2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 07:12 PM)
That's not what I'm talking about, though. I mean the type of people who clamor for the Bears to hire (insert name of '85 player) here as a coach just because of the name even though they've got no actual coaching credentials. Or ignore the ones who have coached but actually have a strong track record of failure like Singletary and Rivera, and yes, even Ditka later on. Or, the ones who will intently listen to Jim McMahon's opinion on how Cutler is doing even though he is going senile and says he doesn't watch games... or the inane ramblings of Gale Sayers, who doesn't follow the team either (I know Sayers isn't an '85 Bear, but it's the same phenomenon).

I want to ban all these people from the internet and any interaction with the media.

Exactly this.

Bears are said to have interest in Zach Ertz. Am I the only one (obviously besides the FO) that is thoroughly intrigued by the dynamic of potentially having Marshall, M. Bennett, Jeffery, and Zach Ertz all lined up on the field at the same time? Thats gotta be tough to defend. Defenses would pretty much have to put LBs on Bennett and Ertz which would mean less of a pass rush coming at Jay.

Ertz at 20 is a stretch though, maybe they are looking at him should they be able to trade down.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
Bears are said to have interest in Zach Ertz. Am I the only one (obviously besides the FO) that is thoroughly intrigued by the dynamic of potentially having Marshall, M. Bennett, Jeffery, and Zach Ertz all lined up on the field at the same time? Thats gotta be tough to defend. Defenses would pretty much have to put LBs on Bennett and Ertz which would mean less of a pass rush coming at Jay.

Ertz at 20 is a stretch though, maybe they are looking at him should they be able to trade down.

Or trying to get someone else to trade up to take him

Yeah, this late in the process, you can't buy anything they're selling you. Teams are bringing guys in that they have literally no intention of drafting. It's all mind games at this point.

The Bills have brought in 15 guys who are expected to be drafted in the first round. They know who they want to take with #8. They probably knew a month ago. They still have to do this so they can make sure and prepare for emergency situations, and they also want other teams to be confused as to what they're doing.

Still though, am I the only one who would be intrigued (or even ok) with such a pick? Certainly not at 20 as that's a bit of a reach but if they can manage to trade down and get him I would be absolutely thrilled with the potential identity as a big physical passing team.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)
Still though, am I the only one who would be intrigued (or even ok) with such a pick? Certainly not at 20 as that's a bit of a reach but if they can manage to trade down and get him I would be absolutely thrilled with the potential identity as a big physical passing team.

If they believe this guy is an upgrade over a current starter, then I fully stand by any pick they'll make like that.

That said, I'd prefer a G or LB, but i have no idea whose available. I know nothing about college fball players beside that I thought Jarvis Jones was incredible last year and I dreamed of a LB like him.

They'll probably draft a burner to replace Knox - Hester was supposed to be that guy and was an unmitigated disaster. Someone to put in the slot. Marshall can play in the slot, but as a gimmick, they need somewhere to play full-time. Right now they have all possession guys and nobody who really stretches the field, or draws the safety out of the box. Marshall does his best work underneath. Jeffery is like a mini-Marshall who's slightly less physical and slightly better at getting separation, although Marshall doesn't even really need separation. That was the one thing Knox was really good at, running those 9 routes.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
They'll probably draft a burner to replace Knox - Hester was supposed to be that guy and was an unmitigated disaster. Someone to put in the slot. Marshall can play in the slot, but as a gimmick, they need somewhere to play full-time. Right now they have all possession guys and nobody who really stretches the field, or draws the safety out of the box. Marshall does his best work underneath. Jeffery is like a mini-Marshall who's slightly less physical and slightly better at getting separation, although Marshall doesn't even really need separation. That was the one thing Knox was really good at, running those 9 routes.

And then dropping the ball or falling down and letting the other team intercept

Lost,

Jefferey has enough speed to stretch the field (hes put up sub 4.4), so I dont think it would make sense to draft a wr in the first round.

Id be fine with Ertz or Eiffel (whatever the ND guys name is). I really think that a good/great TE can have a large impact on the offensive line, because it makes the other team think. When you have a guy like Kellen Davis, no one cares. They arent telling lbs/de to chip him, to worry about him. But once you have a real TE threat, it makes the other defense have to respect that position, which can often times relieve some pressure on the OL.

I think the Bears could go in a lot of directions, I just think WR is one of the least likely. You can find speedy undersized wrs later in the draft because most teams arent going to use a 1st on them.

I'm of the opinion that one of the biggest waste of resources is any pick in the top 2 rounds for a receiver when you already have a dependable #1. Depending upon what type of receiver you #1 is, you can find compliementary players to work around him. If you have a guy like Mike Wallace, find guys who run quick, crisp routes. If you have a guy like Brandon Marshall, get a guy who can stretch the field.

WR's are just so hit or miss that spending a ton of money on them seems to be an inefficient use of resources.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
Lost,

Jefferey has enough speed to stretch the field (hes put up sub 4.4), so I dont think it would make sense to draft a wr in the first round.

Id be fine with Ertz or Eiffel (whatever the ND guys name is). I really think that a good/great TE can have a large impact on the offensive line, because it makes the other team think. When you have a guy like Kellen Davis, no one cares. They arent telling lbs/de to chip him, to worry about him. But once you have a real TE threat, it makes the other defense have to respect that position, which can often times relieve some pressure on the OL.

I think the Bears could go in a lot of directions, I just think WR is one of the least likely. You can find speedy undersized wrs later in the draft because most teams arent going to use a 1st on them.

He's in the upper 4.4s - he's not slow, but he doesn't have breakneck speed either. That was a big concern going into the draft he had to answer and probably hurt his draft stock, along with concerns about his weight and motivation (turned out to be unfounded). He's a first-round talent though. But you're right, you can find a guy on the second or third day for the role the Bears need. But ideally you'd like to be able to flip that guy out to flanker once in a while and bring Marshall or Jeffery into the slot from time to time.

This dude can make all kinda cool trick field goals out in a field somewhere in Norway. Let's see how good he is a kicking field goals with 70,000 people in the stands and 300 pound lineman attacking you.