2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
No I think they all know when players are in trouble, but if you look at the list of arrests or the article above there wasn't a whole lot of special treatment above what is typically seen around. At Miami Ben had a video guy following him around that I'd alot of the coordination for the program. At OSU under Tress, the strength coach did the babysitting.

Florida arrests

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-0...anor-possession

Frankly I think the tenure at Florida and the type of kids he brought into the program was a learning experience for Meyer. We've seen a much better class of kid so far recruited and meanwhile Florida already has 4 arrests this year which is actually on pace for more than during Meyer's tenure.

That's the thing, I'm not arguing against Urban Meyer in general, just Urban Meyer at Florida. He brought in apparently the greatest person since Mother Theresa to play QB for him, but there were a ton of s***head thugs all over that team. He actually came into a dirty program this time, so keeping it clean and checking character concerns would seem to be pretty important.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)
That's the thing, I'm not arguing against Urban Meyer in general, just Urban Meyer at Florida. He brought in apparently the greatest person since Mother Theresa to play QB for him, but there were a ton of s***head thugs all over that team. He actually came into a dirty program this time, so keeping it clean and checking character concerns would seem to be pretty important.

Florida programs in general seem to have issues. Everyone points to the arrests made during his tenure but it hasnt stopped with him leaving. At the same time Miami is being investigated and FSU is coming off of sanctions that seemed to have cleared out some of the bad apples. All colleges are going to have kids in trouble, however in the world of top notch college football, the character seems to be worse and the coverups rampant.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
Amount of arrests wouldn't seem to be a way to evaluate a guy who we believe was preventing players from arrest/facing charges

Why? The amount of arrests was very high.

Had to check it, 5 arrests so far this year for Florida. So they are still on pace.

Edited by RockRaines

At the end of the day, NFL teams are professional organizations that poke and probe these draft prospects and have unlimited funds available to perform background checks. The report out of college was that Hernandez was at the bottom of the barrel on maturity and the Pats still took him. The guy had behavioral problems while employed and they gave him an extension.

If this wasn't the Pats and wasn't based down the road from ESPN I'm sure they wouldn't be trying to place blame on anyone in the players past.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
Why? The amount of arrests was very high.

Had to check it, 5 arrests so far this year for Florida. So they are still on pace.

Wouldn't that just be evidence that Urban was better at preventing these things from coming out than the current regime?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
Wouldn't that just be evidence that Urban was better at preventing these things from coming out than the current regime?

Maybe, this is the time when kids get in trouble so it looks like it hasn't dropped off much. During the season supposedly it's a lot easier to keep them out of trouble (Ben had a guy year round looking after him)

Hernandez's issues in college were well known. There were several teams that wouldn't have taken him under any circumstance. Meyer spoke up for him with NE which got him drafted, and for the most part he and the Patriots were good at hiding the trouble he was still causing until this. While Meyer probably didn't do enough in retrospect, he did about as much as any coach does with troubled players that help them win games. Putting any blame on Meyer for Hernandez's behavior is silly. Florida could have trumped Meyer and done something. The Patriots could have done something, but would that have stopped him from ultimately doing what he did? There may have been a different victim or victims, but they still would have existed.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 04:26 AM)
So I just got Into an argument with a girl my friend is trying to bang. Urlacher is not worth paying, yes?

He isn't worth paying but really is it worth arguing over and blocking your friend from her lol.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 08:02 AM)
He isn't worth paying but really is it worth arguing over and blocking your friend from her lol.

I used the term friend pretty loosely haha. I couldn't believe nobody would agree with me, even behind her back. I felt like I was taking crazy pills.

The responsibility ultimately falls to Hernandez, but when everyone knows a kid has issues, it should be impossible for him to get through all these different coaches (HS, college, NFL) without somebody putting it to an end. The older he gets, the harder it is for it to stop. If one of those coaches put their foot down about what he was doing and who he was with, lives may have been saved. Maybe not. What nobody is sure about is whether people like Urban even tried. I don't know.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
The responsibility ultimately falls to Hernandez, but when everyone knows a kid has issues, it should be impossible for him to get through all these different coaches (HS, college, NFL) without somebody putting it to an end. The older he gets, the harder it is for it to stop. If one of those coaches put their foot down about what he was doing and who he was with, lives may have been saved. Maybe not. What nobody is sure about is whether people like Urban even tried. I don't know.

