2013-2014 NFL Thread

Well that was quite the game to have been at. Everyone knew what was coming, it's so ridiculous that the start of the game wasn't just delayed until 3:00. Although I'm sure TV and advertising had a major say on that. The evacuation was pretty calm and orderly, although they closed all concessions for a while which got some people a bit antsy.

I keep giving up on this team, and yet they keep dragging me back in. Back in the playoff hunt again, but that loss to Detroit with injured Jay is still killer.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am feeling really good about Jon Bostic. After a rough first appearance and first start, he's been excellent. He still needs to learn some discipline in the run game, but he's still doing very well. I'm shocked how well he's been in pass coverage. He leads all inside linebackers in coverage snaps per reception with 24, per PFF. The last time they measured a player that high was Urlacher in 2008. We'll see if Bostic can keep pace.

I don't want to be that fan, btw, but at what point do you start thinking about keeping McCown next season and letting Cutler walk?

I'm not about to argue that McCown is actually a better player, but we're rapidly approaching salary cap hell and Cutler is likely to be really f***ing expensive. If Trestman is going to turn any ol' asshole into a starting caliber QB, how much do you want to invest in Cutler? I have to think it has at least crossed the minds of Emery and Trestman that maybe, just maybe, it could make sense to keep McCown, draft a QB high, and invest in the defense.

Either way, I'd really hesitate investing in Cutler long term. Franchise tag seems like the smartest way to keep him.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 08:07 AM)
I don't want to be that fan, btw, but at what point do you start thinking about keeping McCown next season and letting Cutler walk?

I'm not about to argue that McCown is actually a better player, but we're rapidly approaching salary cap hell and Cutler is likely to be really f***ing expensive. If Trestman is going to turn any ol' asshole into a starting caliber QB, how much do you want to invest in Cutler? I have to think it has at least crossed the minds of Emery and Trestman that maybe, just maybe, it could make sense to keep McCown, draft a QB high, and invest in the defense.

Either way, I'd really hesitate investing in Cutler long term. Franchise tag seems like the smartest way to keep him.

It's not a terrible idea. No one is doubting that Cutler is the superior talent and probably better overall QB (I say probably because what Jay does to help you, he also can hurt you whereas McCown is simply not turning the ball over right now).

The question is are the Bears better off as a team with McCown as the starter next year with a top-three-round QB as second string and that Cutler money going to fill many defensive needs? Or are the Bears better with Jay as the starting QB to the detriment of the other needs? Right now, I am not sure. All I know is that the $20 million that would go to Cutler would pay two or three really solid starters on defense.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)

Completely agree and I'm one of Cutler's bigger supporters usually.

If you look at a guy like Rich Gannon's career it isn't too far off from how McCown's. He was a mediocre QB before Oakland where he then pulled off 4 straight pro bowl seasons from ages 34-37.

The franchise tag would probably be what they would do if they decided to keep him, but isn't it the average of the top 5 salaries at your position? That would still be a ton of guaranteed money for one year.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 08:07 AM)

I would franchise tag him myself. I wouldn't get too carried away with McCown just yet, although it does start to make you wonder. Franchise tag gives you the best of both worlds IMO.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 08:03 AM)
I am feeling really good about Jon Bostic. After a rough first appearance and first start, he's been excellent. He still needs to learn some discipline in the run game, but he's still doing very well. I'm shocked how well he's been in pass coverage. He leads all inside linebackers in coverage snaps per reception with 24, per PFF. The last time they measured a player that high was Urlacher in 2008. We'll see if Bostic can keep pace.

He will be much better when he stops overrunning his gaps on runs. Teams always throw a lineman at him to throw him out of the run lane and they cut back on him a lot.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)
Oh, not the let's get rid of Cutler for McCown talk.

I thought Tolzien looked really good yesterday for a 0 TD, 3 INT performance. There are obviously some really poor throws in there, but for making his first career start and second appearance, he showed off a great arm

As frustrated as I was with Mel Tucker early in the season with a largely healthy defense, I've become impressed with how we are playing with a completely decimated defense. The D isn't playing good, but we are actually staying in games now. I hope we can keep it up and continue to get some production from rookies and other relative unknowns.

Other side note: how completely f***ing s***ty must Cornelius Washington be to not get a single snap on defense throughout all this bulls***? People thought he might go as high as the second round but he's been beaten out for playing time by guys like David Bass (who admittedly has done okay)

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)
Oh, not the let's get rid of Cutler for McCown talk.

It is not get rid of Cutler, it is, is Cutler who will hopefully play 12 games for you a season as he is injured often, worth the contract he will be looking for and will likely receive. He will be looking at 13-15M a year.

I still can not figure out how Trestman was never given a head coaching job.

