2013-2014 NFL Thread

It's funny how "disrespected" Urlacher felt after he b****ed in the middle of his contract (which was the biggest for any defensive player when he signed it) and they gave him more money, paid him more than any other Bears player ever made (unless I'm wrong which I doubt, and perhaps Peppers comes close). The Ego Monster is a strange beast.

Oh and for a guy that never embraced (tolerated) fans and hated the media, it was funny how media-friendly he was while he trashed the organization to get sympathy from the fans. I do like how George McCaskey didn't micromanage in that situation though. As much as I wanted to see him ride off like Ray Lewis (who wasn't very good in his last 3 years - f*** what you heard on TV) into the sunset, fact is Williams is a significant on-field upgrade at this point, along with Anderson (who came along with Williams for less combined than what Urlacher wanted)

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
I hope DJ Williams is, between the PEDs and substance abuse you hope he has his head on straight.

Those things actually happened in 2010 but he'd delayed them through appeals. Broncos just couldn't justify paying someone $6 million to be a potential head case when they are cap space-starved, and I know several Broncos fans that are pissed about him being cut.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
If I am emery, 1.5 million becomes the contract after all incentives are met, not the base contract before incentives. Brian isn't worth that right now

Even more hilarious.

Urlacher shot himself in the foot by going public. Should have done what Buehrle wanted to do.

Go find an offer, see if the Bears (in Buehrle's case, the Sox) would match.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
I'm glad we are still bringing everything back to 85 bears, only 30 years later.

I always feel terrible when I reference 2005 regarding recent White Sox success, even though that was almost 10 years ago. Then I remember that it could be worse.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
I'm glad we are still bringing everything back to 85 bears, only 30 years later.

It's sad that people still cling to that. I'm even tired of the Ditka love.

Give me Phil Jackson as Da Coach.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
I always feel terrible when I reference 2005 regarding recent White Sox success, even though that was almost 10 years ago. Then I remember that it could be worse.

It's kind of interesting to me as I get older. When I was young, 30 years prior seemed crazy long. That would have been mid-60s, but it was still like 50% of the references people made.

Now I think of simpsons episodes and realize they are like 24 years old at this point and it seems like only a few.

So I get it now, 2005 doesn't seem like that long ago (honestly 2007 seems longer to me than 2005), but man. At some point people need to get over the 85 bears because it seems to make our terrible success since that time easier to take.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
People won't get over 85 until the Bears win another championship.

It could be 20 years from now and if they still haven't won, people will still be talking about 85.

It's mostly Bears fans who are 40 and older (especially the older ones) who always do that. In the past few years every time one of these Bears teams would have an elite defense, inevitably some old guy would call the Score or get on Sun-Times or Tribune articles and start rambling about how this team doesn't hold a candle to the '85 team, blah blah blah. STFU Grandpa

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
People won't get over 85 until the Bears win another championship.

It could be 20 years from now and if they still haven't won, people will still be talking about 85.

People won't ever stop talking about the 85 Bears. It's one of the best teams ever. I'm a 25 years old Bears fan and I still have conversations about the Steel Curtain Steelers. Some things will last forever.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
It's kind of interesting to me as I get older. When I was young, 30 years prior seemed crazy long. That would have been mid-60s, but it was still like 50% of the references people made.

Now I think of simpsons episodes and realize they are like 24 years old at this point and it seems like only a few.

So I get it now, 2005 doesn't seem like that long ago (honestly 2007 seems longer to me than 2005), but man. At some point people need to get over the 85 bears because it seems to make our terrible success since that time easier to take.

Were you alive in 1985? If so, how old were you?

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
People won't ever stop talking about the 85 Bears. It's one of the best teams ever. I'm a 25 years old Bears fan and I still have conversations about the Steel Curtain Steelers. Some things will last forever.

