2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,3625597.story

Louis gone to Miami. Carimi to guard will happen now. I think James Brown drafted last year is a major sleeper to start at one guard spot.

James Brown wasn't drafted. If their plan is to go into 2013 with Brown and Carimi as their starting OG's combined with Garza at C, they're f***ed.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Well, I still had more confidence in him as a backup than um... who is the Bears backup now?

I've heard murmurs from the beat guys that the Bears plan was to just go with McCown to save money. Has Grossman signed? He'd honestly be great as a backup.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
Didnt they stash a kid on the practice squad that did decent in preseason last year? Really big kid, I think he was D2

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
Matt Blanchard.

Blanchard is from D3 UW-Whitewater, was once my big brother's backup :D

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 12:18 AM)
I've heard murmurs from the beat guys that the Bears plan was to just go with McCown to save money. Has Grossman signed? He'd honestly be great as a backup.

Blanchard is from D3 UW-Whitewater, was once my big brother's backup :D

So...where is your brother?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 12:21 AM)
So...where is your brother?

Much like the Duck Commander once had Terry Bradshaw as a backup, my bro has moved on to bigger and better things :P

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
Bears got their OG they so desperately needed....

This badass...

matt-slauson8.jpg

Matt Slausson.

The draft is going to be really interesting, I'm excited.

I'm really, really liking this new GM. He has already majorly upgraded the OL and TE positions.

I am so jacked for the draft because I have NO idea what the GM is going to do, and for once that is a good thing. He has given himself the opportunity to draft BPA at every slot.

That said, I want Ogletree

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
I'm really, really liking this new GM. He has already majorly upgraded the OL and TE positions.

And he is not afraid to make the unpopular move (letting go of Urlacher) when he knows it will benefit the team.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
The oline is still bad. Tackle position is upgraded. Guard position is not upgraded. I hope one of the top guards is there in round 1.

I hate drafting guards in the first round unless it's an absolutely elite talent. It's a position that's generally pretty easy to fill with later picks and tackles who don't make it.

Honestly, for the Bears, there are a lot of ways they can go in the first, so it really is a matter of taking BPA.

Ogletree is dangerous though. That is one I'd honestly stay away from.

The oline is still bad. Tackle position is upgraded. Guard position is not upgraded. I hope one of the top guards is there in round 1.

Depends on the clubs thoughts on Carimi at RG, or maybe even their thoughts on Brown at RG. I'd really like to see them add an OC in the draft and then let Garza/Carimi/Brown all compete for RG while having Webb/Scott/Carimi compete for RT.

I doubt Warmack or Cooper are there but if they still feel the need to address RG then DJ Fluker who has a chance to be there would be an interesting choice. Fluker and Carimi on the right side could do wonders for the run game.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

Slausson is an upgrade at Guard

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
True, but from what I am hearing Slauson more than held his own last season.

Yes, he has had a positive score on PFF the last three years at guard (not by much, but it's still positive) and has played in every game the last three years. For someone to think he isn't an upgrade is just absurd.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
Yes, he has had a positive score on PFF the last three years at guard (not by much, but it's still positive) and has played in every game the last three years. For someone to think he isn't an upgrade is just absurd.

Louis was pretty darn good. I don't necessarily think PFF's numbers are perfect. Now the health of Louis is in question but I'd say Louis/Slauson is a wash.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
Louis was pretty darn good. I don't necessarily think PFF's numbers are perfect. Now the health of Louis is in question but I'd say Louis/Slauson is a wash.

Well Louis is a good Guard IMO so if him and Slauson is a wash that isn't a bad thing. I also remember being surprisingly impressed by Carimi when he switched to guard and think that will be a fine role for him. Really the only spot I'm worried about is Garza at center.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)

I feel I'm generous in saying it was a wash. Upside wise Louis had a shot to take more steps forward, albeit, you just never know due to the injury (which is why I'm ultimately concluding it as a wash).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
I feel I'm generous in saying it was a wash. Upside wise Louis had a shot to take more steps forward, albeit, you just never know due to the injury (which is why I'm ultimately concluding it as a wash).

What makes you say that? They're the same age and Slausson was drafted higher than Louis.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 06:03 PM)
What makes you say that? They're the same age and Slausson was drafted higher than Louis.

Yes, but Louis is coming off of injury and has never played better (you can argue, if you really wanted, that maybe they were close to equal) than Slauson has over the past three years, so obviously Louis is the choice here....

Even when Louis played, he was ranked 47th by PFF and Slauson was 31st. WF also has him as the much better player.

Keep in mind that Slauson is a very good pass protector and is always on the field. Also, from what I've read, Louis will make much more. This is definitely a good signing.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Mar 30, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
Even when Louis played, he was ranked 47th by PFF and Slauson was 31st. WF also has him as the much better player.

Keep in mind that Slauson is a very good pass protector and is always on the field. Also, from what I've read, Louis will make much more. This is definitely a good signing.

Louis at times did seem like he would just dominate people which I will miss but yeah I'm happy with Slauson.

let's also remember...if Slausson is going in at LG, he's a huge upgrade over Rachal right out of the gap. The question then winds up being whether Carimi is a real downgrade from Louis. If he is, then they'll need to think about moving someone like Scott there or drafting a RG. The comparison isn't Slausson vs. Louis, its Carimi vs. Louis and Slausson vs. Rachal.