2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 05:06 PM)
I know you think Lovie was horrible and should never deserve any credit for anything whatsoever.

If this were a Lovie coached team you would have been gushing over the 2 absolute fluke interceptions they got in the first half instead of blaming Tucker: "Well, Lovie coached them to turn the ball over! Bears D is keeping them in it. NOT LOVIE'S FAULT, HE IS A GOD AMONG MEN!"

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
That wasn't what happened, but I know your hatred of Lovie is blinding you to how his defense really did swarm to every ball and pick up everything on the ground, even obvious incompletions.

Did you hear a whistle? It's absolutely basic football to continue playing until you hear the whistle. And again, let's all forget how many of these guys were coached by that God Among Men, Lovie Smith.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
If this were a Lovie coached team you would have been gushing over the 2 absolute fluke interceptions they got in the first half instead of blaming Tucker: "Well, Lovie coached them to turn the ball over! Bears D is keeping them in it. NOT LOVIE'S FAULT, HE IS A GOD AMONG MEN!"

Lovie was a major hindrance to the offense. He had a decent run here, but it was time for him to go and I don't know that he'll get another HC shot given his inability to work with a decent OC. That doesn't take away the positive effects he had on the defense though, or change how they really did constantly swarm loose balls.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:10 PM)
Did you hear a whistle? It's absolutely basic football to continue playing until you hear the whistle. And again, let's all forget how many of these guys were coached by that God Among Men, Lovie Smith.

This is why I said it felt to me more like something to be pinned on team leaders or HC. Blowing that play is a failure of team culture.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 05:10 PM)

why are you being dumb and thinking that anyone is saying anything like this?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
Lovie was a major hindrance to the offense. He had a decent run here, but it was time for him to go and I don't know that he'll get another HC shot given his inability to work with a decent OC. That doesn't take away the positive effects he had on the defense though, or change how they really did constantly swarm loose balls.

I agree whole heartedly with everything you said here. But I think blaming a guy for clear player mistakes is just straight up idiotic.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 05:12 PM)
why are you being dumb and thinking that anyone is saying anything like this?

Because you said something equally idiotic - a Lovie coached team wouldn't have done that. That's just absurd. Most of these guys were coached by Lovie.

Edit: it's also idiotic because the defense played "well" (relative) that half - 13 points, 62 rushing yards & forced 2 turnovers.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:15 PM)
Because you said something equally idiotic - a Lovie coached team wouldn't have done that. That's just absurd. Most of these guys were coached by Lovie.

Edit: it's also idiotic because the defense played "well" (relative) that half - 13 points, 62 rushing yards & forced 2 turnovers.

You did a decent job of leaving out the 130+ passing Yards Rodgers had in the first half. The Bears gave up ~200 yards in that half, which is pretty poor and about what they've averaged much of the season (and the conditions play somewhat to the defense today). They did keep them out of the end zone I'll give them that...it wasn't a "terrible" first half, but it wasn't playing "well" either.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)

It's pretty idiotic to think how they played on every other play has anything to do with the lack of discipline on the one specific play that was being talked about.

And it's not absurd to think that a coach who had a pretty good track record when it came to guys swarming loose balls wouldn't have a problem with guys not swarming loose balls. Nobody was saying Lovie should still be here, or that this defense would be fantastic/good/not-terrible with him here. Just that on one particular play, he always coached his team well not to make the exact type of mistake that lead to an easy TD.