2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
So what if one of the teams is a dome built team, and the other is a power running team that benefits from being outside? The field isn't playing neutral at that point.

I think playing indoors or perfect weather conditions is neutral. Both teams would be able to be at their best with the given conditions. The running team might lose it's advantage without bad weather, but that wouldn't be neutral. The benefit the running team loses from not being outside is the increase in ability of it's opponent, not a decrease in their offensive performance.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)
So what if one of the teams is a dome built team, and the other is a power running team that benefits from being outside? The field isn't playing neutral at that point.

I mean, sure. But that's a lot more neutral then "and there is 50 mph winds and sleet".

Even if you're Green Bay, between road games and early season games, you play well over half your games in good weather conditions. You can't build a team that relies on having adverse weather to win and expect to be successful. Every team has to be able to win in good weather in order to reach the Super Bowl. Not every team has to be able to win in bad weather to reach the Super Bowl.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:58 PM)
I'm quite curious what's going to happen to the Bears' defensive scheme. It would seem a 3-4 is becoming more likely, but both of these coaches have plenty of experience in 4-3 defense so I still wouldn't look too much into it. Regardless, Trestman/Emery aren't helping us figure it out.

I'm sure we'll just be more multiple next year. That's basically how it is in the NFL anyway. It seems like "being multiple" has been the hot catch-phrase for coaches the last couple years, and I'm sure Trestman will say the same generic coach-speak when it comes to it.

Emery said in an interview on the radio that he envisioned the Bears to have a "hybrid" defense similar to the Patriots where they could go from 2 to 5 players with their hands down with the same personnel. He compared McClelland to Ninkovich (LW Central grad) where he would be all over the place depending on the defense called.

I think they are going to a match up type defense instead of the current defense where it is very basic and they just rely on the players to stay in their gap beat the other players.

Emery said in an interview on the radio that he envisioned the Bears to have a "hybrid" defense similar to the Patriots where they could go from 2 to 5 players with their hands down with the same personnel. He compared McClelland to Ninkovich (LW Central grad) where he would be all over the place depending on the defense called.

I think they are going to a match up type defense instead of the current defense where it is very basic and they just rely on the players to stay in their gap beat the other players.

New England's defense was 26th in 2013. I'd like to set the bar a bit higher. How about a defense like Seattle's?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
New England's defense was 26th in 2013. I'd like to set the bar a bit higher. How about a defense like Seattle's?

I thought the Pats had a ton of injuries on defense this past year. But I see what you're saying. I'd try to emulate some of the NFC West teams on defense.

I think this is going to be a big concern for Denver. They just haven't seen a fast and physical defense like Seattle's. Comparing the two games this past weekend, it looked like the AFC game was being played in slow motion.

While the Broncos have very impressive talents at the receiver position, they don't have players who specialize in making contested catches. Welker, Julius Thomas, Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker can absorb big hits and hold onto the ball, but none relish contact the way the Seahawks defensive backs do. Of the Broncos main receivers, Demaryius Thomas is the least reliable when trying to make contested catches or fight through physical coverage.

Thomas is 6-foot-3 and well over 200 pounds. He has as much athletic ability as almost any receiver in the NFL. However, he is not a very physical receiver. His athleticism gives him the ability to adjust to the ball in the air and make plays against tight coverage when the defensive back is notably smaller than him. His mentality makes those occasions rarer than they should be, especially against better, bigger defensive backs. Even when Thomas was challenged by average defensive backs during the regular season, he too often gave up position on the ball without much of a fight.

Against Washington's DeAngelo Hall, Thomas was responsible for two interceptions.

link

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)

10th in points allowed. I thought NE had a pretty good defense this year considering how many injuries they had.

Clint Hurtt is reportedly joining the Bears' defensive staff. I imagine he'll be the assistant d-line coach. This is actually a pretty decent hire. And I found it to be interesting because if any of you follow college football, then you probably know him from his involvement in the sanctions at The U.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Louisv...ago-Bears-staff

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
Even if you're Green Bay, between road games and early season games, you play well over half your games in good weather conditions. You can't build a team that relies on having adverse weather to win and expect to be successful. Every team has to be able to win in good weather in order to reach the Super Bowl. Not every team has to be able to win in bad weather to reach the Super Bowl.

Not to mention, no one builds their team around playing in bad weather. You build a winning football team, period. GB barely plays in bad weather and if they built a team around that, they wouldn't have Aaron Rodgers at QB, presumably.

And do you really know the difference between a good bad weather player and bad bad weather player? The whole "Bears defense, cold, GRRRRR, Bear weather" thing is just made up by fans. Emery is not building anything based on possible bad weather for a few games in December.

Whoever is on the Score right now brought this up- I didn't know there was a Spanish interview prior to the one everyone has heard 1 million times since Sunday, or about a commercial filmed beforehand that kind of feels like a prequel to all of the festivities.

Prior to Erin Andrews Sherman interview,

I would't be surprised at all if there was something to it. The tone of Andrews' followup question struck me as kind of curious to begin with, finding out about a nearly identical rant and a commercial filmed in advance that touches on some of those themes makes for some fun speculation.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)
Clint Hurtt is reportedly joining the Bears' defensive staff. I imagine he'll be the assistant d-line coach. This is actually a pretty decent hire. And I found it to be interesting because if any of you follow college football, then you probably know him from his involvement in the sanctions at The U.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Louisv...ago-Bears-staff

the guy was a terrible d-line coach at Miami. The only thing he could do was "recruit". It's amazing how Louisville didnt catch any sanctions with him there because to get all those south Florida kids to Louisville he had to have been very shady.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
Opinion - a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Thus, you believe that Sherman is an idiot. That's the entire point of this conversation. You think Sherman is stupid and lacks intelligence. That's why you are calling him an idiot.

Just because you continue to condescending repeat things I've never said does not suddenly make it seem like I said those things. You are trying way too hard to try and put words in my mouth, it's perplexing.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 11:13 PM)
Just because you continue to condescending repeat things I've never said does not suddenly make it seem like I said those things. You are trying way too hard to try and put words in my mouth, it's perplexing.

I am quoting things you say. That's the exact OPPOSITE of putting words in your mouth.