The problem is...even if people try, sometimes it doesn't work. Particularly if a guy has enough money to make problems go away, which for the last few years has been the case with Hernandez.

Given that it seems like this isn't the first time he's killed someone while a Patriot, I'd say there's a good chance that the Patriots staff had no idea what was going on. They may have thought he had the help he needed, or they may have just been willing to look the other way for some things while having no idea what was really happening.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
The problem is...even if people try, sometimes it doesn't work. Particularly if a guy has enough money to make problems go away, which for the last few years has been the case with Hernandez.

Given that it seems like this isn't the first time he's killed someone while a Patriot, I'd say there's a good chance that the Patriots staff had no idea what was going on. They may have thought he had the help he needed, or they may have just been willing to look the other way for some things while having no idea what was really happening.

I was thinking more in terms of whether or not Urban Meyer deserves blame since most people seem to not be looking at the Pats. s***ty people are s***ty, but what I wonder is if anyone ever leveraged his future against him when he was 18-19-20-21 years old. I'm not saying nobody did, but I don't know. He also didn't have money to make his problems go away when he was in college, but we wonder if he had the talent to make it go away.

I think the thing we learn from this is that part of the point of sports is that you try to make young men and women into good humans, not let them leverage their talent against you as you try to keep them out of trouble. Once they are getting paid, it is almost always too late. When they're still trying to get into school, trying to make it to the pros, they actually have reason to listen to their leaders.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
I used the term friend pretty loosely haha. I couldn't believe nobody would agree with me, even behind her back. I felt like I was taking crazy pills.

If you can't spot the meathead within 10 minutes of talking about the Bears, then you are the meathead.

I love arguing the morality of anyone involved in football. At this point to me, if there's smoke there is fire.

Also, my favorite part of this coverage is the headline ESPN ran about how Tebow told Aaron Hernandez to avoid a barfight in college. Tebow is the savior!

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 08:54 PM)
I love arguing the morality of anyone involved in football. At this point to me, if there's smoke there is fire.

Also, my favorite part of this coverage is the headline ESPN ran about how Tebow told Aaron Hernandez to avoid a barfight in college. Tebow is the savior!

Maybe he should also have told him not to kill people.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)
Jaws has ranked his QBs from 32-15 so far and still no Cutler. That's encouraging.

What if he's not even on the list? :lol:

Jaws likes Cutler, that much I do know.

They should have Gruden do one of these lists. Everybody would be #1.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
What if he's not even on the list? :lol:

Jaws likes Cutler, that much I do know.

They should have Gruden do one of these lists. Everybody would be #1.

An entire list of "This Guy...."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-f...n-one-last-time

People always throw out weird stuff surrounding their death ("When I die I want blah blah blah") but you rarely see people follow through on it. Not Scott E. Entsminger, a Browns fan who died at the age of 55 on July 4.

Entsminger "was an accomplished musician, loved playing the guitar and was a member of the Old Fogies Band." He was also, per his obituary in the Columbus Dispatch, a "lifelong Cleveland Browns fan and season ticket holder."

The deceased wasn't just your average Browns fan: He apparently wrote a song each year about the Browns, which he sent to the team along with advice about how to run the organization.

And he was such a big Browns fan that the family encouraged everyone attending his funeral wear clothes supporting the team. But here's the real kicker -- he wanted his pallbearers to be Browns as well.

Why? Well ...

"He respectfully requests six Cleveland Browns pall bearers so the Browns can let him down one last time."

Oh, Browns. You even managed to get beat by the deceased.

So.....am I the only one that thinks the Hernandez reaction has been a bit premature? The jersey buy-backs, the digging into his past in Florida, and now EA Sports is getting rid of him in their games. I mean, I get he's like 99.9% guilty if what we hear is true and admissible, but can't we just wait until the trial? Why didn't people react this way when Ray Lewis was killing people throwing away a new suit for a perfectly legit reason after getting into a bar fight resulting in a man's death?