2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 07:05 PM)
160 is a huge step up for this defense. Not sure what you're getting at there.

I love how you're pointing to a couple of terrible defensive plays while i'm talking about a career of suck from Cutler when debating what to do with his future. The dude isn't a winner. Plain and simple. He gets good stats against s***ty teams. He sucks against good teams on average. Why do we want to pay this guy franchise QB money when he's not a franchise QB? Oh, he's got an arm. Whoopty f***ing do. He's Jeff George 2.0.

You're trying to change the topic to career numbers or future contracts after talking about the game that was just played, wherein you are pretty heavily implying that Cutler is to blame and explicitly claiming that Rodgers outplayed him.

When trying to downplay Cutler's performance in this game, you point to Forte's excellent game. When it's pointed out that GB's running backs did even better and maybe Rodgers looks even worse in light of that, you try to wave that away.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 07:01 PM)
It sure would have been nice to not waste the first timeout in the 2nd half on the Alshon play that should have been called a TD.

He was down but it was really dumb to lose a timeout there.

This Cutler-Rodgers argument is funny to me, I'm about as unbiased as it comes on these teams and Cutler outplayed Rodgers, Rodgers looked like crap most of the game. Does that mean you bring back Jay? That's a whole different question and something this game really shouldn't have decided.

Jesus people. Learn to read. Here are the points i'm making:

(1) Cutler might have outplayed Rogers in today's game based on stats alone, but at the end of the day one guy led his team down the field and won the game. That's who I think had the better game. It's not like Rogers sucked.

(2) in thinking about the future, I don't believe Cutler is a franchise QB or the answer for the Bears, for a variety of reasons which I've spelled out. I'm not opposed to bringing him back, but it has to be at the right price because there are enough weapons for average QB's to win with IF they can also upgrade the defense.

(3) the defense blows and clearly made critical errors in the game. They are much more to blame than Cutler.

(4) people blaming Tucker for a stupid mistake by the defense on a fumble-TD and thinking Lovie would have stopped that from happening are stupid.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 07:08 PM)
Mel Tucker has to be replaced.

Yeah Tucker has to go. Conte has to go. Briggs probably shouldn't be brought back if he's expecting a nice pay day. He did play a lot better in the second half, but I don't think he's worth anywhere near what he's being paid this year.

This defense needs a huge turnover. Peppers will be here regardless of what happens, his cap hit is huge. Maybe you bring back Melton and Ratliff on cheap deals. Jennings should be re-signed, he's easily the best player in the secondary (not saying a lot).

As for Cutler, it all depends on what he demands. If he's willing to settle for what he got paid this year, which is around $14 million, you have to consider it. But if he wants a big payday, you have to let him go, there are too many holes on this team for Cutler to make $18 million a year.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 07:15 PM)

(1) Cutler might have outplayed Rogers in today's game based on stats alone, but at the end of the day one guy led his team down the field and won the game. That's who I think had the better game. It's not like Rogers sucked.

(2) in thinking about the future, I don't believe Cutler is a franchise QB or the answer for the Bears, for a variety of reasons which I've spelled out. I'm not opposed to bringing him back, but it has to be at the right price because there are enough weapons for average QB's to win with IF they can also upgrade the defense.

(3) the defense blows and clearly made critical errors in the game. They are much more to blame than Cutler.

(4) people blaming Tucker for a stupid mistake by the defense on a fumble-TD and thinking Lovie would have stopped that from happening are stupid.

Did you watch the Bears defense when Lovie was here? They'd grab every loose ball even if it was clear that it wasn't a fumble. It almost got annoying.

I can say with 100% confidence that there is no way something like that, especially in the fashion it was done in (nobody on defense gave a s***), will ever happen under a Lovie Smith defense.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 07:17 PM)
Did you watch the Bears defense when Lovie was here. They'd grab every loose ball even if it was clear that it wasn't a fumble. It almost got annoying.

I noticed them doing it again in the second half, I'm sure after getting their asses chewed out.

I'm making sure I remember that a QB rating in the 80's is good to you.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 07:19 PM)
I'm making sure I remember that a QB rating in the 80's is good to you.

You can also hold it against the QB if the team gets 115 yards on the ground, but not if they get 160, and which ever QB wins the games clearly played better.

I mean, I can't possibly imagine that if the game were a mirror image and Cutler had two interceptions and a fumble and only won thanks to a horrendously blown coverage and a ridiculous play on the fumble, Jenks and Jake would be saying that Cutler clearly outplayed Rodgers.

