2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
Cont.

I love Alshon Jeffery. Hes awesome, hes exciting, hes fantastic and we have every reason to be excited. That, however, does not make Brandon Marshall expendable.

Jeffery could flop. This could all be a mirage. Or he could just be a tits-awesome #2 but a god-awful #1. I dont think any of that is true personally, but I dont want to chance it just yet. Keep Marshall, keep Marshall happy. Dont go ruining this you f***ing Bears fans you with your meddling ways.

It isnt meddling ways, it is managing a cap. Marshall is awesome, i love him, but he isnt a young guy anymore, every year he gets older and injuries could strike at any time. THe Bears have to be careful with how he is paid.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
Cont.

I love Alshon Jeffery. Hes awesome, hes exciting, hes fantastic and we have every reason to be excited. That, however, does not make Brandon Marshall expendable.

Jeffery could flop. This could all be a mirage. Or he could just be a tits-awesome #2 but a god-awful #1. I dont think any of that is true personally, but I dont want to chance it just yet. Keep Marshall, keep Marshall happy. Dont go ruining this you f***ing Bears fans you with your meddling ways.

Dat Defense tho

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
I think that is a little drastic. Cutler could leave anyways(and Marshall as well), it doesnt affect Trestmans job status because Cutler left, disgruntled or not. If Cutler leaves, it is up to Emery to either draft(preferable obviously) his heir or sign one. At that point, Trestman needs to show he can continue to coach up a QB within his offense.

I dont think Emery is going to ignore the offense like Angelo did, either. I think he really embraces the new NFL offensive ideals.

If Cutler leaves after Trestman stood by him, Trestman is completely absolved. He cant be blamed.

If Cutler leaves after Trestman benches him...

And how can you say Angelo ignored offense. Didnt he trade for Cutler? I swear that cost a bunch of picks. Didnt he draft Forte?

He also drafted Cedric Benson.

It wasnt that Angelo ignored offense, it was that he hired bottom barrel offensive coordinators with low ceiling QBs. Thats pretty much a disaster.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
If Cutler leaves after Trestman stood by him, Trestman is completely absolved. He cant be blamed.

If Cutler leaves after Trestman benches him...

And how can you say Angelo ignored offense. Didnt he trade for Cutler? I swear that cost a bunch of picks. Didnt he draft Forte?

He also drafted Cedric Benson.

It wasnt that Angelo ignored offense, it was that he hired bottom barrel offensive coordinators with low ceiling QBs. Thats pretty much a disaster.

He ignored the offensive line, he drafted terrible wide receivers every year. Forte was his one redemption, but Benson was a bust out. He also couldnt draft a backup or waiting in the wings QB to save his life.

Cutler was him trying to save his job, he knew the last couple years that he needed to make big moves. Hence, Cutler, Peppers, Manamaleuna(ugh), started happening.

Honestly if Cutler left after Trestman benched him in favor of McCown(which isnt happening), i dont really think it would hurt Trestman one bit. It isnt like Cutler is a well liked character, inside or outside the organization. I want the guy to succeed, I love his skills, but the guy never does anything to make himself wanted.

In the end, Trestmans job security will come in the form of wins. If he doesnt win, he wont stay around. If Cutler leaves, whoever he is replaced with will have to win for Trestman

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
Was Bledsoe healthy enough to come back that season? Its been so long, but I thought his chest injury was pretty severe.

Ya, from what I remember he ended up sticking with Brady over Bledsoe at the end of the season and through the playoffs.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
Steve Young says hi too.

But Rocks statement is exactly my point. Its just safer to say "Starters dont lose their job to injuries" and not really take a risk.

Kurt Warner. Vermeil was in tears, actually crying about Trent Green getting hurt the last preseason game. Warner had completed 4 passes in 11 attempts in the NFL at that point. MVP. Super Bowl.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
Was Bledsoe healthy enough to come back that season? Its been so long, but I thought his chest injury was pretty severe.

He played in, nay, WON the AFC Championship, and was then replaced by Tom Brady in the Superbowl.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:25 PM)
Ya, from what I remember he ended up sticking with Brady over Bledsoe at the end of the season and through the playoffs.

By that time I believe Brady had started almost 10 games and there was no going back. Bledsoe did get a playoff appearance.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
He played in, nay, WON the AFC Championship, and was then replaced by Tom Brady in the Superbowl.

Brady started the AFC Championship game, sprained his MCL (Cutler!), then Bledsoe played the remainder of the game. Brady then started the Super Bowl.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
Then technically shouldn't he have come back the next year as the starter?

Not when they found out Warner was immensely more talented.

ha looking it up, Green was brought in to replace Steve Young's usurper, Bono.

In the NFL playoffs, Warner ultimately led the Rams to a Super Bowl XXXIV victory against the Tennessee Titans. In the game, he threw for two touchdowns and a Super Bowl-record 414 passing yards, including a critical 73-yard touchdown to Isaac Bruce when the game was tied with just over two minutes to play. Warner also set a Super Bowl record by attempting 45 passes without a single interception. For his performance, Warner was awarded the Super Bowl MVP, becoming the seventh player to win both the league MVP and Super Bowl MVP awards in the same year.[18][19]

Yeah, you dont replace that.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
What?

Joe Montana was injured so Steve Young took over. When Joe Montana was healthy in 1992 he played one half of the last game of the season against Detroit. They then replaced him with Young for the playoffs.

Or is the rule that if you get injured and then there is an offseason, all bets are off? I guess I just dont know what the sacred "if youre injured you dont lose your starting job" rule is.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
Joe Montana was injured so Steve Young took over. When Joe Montana was healthy in 1992 he played one half of the last game of the season against Detroit. They then replaced him with Young for the playoffs.

Or is the rule that if you get injured and then there is an offseason, all bets are off? I guess I just dont know what the sacred "if youre injured you dont lose your starting job" rule is.

Montana's arm was f***ed up when he came back. (He missed all of 1991 and all but one game of 1992) Then they traded him. Not a good example. If anything Young could be used as an example of the incumbent losing his job temporarily when Steve Bono took it. Then that would work.

Edited by RockRaines