2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 02:12 PM)
I doubt McCown can keep it up. But the difference is when Jay went out this time the wheels didnt completely fall off. The Bears offense still looked professional.

So given Trestman's alleged pedigree, I actually think its interesting that a different QB than Cutler will get a shot this year.

The playing calling really changed to recognize the change at QB. Everything became much shorter and quicker. They ran that quick out to the WR a bunch of times.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
The playing calling really changed to recognize the change at QB. Everything became much shorter and quicker. They ran that quick out to the WR a bunch of times.

It is my understanding that is Trestman's preferred offense. He just had slightly changed it for Cutler.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)

The balls were crisp and right on the numbers though, which is more than I can remember from a Bears' backup in a long time. I thought he looked great, and I have confidence that he will continue to play well.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
So you pick out arguably one of the worst FA signings in history (Matt Flynn) who was terrible in college, yet you dont mention guys like Terrel Pryor who beat out Matt Flynn?

Interesting use of statistics.

Jay Cutler is over 30 and just does not fit a rebuilding team.

Unless we are living in a dream world where the reason the Bears are losing is offense not defense. Then yes, I agree we need more offense. But right now, Im not sure that even if the Bears had the 49er offense from the 90s that they would win a lot of games with this defense.

And that is the problem. Patch working is just going to further delay the inevitable. The Bears are going to be bad for a year or 2, I just cant really see how you fix that defense faster.

(edit)

Unless you get rid of cutler, spend money on the defense and hope to get a QB that can utilize the fact that the Bears have 2 great WRS. Then maybe, but really the defense just seems to have gotten bad. And Im not sure 1-2 players can fix it over night as I feel some of the core may be done.

I didn't mention Terrell Pryor because he wasn't a free agent but was an incredibly raw but talented product drafted out of Ohio State who took almost 2 years on the sideline for the Raiders to even think about getting him in a game. I did mention Matt Flynn (who is not even close to the worst signing in the history of the game) because that is the type of talent you are going to get. I mean, if you are comfortable with Josh McCown, then maybe that's who they roll with.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)
It is my understanding that is Trestman's preferred offense. He just had slightly changed it for Cutler.

I saw the same exact plays being called - couple of reverses to Jeffrey, inside draws to Forte, slants, screens, etc. All plays that the Bears have run before. I think the difference is (1) the crappy defense and (2) McCown getting rid of the ball a little faster than Jay.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
I saw the same exact plays being called - couple of reverses to Jeffrey, inside draws to Forte, slants, screens, etc. All plays that the Bears have run before. I think the difference is (1) the crappy defense and (2) McCown getting rid of the ball a little faster than Jay.

It's also not the same connection (reliance) with Marshall. I think the ball will get spread around a bit more with Josh.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
The balls were crisp and right on the numbers though, which is more than I can remember from a Bears' backup in a long time. I thought he looked great, and I have confidence that he will continue to play well.

I won't have confidence until I see him do it against a defense that doesn't give up 30+ points per game and has a week to gameplan for him.

I dont know why you mentioned Matt Flynn. A Matt Flynn type signing would be the last thing I would ever suggest (player who is bad in college, does not prove himself in NFL, gets hyped by being a back up.)

I could be persuaded into a Alex Smith signing (1st round draft pick, some success in NFL, years of experience), but never Matt Flynn.

As for McCown, hes not a long term answer. But the question is, what are the Bears doing? Are they trying to win in the next 1-3 years, or are they trying to win in the next 3-5.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
I dont know why you mentioned Matt Flynn. A Matt Flynn type signing would be the last thing I would ever suggest (player who is bad in college, does not prove himself in NFL, gets hyped by being a back up.)

I could be persuaded into a Alex Smith signing (1st round draft pick, some success in NFL, years of experience), but never Matt Flynn.

So now you are talking about giving up a high second round pick as well as the inevitable contract extension as well. You are talking about bringing in a legitimately good, potential top 10 quarterback in the league.

Cutler, BTW, is all of 1 year older than Alex Smith.

As for McCown, hes not a long term answer. But the question is, what are the Bears doing? Are they trying to win in the next 1-3 years, or are they trying to win in the next 3-5.

