2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
He is quite literally the only player on the entire Seahawks team that I like. There are guys I'm indifferent too - unless Steven Hauschka practices field goals by kicking kittens, he's a big "who cares" guy - but Russell is the only guy I like.

Who is the Seahawks long snapper? Probably a big jerk.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also think much of Peyton's quoted intelligence comes from the fact that he shreds defenses like a paper shredder. Over the last 10 years, Peyton Manning led teams are 125-35 and his QB rating is 102.9. The one year he was injured and did not play, his team went 2-14. The dude is one of the smartest quarterbacks in NFL history. I don't think anyone has ever said the dude is one of the smartest people in the world, or that he even has average intelligence outside of football. I don't think we have the capability of knowing that.

The only way we know how to judge these guys is based on their reactions, interviews, and actions on the football field. How else are we supposed to judge them, sit down and give them an aptitude test?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
Why isn't it being discussed at length? Because of your first paragraph - Manning didn't run up to Brady, taunt him, tell him to f*** off or something, and then act all insulted when he got a glove to the face. So there's nothing to discuss about Manning there.

So attitude and emotion after a highly charged football game = lack of intelligence? Suddenly he's the only college football player that couldn't have earned his degree?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
I don't think that's the case at all. When you talk like Richard Sherman did at the end of the game - an irrational, psychotic, rambling fool - then people are going to question his intelligence.

I agree with the poster who said Sherman is playing a thug persona, the NFL is in the entertainment business. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 06:33 AM)
For all this talk about his education, I'd be willing to bet that his Stanford communications degree was much more difficult to obtain than Manning's Tennessee communications degree, why isn't that being discussed at length. Manning doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed outside of football.

You might be the first person that I've ever seen say that. From all accounts, he is pretty damn smart outside of football as well. (as well as his brother, now their personalities... yea I'd rather watch paint dry) He is no Alex Smith however. That guy is brilliant.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
I also think much of Peyton's quoted intelligence comes from the fact that he shreds defenses like a paper shredder. Over the last 10 years, Peyton Manning led teams are 125-35 and his QB rating is 102.9. The one year he was injured and did not play, his team went 2-14. The dude is one of the smartest quarterbacks in NFL history. I don't think anyone has ever said the dude is one of the smartest people in the world, or that he even has average intelligence outside of football. I don't think we have the capability of knowing that.

The dude memorized the entire Colts playbook in one week after being drafted. I mean, that's almost unheard of.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 07:52 AM)
I hate wrestling but I agree. I don't get why everyone is so upset. It's a f***ing game. The guy is going to the superbowl and was full of emotion. He didn't swear or use vulgar language. America got to see him come across as an idiot but that's his right. Get over this ultra PC bulls*** our society is ultra-obsessed with nowadays.

It's not about being PC, it's about being a professional. Like it or not, these guys are role models for kids. I wouldn't want my kid acting like a clown after making a big play.

I don't have a problem with him stating his opinion or even naming Crabtree in that interview. But the WWE-style delivery was dumb.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
So attitude and emotion after a highly charged football game = lack of intelligence? Suddenly he's the only college football player that couldn't have earned his degree?

His way of speaking/grammar added to being a football player probably leads to that conclusion for a lot of people. Fair or not.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)

Don't put words in my mouth. I answered your question regarding why no one is talking about Manning at the moment.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
It's not about being PC, it's about being a professional. Like it or not, these guys are role models for kids. I wouldn't want my kid acting like a clown after making a big play.

I don't have a problem with him stating his opinion or even naming Crabtree in that interview. But the WWE-style delivery was dumb.

Me either. Which is why I will teach them respect and humility. But I'm sick and tired of the athletes as role models line. Admire athletes for their physical gifts and skills, but not necessarily for who they are as a human being.