Edited by StrangeSox

To be fair, that's a cultural thing. When it's constantly preached to grab the ball any time it hits the ground (every play in every practice or game), then it gets ingrained in the players' heads to grab the ball and go. When you don't preach those things and make it a way of life, then players tend to not think about it. It's not drilled into their head. I won't blame that on Tucker, but you can be damn sure that would have been a defensive TD under Lovie.

That doesn't mean I wish Lovie was still the coach or anything like that. But it's hard to argue that the outcome would have been the same under Lovie. After watching the defense during Lovie's tenure, I'm not sure how you think they wouldn't have scooped that and scored.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 07:17 PM)
Did you watch the Bears defense when Lovie was here? They'd grab every loose ball even if it was clear that it wasn't a fumble. It almost got annoying.

I can say with 100% confidence that there is no way something like that, especially in the fashion it was done in (nobody on defense gave a s***), will ever happen under a Lovie Smith defense.

I'm sorry, that's just idiotic. Players made mistakes under Lovie too, regardless of the culture that he created for the Bears.

I can read and comprehend. I however reject your first premise based on logic and facts. This is how guys that win 20 games with a 5 ERA get Cy Young votes. He is a winner. Stats be damned.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 07:22 PM)
I'm sorry, that's just idiotic. Players made mistakes under Lovie too, regardless of the culture that he created for the Bears.

Yes, but they really, really did not make that very specific mistake. It seems much more idiotic to essentially say that coaching priorities/focus makes no difference and to assume that a team coached by a guy who constantly drilled "grab every loose ball" into his players' heads would have made a very idiotic mistake on a loose ball.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)
To be fair, that's a cultural thing. When it's constantly preached to grab the ball any time it hits the ground (every play in every practice or game), then it gets ingrained in the players' heads to grab the ball and go. When you don't preach those things and make it a way of life, then players tend to not think about it. It's not drilled into their head. I won't blame that on Tucker, but you can be damn sure that would have been a defensive TD under Lovie.

That doesn't mean I wish Lovie was still the coach or anything like that. But it's hard to argue that the outcome would have been the same under Lovie. After watching the defense during Lovie's tenure, I'm not sure how you think they wouldn't have scooped that and scored.

For the fiftieth time, why are we giving a pass to the players WHO WERE COACHED BY LOVIE SMITH!!!!!

What is actually remarkable is that the Bears always play the Packers tough enough to lose narrowly. If their defense holds the Packers in check most of the game, the defense breaks at the end and the offense won't put up enough to hold. If the defense has a bad game, the offense won't score enough to keep up with the Packers offense.

Every single time.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 07:16 PM)
Yeah Tucker has to go. Conte has to go. Briggs probably shouldn't be brought back if he's expecting a nice pay day. He did play a lot better in the second half, but I don't think he's worth anywhere near what he's being paid this year.

This defense needs a huge turnover. Peppers will be here regardless of what happens, his cap hit is huge. Maybe you bring back Melton and Ratliff on cheap deals. Jennings should be re-signed, he's easily the best player in the secondary (not saying a lot).

As for Cutler, it all depends on what he demands. If he's willing to settle for what he got paid this year, which is around $14 million, you have to consider it. But if he wants a big payday, you have to let him go, there are too many holes on this team for Cutler to make $18 million a year.

Re: Peppers... the cap hit is big if he's cut, but he takes up a lot more cap space if he stays. ~$10M difference. I think you could see Pep back on a restructured deal. No way he plays next year on a $20M+ contract.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)

I'm glad Lovie is gone. I'd rather watch a great offense instead of a s***ty offense and good defense. It's not the 80s anymore.

However, he did good things here in Chicago, especially the turnover-hungry culture he created on defense, nobody should deny that.

And there's nothing wrong with suggesting the next coach should keep that same culture.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
For the fiftieth time, why are we giving a pass to the players WHO WERE COACHED BY LOVIE SMITH!!!!!

Some of them were, some weren't. Particularly, the guy who should have scooped that up for a TD was not. It's still been a year since he has coached them now and they've been coached by a new staff in the meantime. Do you really think coaching priorities don't make any difference? Or do you just really, really dislike Lovie so much that you can't even stand to see him mentioned positively in a very specific, minor way?

Let Melton walk, cut Peppers, Tillman and Briggs then totally ignore the defense. Give Conte a captain's patch and make the Halas Hall janitor DC. Whatever, make them all take a school bus to games and charge them for petty s*** like toilet paper for the locker room.

Sign Jimmy Graham, Hakeem Nicks and bring back Slauson. Resign Cutler, too. Draft more offense, just BPA as long as they play offense. See what happens, could be fun.

We all understand what you're trying to say but it's absurd.