2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
I don't think Manning gets over the hump against Brady. I bet that man sees Brady in his dreams taunting him.

Brady's gotten the better of him but Peyton is 1-2 against him in the playoffs, it's not like it's the most one sided thing ever.

Edited by Rowand44

Pulling for Peyton all the way. Not only is he the GOAT, but he's also a Vol. Also, he's the reason I liked Tennessee when I was like 7. My family had zero ties to that school whatsoever but I always liked UT.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
I don't think Manning gets over the hump against Brady. I bet that man sees Brady in his dreams taunting him.

Did you sleep through the 2006/2007 playoffs? You don't remember when Bellichick went for it on 4th down on their own side of the field?

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
Did you sleep through the 2006/2007 playoffs? You don't remember when Bellichick went for it on 4th down on their own side of the field?

I do remember that now that you mention it. So you proved my point that it took a miraculous comeback and crazy coaching for Manning to get his first ring. Also, a Rex Grossman lead Bears squad in the super bowl.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
I do remember that now that you mention it. So you proved my point that it took a miraculous comeback and crazy coaching for Manning to get his first ring. Also, a Rex Grossman lead Bears squad in the super bowl.

and a hurricane. and Prince.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
So who do we like today, fellas?

I'm going with a Denver -4.5 and Seattle -3.5 parlay for $200, Alex.

I like the Broncos to cover. I like Seattle to win but that half a point might be the difference in them covering imo.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)
I like the Broncos to cover. I like Seattle to win but that half a point might be the difference in them covering imo.

Yeah, that hook is a bit frightening, but I'm going to lay it anyway.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
So who do we like today, fellas?

I'm going with a Denver -4.5 and Seattle -3.5 parlay for $200, Alex.

I really really like Denver. Absolutely perfect weather day in Denver, little wind, I think Peyton goes off.

IMO San Francisco is playing much better football than Seattle right now, but the game is in Seattle, tough to bet against them there, but I would take San Fran +3.5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Doing that 3 times though is going to be tough.

SF hasn't scored more than 19 points in Seattle in over 3 years. I just don't see the #1 defense in the NFL suddenly giving up a ton of points to a team they've owned in Seattle.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
In two games this year, SF had scored one TD against Seattle.

Great logic. Comparing previous games this year also worked out well for the Panthers.

49ers are a much different team now, so are the Seahawks.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 11:20 AM)
Great logic. Comparing previous games this year also worked out well for the Panthers.

49ers are a much different team now, so are the Seahawks.

This happened last year too, when I believe the Niners were a better team than they are now.

It's about an environment and a mental edge. I don't think Kaep can handle the environment and I think the atmosphere will be too much for the Niners.

And if we can't look to past matchups in similar situations, I'm not sure what we can look at.

Edited by iamshack

Can someone give a betting for dummies synopsis of what various numbers mean?

A number like -3 or +4½ is a point spread. If you want to make an even money bet on the game, people betting on the favorite have to give points to the people betting on the underdog in order to even out the betting. If you want to bet on a team at -3, they have to win by more than 3 points for you to win your bet. If they win by exactly 3 points, it's a push. If you bet on a team at +4½, that team can either win, or lose by less than 4½ points for you to win your bet. (There are obviously no pushes when there is a ½ in the spread.)

A number like -180 or +140 is a money line bet. You are betting just on one team to win, regardless of by how many points. A number like -180 means the team is a substantial favorite, and as such, you have to bet $180 in order to win $100. a number like +140 means that the team is a moderate underdog and you can bet $100 to win $140.

The other most common bet is an over/under bet on the total number of points in a game. Given the total set by the bookmaker, such as 45½ points, you simply make an even money bet on whether the total points scored in the game will be over or under that total.