2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
I was hoping the Lions would keep Jim Schwartz, but it's nice to see him get the boot.

he didnt bother me so much until his infamous handshake meltdown with Harbaugh last year, and then when he started throwing down his headset after wins this season like he was spiking a football.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
I still don't understand why the Bears burned a TO and didn't challenge the Jeffery near TD. The worst thing that happens is they are out of challenges. I think as long as you need a TO anyway, take a chance. If it goes your way, you get 6 and save the TO.

One play no one is talking about was the lateral after the Jeffery fumble at the end of the first half. It was a forward lateral and wasn't even close. It was received 3 yards in front of where it was tossed. That gets called, it changes things up at the end of the first half.

We were going back and forth on that challenge decision. Because they lost that challenge on the punt touchback, they would have been out of challenges even if it was called a touchdown. I think Trestman was worried about needing another challenge later and put faith in his offense that they could gain the one half yard, even though they had struggled with it all year.

Speaking of coaching decisions, how in the hell did McCarthy not go for two in the 4th? They obviously won the game, but had it finished 28-27, he would have had a lot of explaining to do.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
But the replays showed neither were on the line. There are calls where you know they probably should be reversed but they won't because the evidence isn't necessarily indisputable, like the Quarles non catch yesterday. But that one boggles my mind. They have angles showing neither Bear was on the line.

CLEARLY not on the line.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
This. I still don't know how it wasn't overturned. I'd appreciate an explanation from the league, but there's no way that will ever happen.

Clete Blakeman is the worst, he never explains decisions.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
We were going back and forth on that challenge decision. Because they lost that challenge on the punt touchback, they would have been out of challenges even if it was called a touchdown. I think Trestman was worried about needing another challenge later and put faith in his offense that they could gain the one half yard, even though they had struggled with it all year.

Speaking of coaching decisions, how in the hell did McCarthy not go for two in the 4th? They obviously won the game, but had it finished 28-27, he would have had a lot of explaining to do.

All coaches have their cheat sheet to tell them when or when not to go for two. He's must have said take the one. Look at it this way. There was a lot of time left in the game and neither team could really stop the other. If McCarthy went for two and failed, the score would be 28-26. Had the Bears drove down field and scored a touchdown, all of the sudden it is a two score game as the score would be 35-26 with probably not very much time left. In that situation I think it was the right call to take the point, trust your defense to hold them to no more than a field goal and keep it a one score game.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
All coaches have their cheat sheet to tell them when or when not to go for two. He's must have said take the one. Look at it this way. There was a lot of time left in the game and neither team could really stop the other. If McCarthy went for two and failed, the score would be 28-26. Had the Bears drove down field and scored a touchdown, all of the sudden it is a two score game as the score would be 35-26 with probably not very much time left. In that situation I think it was the right call to take the point, trust your defense to hold them to no more than a field goal and keep it a one score game.

Ya but as you said you don't trust your defense. Think about it...you're not going for two there just so you can possibly go for two later? That makes no sense.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)

IMO that's a flawed strategy though because you become so dependent on the two point conversion. Had Jeffrey made that catch and then the Bears scored, it would have been 35-27. On the Packers drive, they most likely would have tried to run out clock to not leave the Bears much time if they tie it. If you don't get the two, then suddenly you have very little time and need some luck to get the ball back.

If you go for two right away and miss, then it's 35-26 and yes, it's a two score game. But then you know you need two scores and can plan accordingly and play quicker. Set your defense up for a three and out, instead of a late onside kick. It just seems to make more sense to give yourself options and know what you need to do, as opposed to depending on converting a two point conversion at the end.

Not to mention, while it had become a shootout, it was the 4th quarter and they were one yard from losing by that one point.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
Ya but as you said you don't trust your defense. Think about it...you're not going for two there just so you can possibly go for two later? That makes no sense.

You're not going for two because you want to keep it within one score no matter what happens. The key is that there was still 11-12 minutes left in the game which all but guaranteed the Packers would get another posession. If there were 6-7 minutes left, he would have gone for two no questions asked. The way I always hear people say it is that you don't chase points until you have to. 11 plus minutes left is not yet crunch time.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
What do you call jumping on a player after he has been tackled?

He didn't do anything to crazy, but we all know what Shea had in mind when he jumped on Rodgers.

So now we are accusing McClellin of being a dirty player?Do you consider the tackle that led to Rodgers broken collarbone earlier in the season a dirty play?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
You're not going for two because you want to keep it within one score no matter what happens. The key is that there was still 11-12 minutes left in the game which all but guaranteed the Packers would get another posession. If there were 6-7 minutes left, he would have gone for two no questions asked. The way I always hear people say it is that you don't chase points until you have to. 11 plus minutes left is not yet crunch time.

