2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 06:42 AM)
Wade Phillips as ST coach? I dont think he will be taking a step back from DC to be a ST coach. The Texans may suck, but IIRC their defense is still top 5. Im sure many teams will be looking for him as a DC if the Texans dont hang on to him

I was referring to Wade as being our DC if we fire Tucker. I don't know that Tucker had a fair shake but the piss poor fundamentals of this defense are sickening and I wouldn't have a problem if Tucker was fired for it.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
I was referring to Wade as being our DC if we fire Tucker. I don't know that Tucker had a fair shake but the piss poor fundamentals of this defense are sickening and I wouldn't have a problem if Tucker was fired for it.

Now that I would be all over

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 11:02 PM)
Still can't get over those catches by Jeffery two straight weeks. Unbelievable. Never thought he could/would be breaking more records in the Bears franchise's history (WR group) than Marshall.

There's only one WR in the entire league I'd deal Alshon for - great pick by Emery.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
It's a feel good story about Josh McCown after being out of the league and all that, but the Bears are high if they go with him over Cutler next year.

The question is, does Cutler fit in this system? Josh McCown is not the answer to the future but it is a barometer as to whether Jay is or not in this system.

I just cannot get over how strong Alshons hands are. Everytime he makes a catch, it is perfect form, point in the triangle, and the ball does not move at all. Last nights endzone catch was amazing because he kept his feet in bounds, but the catch in Minnesota was unreal because of how much he was moving and the ball didnt even shift

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
The question is, does Cutler fit in this system? Josh McCown is not the answer to the future but it is a barometer as to whether Jay is or not in this system.

I think so, why not? He's clearly involved in the entire process and I think would elevate this offense just that much more. Its a testament to our staff that they can get a lame-duck like McCown to perform this well.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)

Emery is in a tough spot. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

McCown could be a stop gap for a year as they groom the next QB from the draft.

Here are your choices next year:

(1) Resign Cutler and make minimal improvements to the defense.

(2) Let Cutler walk and make moderate improvements to the defense.

If your goal is to win in the next 2 years, you choose option 2. This is their window. Right now before all of their aging defensive stars are too old to play. I think Tillman (resign him) and Briggs have another year or two left in them. Sign at least one decent safety and draft another along with some pass rushers. Then hope that Bostic develops after an offseason and Briggs is still at his pro-bowl form.

IMO if they resign Cutler you're looking at the same team as this year - around .500, no serious threat to make the playoffs or make any noise once you get there because the defense will still be terrible. And you can't be confident that Cutler would actually play the whole year. He's injury prone.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)

If your goal is to win in the next 2 years, you choose option 2. This is their window. Right now before all of their aging defensive stars are too old to play. I think Tillman (resign him) and Briggs have another year or two left in them. Sign at least one decent safety and draft another along with some pass rushers. Then hope that Bostic develops after an offseason and Briggs is still at his pro-bowl form.

IMO if they resign Cutler you're looking at the same team as this year - around .500, no serious threat to make the playoffs or make any noise once you get there because the defense will still be terrible. And you can't be confident that Cutler would actually play the whole year. He's injury prone.

I think its better to have an amazing offense and an improving young defense than have both units be average. The defense this year is incredibly injured, what are the odds that we lose that many players next year? Plus the LB core will actually have some experience and we can fill with draft picks.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)

I think number 1 has a lot of variance depending on how Cutler is signed. If he signs a franchise deal, then it will be minimal improvements. What if Cutler signs a team friendly deal?

I know Cutler has a lot of detractors because of cutlerface, but i think the guy is smart enough to realize that Chicago is one of the best situations for him. The Free agent options have a lot of things that dont look good for him, new coordinators, players, systems. If he wants to just get paid like Flacco/Stafford, I think the Bears let him walk.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
I think number 1 has a lot of variance depending on how Cutler is signed. If he signs a franchise deal, then it will be minimal improvements. What if Cutler signs a team friendly deal?

I know Cutler has a lot of detractors because of cutlerface, but i think the guy is smart enough to realize that Chicago is one of the best situations for him. The Free agent options have a lot of things that dont look good for him, new coordinators, players, systems. If he wants to just get paid like Flacco/Stafford, I think the Bears let him walk.

I think the guy knows this is ideal and he's in the city he wants to be in. He has weapons and finally an O-line and is being coached by a guy who "gets" QB's.

All I know is I think Josh uses the weapons in this offense better than Jay, primarily because he doesn't focus on Marshall so much. In Jay's defense, he had to rely on Marshall so much in the past that it's probably just habit to focus on him on almost every passing route. I'd like to see Jay get a chance to exploit defenses with his new toys a bit more before I really feel like we will know what we have here.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
All I know is I think Josh uses the weapons in this offense better than Jay, primarily because he doesn't focus on Marshall so much. In Jay's defense, he had to rely on Marshall so much in the past that it's probably just habit to focus on him on almost every passing route. I'd like to see Jay get a chance to exploit defenses with his new toys a bit more before I really feel like we will know what we have here.

Isnt it possible that everyone on the offense has a better understanding of the scheme since Jay went out? It is year 1 with this system. Jeffrey's routes are 100% better than game 1.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)
Isnt it possible that everyone on the offense has a better understanding of the scheme since Jay went out? It is year 1 with this system. Jeffrey's routes are 100% better than game 1.

Certainly.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)

It is an offense that they are probably still learning.

Maybe the learning the offense has some merit, but it is funny McCown can come in right away and hit the ground running. If you had to choose between the 2, there is no question Cutler is better, but if you determine this offense makes a journeyman like McCown this efficient, and his performance isn't a fluke, the question is how much of your cap do you want to commit to Cutler when you have half the roster as free agents after the season.