to get a QB that can utilize the fact that the Bears have 2 great WRS. Then maybe, but really the defense just seems to have gotten bad. And Im not sure 1-2 players can fix it over night as I feel some of the core may be done.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
Unless the Bears crater into a top 5 pick, Cutler will be back next year.

The prudent thing to do would be franchise Cutler and draft a guy in the top three rounds. By all accounts this year will be the deepest QB draft in years. Maybe not the sure-fire too end guys like Luck or RGIII but lots of skilled guys. You could get a guy like Mettenbeger in round 3 or hell Aaron Murray or even Johnny Football.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I doubt they are that bad. Even with McCown at Qb they have 2 fantastic WR's a plus rb and a very good te. They will score points. They may even make the playoffs.

Part of the reason I think Jay may not come back is that I think Trestman can actually get this team to score points without him.

Obviously if the Bears cant score, then Cutler should be brought back.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
Have you even given Trestman a chance to show what hes supposed to be great at?

Before we start saying the Bears need Cutler, why not have an open mind and see what Trestman can do?

I was extremely pessimistic about the guy, but when Cutler left yesterday it almost seemed that Trestman got more comfortable play calling.

Just in terms of economics its hard to put so much money into Jay Cutler.

Now if this was the Bears from 10 years ago, with really young defense and a QB away from multiple super bowl attempts, sure maybe you over spend. But it just seems that the Bears have a lot of problems right now and are going to need time/money/patience to fix them.

Half a game does not a quarterback make. They were going up against the worst defense in the league (well, maybe 2nd behind the Bears). McCown looked good, but I really doubt he keeps it up.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
Half a game does not a quarterback make. They were going up against the worst defense in the league (well, maybe 2nd behind the Bears). McCown looked good, but I really doubt he keeps it up.

I doubt McCown can keep it up. But the difference is when Jay went out this time the wheels didnt completely fall off. The Bears offense still looked professional.

So given Trestman's alleged pedigree, I actually think its interesting that a different QB than Cutler will get a shot this year.