2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
Urlacher was the man, probably a HOF, and I definitely will always remember his time with the Bears.

But if he is gonna play the victim card here and drag the media along with him to make the Bears look bad, then I'll worry about the appreciation later. Get over yourself Brian, you aren't the player you used to be, accept it.

Bingo. The very distinct possiblity exists that if he hadn't held the Bears to the fire a few years back for a bunch of extra cash, they wouldn't be holding his feet to the fire now to save a few bucks. Odds are he has no one to blame but himself.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 08:30 AM)
Can my favorite teams ever let a franchise player go without that player making the team look bad in the media? Can't it ever just be "it was mutual and I love them and especially the fans on Soxtalk"?

PK is our greatest hope, he's not much of a s***-talker. I could see him retiring at the end of the year and I could also see him being stubborn and wanting to play for a few more.

He's still going this morning...

Chris and Adam ‏@bestof1000 34m

AA: Urlacher on M&M "When the Bears kept sayin we want Brian to be a Bear, retire a Bear, blah blah blah. It was all lip service in my mind"

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
It's actually pretty similar to the end for Frank Thomas, except the White Sox didn't even bother with a token offer for Frank.

I agree, with the lone exception that Frank had a couple of good years left in him, Urlacher doesn't. But you are right with the same dramatic exit; hopefully just like Frank, Brian comes back and is part of the organization post-retirement.

So, Urlacher says he wont play for $2m because of what his body has to go through during a season at his age. Under that logic, NFL teams shouldn't pay aging players less due to declining returns, players should get significantly more.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
He's still going this morning...

Chris and Adam ‏@bestof1000 34m

AA: Urlacher on M&M "When the Bears kept sayin we want Brian to be a Bear, retire a Bear, blah blah blah. It was all lip service in my mind"

Urlacher can go after his I do not care what the fans think rant last year goodbye Brian. Urlacher now wants the fans to feel sorry for him and he is Mr. Media now...........too bad ........so sad. Karma catching up with #54.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
Urlacher was the man, probably a HOF, and I definitely will always remember his time with the Bears.

But if he is gonna play the victim card here and drag the media along with him to make the Bears look bad, then I'll worry about the appreciation later. Get over yourself Brian, you aren't the player you used to be, accept it.

Good point. I wish he wouldn't drag this out in the media and play the "poor me" card.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 08:30 AM)
Can my favorite teams ever let a franchise player go without that player making the team look bad in the media? Can't it ever just be "it was mutual and I love them and especially the fans on Soxtalk"?

PK is our greatest hope, he's not much of a s***-talker. I could see him retiring at the end of the year and I could also see him being stubborn and wanting to play for a few more.

Buehrle, AJP?

Some players never even held their org hostage for more money and left with class.

Is it a definite decision that Urlacher is gone? Is this not the same as breaking off negotiations.....for now?

After a month or 2, depending on how the draft goes, if Brian realizes that he's not all that anymore, and the Bears still need someone, could they not "resume negotiations"?

The Bears would have a better idea where they stand cap wise by then and if Brian has no other offer this might still work. It just seems to me that this is not a done deal just yet.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
Is it a definite decision that Urlacher is gone? Is this not the same as breaking off negotiations.....for now?

After a month or 2, depending on how the draft goes, if Brian realizes that he's not all that anymore, and the Bears still need someone, could they not "resume negotiations"?

The Bears would have a better idea where they stand cap wise by then and if Brian has no other offer this might still work. It just seems to me that this is not a done deal just yet.

When Urlacher starts getting offers in for like 1.25 mill, we'll see what happens.

Dude wanted bears to negotiate against themselves, but I don't think he'll make much more on the market.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 07:30 AM)

Great point, it happened with Jordan, Thomas and now Urlacher.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
When Urlacher starts getting offers in for like 1.25 mill, we'll see what happens.

Dude wanted bears to negotiate against themselves, but I don't think he'll make much more on the market.

I think he overestimated the value of his name as a Bear.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 06:49 AM)
Brian Urlacher didn't suck two years ago.

He's been on the decline for several years now...he did have a nice season mixed in there, but it was pretty clear before 2012 that he was on a rather steep decline.

The fact that he was your hero growing up doesn't change that fact.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
Great point, it happened with Jordan, Thomas and now Urlacher.

This will all be forgotten eventually...he'll come back in a few years, and everyone will remember the good moments.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
Bears players can live off of media exposure for the rest of their lives. If Brian wants money, he'll be back in Chicago doing endorsements and interviews pretty quickly.

He'll also be a candidate for HC position for the rest of his life.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
This will all be forgotten eventually...he'll come back in a few years, and everyone will remember the good moments.

Except that my biggest idol, Jordan, never came back :( He should've been for us what Magic is to the Lakers.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
Except that my biggest idol, Jordan, never came back :( He should've been for us what Magic is to the Lakers.

Considering what is going on in Charlotte, that might be a good thing. He's no Magic.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
Considering what is going on in Charlotte, that might be a good thing. He's no Magic.

I think that is because Magic understands that he just purchases/owns, he doesnt meddle.