Mel Tucker is earning his money and the defense is looking serviceable. If the Loveman was running that defense with those injuries it would be a really bad state of affairs right now.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)
It is not get rid of Cutler, it is, is Cutler who will hopefully play 12 games for you a season as he is injured often, worth the contract he will be looking for and will likely receive. He will be looking at 13-15M a year.

I still can not figure out how Trestman was never given a head coaching job.

Mel Tucker is earning his money and the defense is looking serviceable. If the Loveman was running that defense with those injuries it would be a really bad state of affairs right now.

How can anyone conclude the defense would be worse if Lovie were here? That is just total BS.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)
I thought Tolzien looked really good yesterday for a 0 TD, 3 INT performance. There are obviously some really poor throws in there, but for making his first career start and second appearance, he showed off a great arm

Really only one of those INT was really bad, the first one. The second one JPP just made a crazy play on it and the last INT didn't really matter cause the game was about over.

What I like about him is he isn't afraid to throw down field. Most back ups come in and just throw check down after check down. Tolzien yesterday was for 4 for 4 on passes throw over 20 yards and 6 for 6 over 15 yards.

He should be have a edge on the back up spot next year.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
Really only one of those INT was really bad, the first one. The second one JPP just made a crazy play on it and the last INT didn't really matter cause the game was about over.

What I like about him is he isn't afraid to throw down field. Most back ups come in and just throw check down after check down. Tolzien yesterday was for 4 for 4 on passes throw over 20 yards and 6 for 6 over 15 yards.

He should be have a edge on the back up spot next year.

jason_campbell-512x300.jpg

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)
gosox05, when are they speculating Rodgers comes back?

This week or next. With this week being a big maybe. Everyone seems to think the Thanksgiving game. I have my doubts on that game as well.

I pray every night to the football gods for a speedy return. So we will see if that helps.

I've been a huge Cutler supporter, but I think the Bears finally have an offensive "System" where any ol QB with an accurate arm will thrive. It's really hard not to find success when you get to throw the ball to Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, and Forte in a west coast offense. I'm really torn on this. I think, even with Jay getting ~16M on a franchise tag that the Bears will still have enough money to put together a competent enough defense. On the flip side you can go with McCown with a year or 2 while drafting a QB and build a defense that will be more than competent.

Made this post over on talkbears in reference to the Bears having 26M after giving Jay 16M and you take out the money needed for the draft.

I would dump Peppers and get that 26M number up to 37M

I can't imagine Melton making the 8M he made this year so lets call him 6M

Slauson 4M, move him inside with Brown taking over at OG...(Perhaps not plausible)

Tillman and Jennings lets call them 12M combined, but there's a chance one might not return.

Garza is either not gonna make a lot of money or replaced by Slausson/Rookie.

Wright, if he's on the team next year, hasn't earned more than say 2M? and that's pushing it.

The injuries at DT really help the bears out with Wooton, he wasn't able to show his worth out there. I think he gets 3M on a 1 year deal.

Gould probably gets 3M, and I wouldn't be against them letting him go try to make 4M elsewhere.

Collins can probably be brought back for a Mill as well.

McCown MIGHT get 2M. He's been good so far, but he is what he is.

If my calculations are correct, that's 3M left with the possibility that they don't resign Gould and one of Tillman/Jennings too add on another 9.

Then you have potential cuts in guys like Bush and Earl Bennett who can give you another 2M.

That gives you potentially some where between 4-15M to build depth.

Sound about right?

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 11:03 PM)
I think what's solidified Peyton for me is how he left Indy and completely remade the Broncos offense in his style once more. Obviously denver had loads of talent for him. But I just think if you take Brees, who really win-wise and numbers wise has been just as impressive, and put him without Sean Payton he is lesser (we have seen this). Peyton just dominates the personality of the team and forces it to be good.

Edit: I forgot how good Brees was in second half of last year. I guess I agree I'd take Peyton, but Brees will be a close second at this point.

Some guys need a good offense to be good, like Cutler for example. Peyton takes ordinary guys and turns them into pro bowlers. Having weapons is just a bonus for him.

I was all aboard the Josh McCown train until my buddy pointed out that he is 34 already. I was shocked.

I am hesitant to give Cutler a long-term deal, but it would take big, big balls to let him go after what we've gone through on the qb front over the past 3 decades.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
I was all aboard the Josh McCown train until my buddy pointed out that he is 34 already. I was shocked.

I am hesitant to give Cutler a long-term deal, but it would take big, big balls to let him go after what we've gone through on the qb front over the past 3 decades.

Well, you wouldn't retain McCown and dump Cutler unless you had a rookie/other young QB in the fold who you hoped to pass things off to after one or two seasons.