This is the $64,000 question. If you are going to try and win a Superbowl in the next 3-5 years, then re-sign Cutler and be resigned to the idea that you are hitching your wagon to him. I think their offense is too good to simply blow it up. Just and rebuild and retool a defense on the fly. Maybe it's time to switch schemes on defense.

Even though I doubt McCown can keep it up, I feel more comfortable with him than our backups of last three years (including Jason Campbell).

He's stepped in time and again and performed better than our other trash backups.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
So now you are talking about giving up a high second round pick as well as the inevitable contract extension as well. You are talking about bringing in a legitimately good, potential top 10 quarterback in the league.

Cutler, BTW, is all of 1 year older than Alex Smith.

This is the $64,000 question. If you are going to try and win a Superbowl in the next 3-5 years, then re-sign Cutler and be resigned to the idea that you are hitching your wagon to him. I think their offense is too good to simply blow it up. Just and rebuild and retool a defense on the fly. Maybe it's time to switch schemes on defense.

Well if it was up to me the Bears would have drafted a young QB years ago (I argued for some guy named Russel Wilson).

But given what the Bears have, id still likely go the young route. I just like to have at least 1 young QB on the roster with promise.

I just cant justify Cutler at $15mil plus for 5-7 years, which is what he will want. 1 year franchise, sure, but that means you have 1 year to find your next QB.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
Even though I doubt McCown can keep it up, I feel more comfortable with him than our backups of last three years (including Jason Campbell).

He's stepped in time and again and performed better than our other trash backups.

I think the coaching is the difference rather than the player. It was clear he was prepared and knew the offense.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:25 PM)
I think the coaching is the difference rather than the player. It was clear he was prepared and knew the offense.

True but I have found him a more competent backup in more than this case. Wasn't it him who started v. GB and Minny 2 years ago? He was a true replacement in that we probably only lost 4 ppg with him rather than 15 ppg with Hanie.

McCown is smart and tough. He's not afraid of the spotlight or the pressure and is reasonably good at not making backbreaking mistakes because of it. His mistakes will be due to the deficiencies in his talent.

There are too many weapons on offense to try to tear it down and roll the dice on a random rookie QB. It almost never makes sense to "rebuild" in the NFL anyway since it typically can be done in very short order

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 06:37 PM)
McCown is smart and tough. He's not afraid of the spotlight or the pressure and is reasonably good at not making backbreaking mistakes because of it. His mistakes will be due to the deficiencies in his talent.

There are too many weapons on offense to try to tear it down and roll the dice on a random rookie QB. It almost never makes sense to "rebuild" in the NFL anyway since it typically can be done in very short order

This. It's just like the White Sox rebuild talks. I think you retool the defense and keep the offense as is.

Spend your first 3 picks on the defense, preferably DT/S/CB in some order. Look into potentially cutting Peppers and bringing in MartyBs bro Micheal to take over. Then check in with Melton to see how he's coming along and potentially bring him back on a discounted deal.

I think they're too close to being contenders, esp. on offense, to tear it all down.

The only radical thing I wouldn't mind seeing them do is moving to a 3-4.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 08:21 AM)
Chiefs now 7-0! :D

Wonder what kind of odds you could have gotten on them to be the last undefeated team at the start of the season?

Next two games home vs Cleveland and @ Buffalo. Could very well be 9-0 going into their bye week before playing Denver in weeks 11 and 13

I'm not sure if Vegas does odds for the last team being undefeated, probably do but I would've easily put a little money on KC because of the first half of their schedule and the odds would've turned out such a high payout.

I was expecting KC to go 5-4, hopefully 6-3 before the bye week. I thought if things went well for them they could get to 7-2.

The game vs. Buffalo scares me because KC and Buffalo will have played for 6 straight years and so far posting a 1-4 record against the Bills. The only win came in late OT at home with the Bills being 0-6 going into the game.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
Freeman just looks brutal. I really believed he was going to be one of the good young quarterbacks about halfway through last year.

All the physical tools are there, apparently something is missing between the ears.