It's flawed logic though. Either way in your scenario you're going to need a 2 point conversion, it doesn't make sense to wait for attempting it especially when you can tie the game up with going for it right away.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
It's flawed logic though. Either way in your scenario you're going to need a 2 point conversion, it doesn't make sense to wait for attempting it especially when you can tie the game up with going for it right away.

That's why I said you trust your defense to hold them to a FG or less knowing you are going to get the ball back. Worst case scenario you still have the opportunity to go for two to tie at the end. If you go for two and fail and the Bears score a TD, it's basically game over and you have no options. The way the game was going, I don't think anybody in their right mind would have thought the go would go to overtime at 28-28.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
That's why I said you trust your defense to hold them to a FG or less knowing you are going to get the ball back. Worst case scenario you still have the opportunity to go for two to tie at the end. If you go for two and fail and the Bears score a TD, it's basically game over and you have no options. The way the game was going, I don't think anybody in their right mind would have thought the go would go to overtime at 28-28.

So you're down 4 instead of potentially 3 or 5?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)

Not at all. There still would have been like 5 or 6 minutes left. The only difference is that you play a hurry-up offense because you know you need two scores. Drive down the field quickly and score, make them go 3 and out, then you have a chance to win the game. It's better than missing a two point conversion with 30 seconds left, then being forced to onside kick as your only hope.

And it's a bit contradictory to say that no one expected the game to finish 28-28, yet you trust your defense to hold them to a FG or less.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
How can you say that when you quoted me? LOL it's all good man. I thought we were talking about missed calls for a bit so I thought I'd chime in. All in all the Bears had plenty of opportunities to end the Packer's seasons. 3-4 4th downs and the Packers converted on each one. That's playing better when it counts.

Enjoy the victory because the 49ers are going to send you guys golfing.

This.

Even if the Bears would've won yesterday, I would'nt expect us to beat SF. High scoring teams with crap defenses don't go far in the postseason. GB is gonna get GOREd to death.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
So now we are accusing McClellin of being a dirty player?Do you consider the tackle that led to Rodgers broken collarbone earlier in the season a dirty play?

No, that play that hurt Rodgers was just because of the way he landed.

I don't care if McClellin is dirty or not. He won't be in the NFL very much longer.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
So you're down 4 instead of potentially 3 or 5?

You guys can argue it all you want, but I just about guarantee McCarthy was thinking the same thing I am. The majority of coaches in the NFL are not going to chase points with that much time left on the clock. There's a reason McCarthy is making $5 million a year as a HC and why we're sitting here arguing on a message board.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
You guys can argue it all you want, but I just about guarantee McCarthy was thinking the same thing I am. The majority of coaches in the NFL are not going to chase points with that much time left on the clock. There's a reason McCarthy is making $5 million a year as a HC and why we're sitting here arguing on a message board.

Meh. Coaches are actually remarkably inept in understanding time and score and clock management.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
Meh. Coaches are actually remarkably inept in understanding time and score and clock management.

Tim Beckman gets paid a lot more than you do to coach football! He clearly knows what he's doing....

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
Tim Beckman gets paid a lot more than you do to coach football! He clearly knows what he's doing....

You think you know more about football than Tim Beckman? Then go try to find a head coaching job and see how far you get.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)

Even if the majority of coaches in the NFL would have kicked the extra point, that doesn't mean it was the right decision. He makes $5 million a year because of everything else he does with the team, not because of his inability to add 26 and 2.

More brilliant work by Bears fans...

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/grizzly-de...-237996071.html

Photos and Videos

What Happens to Free Agents?

WATCH

What Happens

to Free Agents?

Game Photos: Bears vs. Packers

LOOK

PHOTOS

Game Photos:

Bears vs. Packers

More Photos and Videos

In the age of social media, fans are able to connect with their favorite athletes quicker and easier than ever before. In an instant and with just a few keystrokes, a person can tweet at an athlete and weigh in on any topic their heart desires.

Unfortunately, there are times when that power is abused, and we saw such an incident on Sunday. When Chicago Bears safety Chris Conte peeled off his coverage of Green Bay Packers WR Randall Cobb and allowed him to waltz into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown, the internet exploded in a fit of rage.

Some of it was directed at the Twitter account @ChrisConte, but there’s one problem:

The account doesn't belong to the Chris Conte that plays for the Bears. Rather, the owner is Nashville-area reporter Chris Conte who was the recipient of the vitriol, and it took a while for folks to get the memo that they were flaming the wrong person.

Ironically, Chicago Conte deleted his Twitter account earlier this season after fans razzed him ferociously on the website.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/grizzly-de...l#ixzz2ozSFS0WO

So First Year coaches and their win differential between last year

Marc Trestman -2

Mike McCoy +1

Andy Reid +9

Bruce Arians +5

Gus Bradley +2

Chip Kelley+6

Doug Marrone - no change

Rob Chudzinski -1*

*Fired

Posted without comment.