2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
Emery needs to completely rebuild the secondary for next year. I'm not sure that's possible, but I didn't think it could be done with the OL either. Here's hoping Melton can come back healthy, because I really don't think its possible to retool the D line and backfield together, and they both need it. Certainly not with Peppers on the payroll.

The defense seems like a lost cause right now, but if they can make some strong moves they can repair a good amount of it with a few moves. Hopefully they can rework Peppers contract again. It will nice to get Briggs back and maybe they can resign DJ Williams. They need to get rid of Anderson for sure and at minimum need 1 new starting safety and another defensive tackle and probably a corner. Look what they did to the offense in one offseason, 4 new starting offensive lineman and a tight end.

It remains to be seen if Bostic or Green will be able to become competent starters, but its at least nice to have some youth at the position. SMc also had a very nice game against Green Bay so maybe he can contribute. If they can tweak the secondary and shore up the dline they might be able to turn it around pretty quickly.

Edited by DrunkBomber

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
The defense seems like a lot cause right now, but if they can make some strong moves they can repair a good amount of it with a few moves. Hopefully they can rework Peppers contract again. It will nice to get Briggs back and maybe they can resign DJ Williams. They need to get rid of Anderson for sure and at minimum need 1 new starting safety and another defensive tackle and probably a corner. Look what they did to the offense in one offseason, 4 new starting offensive lineman and a tight end.

It remains to be seen if Bostic or Green will be able to become competent starters, but its at least nice to have some youth at the position. SMc also had a very nice game against Green Bay so maybe he can contribute. If they can tweak the secondary and shore up the dline they might be able to turn it around pretty quickly.

I think that a coaching change needs to happen on that side of the ball as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
I think that a coaching change needs to happen on that side of the ball as well.

Im still on the fence about Tucker. He never really had a chance this season with all the injuries. I wouldnt be opposed to a change but its obviously very unlikely after one season. Emery has been solid with addressing team needs so far so hopefully that continues.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
Im still on the fence about Tucker. He never really had a chance this season with all the injuries. I wouldnt be opposed to a change but its obviously very unlikely after one season. Emery has been solid with addressing team needs so far so hopefully that continues.

That defense looked awful when healthy.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 08:36 PM)
Packers sign Flynn

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000028...o-sign-contract

I told you gosox05!

Working on a record of new teams within a season.

In the spring he was in Seattle, then traded to the Raiders, then cut and picked up by Buffalo, then cut and now picked up by Green Bay.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
Chiefs go from 2-14 to 8-0.

Two 0-8 teams get their first win on the same weekend.

Colts beat 9-1 Seattle, 8-1 Denver and 6-3 San Francisco but lose to 4-5 Miami, 4-5 San Diego, and 3-6 Oakland.

This season NFL has been WTF.

And the st. louis beat down on the colts.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 08:36 PM)
Packers sign Flynn

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000028...o-sign-contract

I told you gosox05!

I think they only signed him was because if Scott Tolzien gets hurt this Sunday, they would need someone that could run the offense. Bad arm or not.

Way things are going for the Packers, I fully expect Flynn to play and throw 5 td's. He will then sign a 15 million dollar deal with the Jaguars.

I'm of the opinion that Peppers still could be useful to the bears if he played more situationally. Yes, he's not getting paid for that but we're beyond that point.

The fact that the bears don't have enough dline bodies to switch them out and keep them fresh has been just as big a factor as the lack of talent. Being able to switch in Wootton, Shea, and Izzy as opposed to just have your starters go 100% of snaps is not the way the NFL or College is going nowadays.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
Isnt Peppers cap hit insane next season if he stays on the roster? I thought I remembered when they reworked his deal this year, it basically sealed the deal that he will not be a Bear next season

So, it's a huge cap hit if he's not on roster, and a huge cap hit if he stays on roster?

Fun contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 08:15 AM)
It costs the Bears something like $7 million to cut him.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
I thought the re-work prior to the season got them out of that?

We owe him $8M if we cut him and $18M if he stays. Him staying will make retaining Cutler difficult and any other moves of note damn near impossible

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
We owe him $8M if we cut him and $18M if he stays. Him staying will make retaining Cutler difficult and any other moves of note damn near impossible

Considering how insignificant he has been, I would think that $10 million in cap room saved is worth paying him not to play.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
Considering how insignificant he has been, I would think that $10 million in cap room saved is worth paying him not to play.

I agree. There's a version of him that is worth $18M. I sincerely believe that as recently as last year he's been perhaps the best defensive player in the NFL. That guy hasn't been around this year and I don't have any info to suggest that he's coming back

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)

IIRC, even with Peppers's contract on the books fully...the Bears will have well over $30 million in cap space going into the offseason. If they want to retain Cutler they have plenty of room to do so and should be able to make a number of other decent additions as well.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
I thought the re-work prior to the season got them out of that?

The Re-working this season actually increased that number. They reworked his deal to reduce the cap hit this season, but when you do that it increases the hit you take if you cut him the next year. They've been gradually moving his cap hit forward in time each of the last 2 offseasons.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
IIRC, even with Peppers's contract on the books fully...the Bears will have well over $30 million in cap space going into the offseason. If they want to retain Cutler they have plenty of room to do so and should be able to make a number of other decent additions as well.

I dont know about that. There are a lot of key players off the books next season, like over half the team. It is gonna be a crazy offseason

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
It costs the Bears something like $7 million to cut him.

It's still 11M that can go else where though. He's given the Bears a whole lot of nothing. I'd rather go out there with Wootton/SMC/Bass/Washington and the 11M.

EDIT- I think I either missed that there was another page or that just escalated rather quickly....I'm sure my post was already said.

Edited by scs787