2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:39 PM)
We're on the same page. It isn't that Cutler sucked, it's that a 15 million dollar QB wins a game like this, that was there for the taking even with a horrible defense.

I'm not going to absolve the defense, but that doesn't mean I don't expect the offense to play over it. I do expect them to score 34 points against a defense that is IMO every bit as bad as ours.

He hit Jeffreys in the hands down near the 20. He dropped it. Do you want him to run down there and catch it as well. Logic embrace it.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:41 PM)
Nobody gets behind the safety, especially on 4th down. Unacceptable.

Probably, but it's also possible the CB was to cover the over guy. Someone f***ed up, no doubt. Probably Conte. God knows he's made enough mistakes this year.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:41 PM)
Pssh, no. Rodgers had one terrible pass but made play after play the entire game. The tipped interception is one of those excuse throws people give Cutler all the time.

Rogers WON the Packers the game. No excuse necessary.

Well then statistics don't matter. Eye test rules!!!!!

Cutler was what you needed him to be, and the defense failed us. It would have been awesome to give Cutler 27 more plays.

We're on the same page. It isn't that Cutler sucked, it's that a 15 million dollar QB wins a game like this, that was there for the taking even with a horrible defense.

I'm not going to absolve the defense, but that doesn't mean I don't expect the offense to play over it. I do expect them to score 34 points against a defense that is IMO every bit as bad as ours.

If he had 1:36 seconds the Bears score. I firmly believe that, s*** Jeffery makes that catch and its over.

As usual the Bears found a way to lose. It doesn't matter if its Lovie or Trestman or whatever--this franchise is just one of the most f***ed up in the NFL.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:42 PM)
I didn't say that. I'd like a defense that allows 14 points too. But since we're thinking about committing this quite remarkably good core of offensive skill players to Cutler for the next 4+ years, this is one of many different experiences that leads me to believe that he is just not the guy. And of course, keeping this QB will hamstring our ability to add veterans to the defense in the near term

GB dominated TOP because the defense really struggled to get off the field. The offensive stumbled out of the gate, but really got going later on and wasn't really leaving points on the field or having a bunch of three-and-outs.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:42 PM)
The tipped INT was clearly a high throw. Jordy Nelson's not Brandon Marshall.

Nobody said Cutler's better than Rodgers, but Cutler played a better game than Rodgers today, which is fine because Rodgers was clearly a bit rusty with some of his throws.

How can anyone say this with a straight face when one guy WON THE f***ING GAME and the other didn't?

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:43 PM)
He hit Jeffreys in the hands down near the 20. He dropped it. Do you want him to run down there and catch it as well. Logic embrace it.

Seriously. It wasn't an especially easy catch, but it hit him right in the hands. If he catches that, the Bears probably run the clock out a few more minutes and get 3-7 more points and they're on their way to the playoffs right now.

Probably nobody cares about another game but I'm sorry Pittsburgh Steelers fans with how the Chiefs folded in the 4th and missed a field goal at the end of the game, and just sucked most of the 2nd half. Granted I suppose Kansas City had the luxury to not care about the outcome but I still hate not being able to win the game, especially on a missed field goal.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:42 PM)
Rodgers got incredibly lucky on an early snap and then had a ridiculously blown coverage that I'm pretty sure I could have completed.

His stats in the game were not very good.

Did he make the plays that needed to be made? Did he march his team down the field to a victory while his team was losing?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)
How can anyone say this with a straight face when one guy WON THE f***ING GAME and the other didn't?

Oh, so if a pitcher gives up 9 ER and wins the game, he's obviously better than the guy who gave up 4 ER and lost?

This is like a debate about pitching wins.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:43 PM)

Relax people. I don't know how you could say that Cutler played an amazing game today. The only reason we were in it on offense was one of Forte's best games of his life. Cutler played a fine game, he managed it well and made several very good plays, but I want to roll the dice on finding a guy that never loses games like this. I just don't want to pay Cutler to play better than he ever has before again.

I guarantee, regardless of what he thinks about Cutler, Trestman will say the offense didn't do what it needed to today. This is a very, very bad GB defense. We have a very, very bad defense. You had to get more points than we did. Plain and simple. I think QB is responsible for a great deal of the scoring that we do. Nobody expected our defense to play well, but we have expected Cutler to play as well as the Aaron Rodgerses of the world for 5 seasons and it never even comes close.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:46 PM)
Did he make the plays that needed to be made? Did he march his team down the field to a victory while his team was losing?

I recall Cutler hitting Jeffrey in the hands on the 20 yard line that would have likely sealed the game, but I guess Jeffery would have caught that pass if it was thrown by someone else?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:46 PM)

When a QB places a ball in the hands of the receiver. Did he do his job? Is there anything else he can do?

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
Relax people. I don't know how you could say that Cutler played an amazing game today. The only reason we were in it on offense was one of Forte's best games of his life. Cutler played a fine game, he managed it well and made several very good plays, but I want to roll the dice on finding a guy that never loses games like this. I just don't want to pay Cutler to play better than he ever has before again.

I guarantee, regardless of what he thinks about Cutler, Trestman will say the offense didn't do what it needed to today. This is a very, very bad GB defense. We have a very, very bad defense. You had to get more points than we did. Plain and simple. I think QB is responsible for a great deal of the scoring that we do. Nobody expected our defense to play well, but we have expected Cutler to play as well as the Aaron Rodgerses of the world for 5 seasons and it never even comes close.

The defense chokes on a global scale and you blame Cutler and then tell others to relax. Thats rich.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 06:48 PM)
I recall Cutler hitting Jeffrey in the hands on the 20 yard line that would have likely sealed the game, but I guess Jeffery would have caught that pass if it was thrown by someone else?

I wanted Jeffery to make that play, but it was by no means easy and shouldn't have been a back shoulder throw. It also is far from a guarantee of a victory, since we were still quite far from a TD even with that catch. Nobody is saying this is all on Cutler or anything like this.

Riddle me this: if GB and CHI swapped QBs today, who wins? I'm being told that Cutler outplayed Rodgers, so I suppose GB wins by even more?

f*** you, Bears. And f*** all the s***ty ass defensive players who just watched the game deciding TD walk right by them. You play to the whistle. That was taught on Day 1 in any football league. 3rd graders know you don't just quit on a play. Awful. They deserve to lose.

If you think you can patch the defense up enough to be not-historically-bad and Matt Forte can be inhuman for one more season you bring back Cutler. You go for it, I look at the offense with the skill guys and the OL and the RB and its set. We could maybe use a #3 WR and a backup RB but for the most part its ready to go.

Now, if you think the defense is just f***ed for next year you burn it down. Just shed salary, draft QB and endure some pain the next couple seasons. This team can succeed with average or below average defense but this level of awful? The two gifted TD's in a game like this can't happen.

I'm not convinced either way, but I lean towards thinking the defense can get better with new leadership and some serious off season work. The big fear is that we've reached the end of Matt Forte being useful, which is devastating if true.