The guy just won the game, was emotional and has a lingering hatred for Jim Harbaugh. Seeing an emotional, violent reaction come from an emotional man following a violent shouldn't be at all surprising.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)
You might be the first person that I've ever seen say that. From all accounts, he is pretty damn smart outside of football as well. (as well as his brother, now their personalities... yea I'd rather watch paint dry) He is no Alex Smith however. That guy is brilliant.

The dude memorized the entire Colts playbook in one week after being drafted. I mean, that's almost unheard of.

There are certain skills a quarterback must have that are quite symptomatic of high intelligence in many different areas. The fact that Manning is probably the most intelligent qb of the modern era goes a long way towards making the argument that he is probably incredibly intelligent in many facets outside of football.

If you watch his interviews, including the way he handles questions and avoids allowing the media to trap him at times, it is also very apparent that this is a very intelligent human being.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Me either. Which is why I will teach them respect and humility. But I'm sick and tired of the athletes as role models line. Admire athletes for their physical gifts and skills, but not necessarily for who they are as a human being.

The guy just won the game, was emotional and has a lingering hatred for Jim Harbaugh. Seeing an emotional, violent reaction come from an emotional man following a violent shouldn't be at all surprising.

Compare Jameis Winston and Richard Sherman's reactions. Winston had a rather violent and emotional postgame speech as a redshirt freshman in college. Nobody (other than Dee Dee McCarron) had any sort of negative reaction to that speech.

This is a good article on Sherman

Richard Sherman can be an asshole. He'll talk and be outspoken. And he'll back it up, too. That's what he does.

The NFL would be better with more Richard Shermans. You hate him because he's not yours. You hate him because he plays for someone else, and would love him if he belonged to your team. He's got personality and skill and the ability to shut down a third of the field every single week. He makes you mad. He makes opponents mad.

But let's not act like some talk is the worst thing in the world. Let's not act like football is a classy game, or that players should always carry themselves with class. Class is bulls***.

We're talking about a game where grown men are trying to knock each other's blocks off. We're talking about a game where players are risking life and limb, and brain function, every week. And some talk -- either during the game or after -- is the tipping point? Come on.

In the world of professional football, a testosterone-filled world, Richard Sherman's words should never be the tipping point. He's not saying anything particularly jarring. He called Crabtree mediocre and said you better come with something better if you want to beat his team -- a team filled with a bunch of scrappy players like him.

This is who Richard Sherman is. He's a smart guy who made it out, went to Stanford, and is now one of the best players in the NFL. He plays with a chip on his shoulder, and probably always will. When he feels disrespected, he makes plays and then lets everyone know he's not one to mess with.

But let's keep criticizing the man, and labeling him, for 30 seconds immediately following a huge play in the biggest game of his life. That sounds rational.

More at link.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
Don't put words in my mouth. I answered your question regarding why no one is talking about Manning at the moment.

You aren't the one who said it, but other people have. They questioned how little Sherman could get away with doing at Stanford to get his education, while every other college football player goes through the same system.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
So that makes it right.

He's in the entertainment business, so I don't see a problem with it. That post was more of a reply to say that it wasn't as big of a WTF moment because it's Sherman.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
Compare Jameis Winston and Richard Sherman's reactions. Winston had a rather violent and emotional postgame speech as a redshirt freshman in college. Nobody (other than Dee Dee McCarron) had any sort of negative reaction to that speech.

Not being snarky, but I'm not sure what your point is?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
This is a good article on Sherman

More at link.

So a Seattle resident who is a Seahawks fan says "NANNER NANNER BOO BOO RICHARD SHERMAN IS AWESOME" and suddenly it's a great read.

Let's be clear - I have no problem with what Sherman does on the field. When the game's over, stop the trash talking bulls*** and talk about your team.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)

Well you can be sick and tired of it, but it won't stop being true. Kids idolize professional athletes and they will mimic their behavior. If you don't want your kids to behave that way, and you use Sherman's interview as a teaching moment, why should it be acceptable in the first place?

And I agree, you can be an asshole off the field all you like. But when you're on the field and on TV after a game, be a professional about it. I don't think that's really a lot to ask of someone.