Agreed...this isn't just a local phenomenon...they get brought up nationally almost as often, and will continue to until there is a more dominant, fun, colorful and talented cast of characters on one NFL team.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
It's mostly Bears fans who are 40 and older (especially the older ones) who always do that. In the past few years every time one of these Bears teams would have an elite defense, inevitably some old guy would call the Score or get on Sun-Times or Tribune articles and start rambling about how this team doesn't hold a candle to the '85 team, blah blah blah. STFU Grandpa

I agree with the others. That team was so dominate that it will go down in history as one of the best. It is like the steel curtain, it will always be talked about as one of the best teams of all time, due to the defense and Payton. It deserves to be talked about.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)

Every team that wins a championship gets talked about by their fans forever.

With the 85' Bears it's different. There is this non stop comparison to everything a Bears team does now to that team. Bears have good defense, not as good as 85! Bears have a good running back, not as good as Payton!

That team has hero worship.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)

LOL, let me know the next time a team puts up 2 shut outs in the playoffs and/or outscores their opponents 91-10 in the post season. They were up by 40 when that TD was scored.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
I agree with the others. That team was so dominate that it will go down in history as one of the best. It is like the steel curtain, it will always be talked about as one of the best teams of all time, due to the defense and Payton. It deserves to be talked about.

Then it should be held as such and people should stop comparing current Bears teams to the 85 team. It would be like me comparing the current Sox team to the 2005 team - what's the point?

Reminscing is fine, because I do that with the 2005 team from time to time too, but leave it at that and move on.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
LOL, let me know the next time a team puts up 2 shut outs in the playoffs and/or outscores their opponents 91-10 in the post season. They were up by 40 when that TD was scored.

Guys... there is talking about it...

...and there is talking about it like it happened two months ago.

The first one is ok... that's what sports fans do. The second one is pretty pathetic and embarrassing. More than anything, that is a pretty painful reminder that the team hasn't done s*** in almost 30 years.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
Guys... there is talking about it...

...and there is talking about it like it happened two months ago.

The first one is ok... that's what sports fans do. The second one is pretty pathetic and embarrassing. More than anything, that is a pretty painful reminder that the team hasn't done s*** in almost 30 years.

Yeah, I agree...but can you see the clear demarcation between those that lived through that time and followed that team and those that were too young to remember or were yet to be born?

That team literally was a sports phenomenon...of any sports teams of the last 30 years in major American Professional Sport, that is probably in your top 5 for dominance of their peers, historical dominance, colorful/interesting characters, and cultural relevance. Add to that the coach, the fact that it took place in a major market, and the fact that it was the League's charter franchise, and there you have it.

Yes, we need to stop comparing every Bears team to the '85 team...but expecting people to forget about that year because it was 28 seasons ago or whatever...not going to happen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
Yeah, I agree...but can you see the clear demarcation between those that lived through that time and followed that team and those that were too young to remember or were yet to be born?

That team literally was a sports phenomenon...of any sports teams of the last 30 years in major American Professional Sport, that is probably in your top 5 for dominance of their peers, historical dominance, colorful/interesting characters, and cultural relevance. Add to that the coach, the fact that it took place in a major market, and the fact that it was the League's charter franchise, and there you have it.

Yes, we need to stop comparing every Bears team to the '85 team...but expecting people to forget about that year because it was 28 seasons ago or whatever...not going to happen.

That's not what I'm talking about, though. I mean the type of people who clamor for the Bears to hire (insert name of '85 player) here as a coach just because of the name even though they've got no actual coaching credentials. Or ignore the ones who have coached but actually have a strong track record of failure like Singletary and Rivera, and yes, even Ditka later on. Or, the ones who will intently listen to Jim McMahon's opinion on how Cutler is doing even though he is going senile and says he doesn't watch games... or the inane ramblings of Gale Sayers, who doesn't follow the team either (I know Sayers isn't an '85 Bear, but it's the same phenomenon).

I want to ban all these people from the internet and any interaction with the media.