2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
So.....am I the only one that thinks the Hernandez reaction has been a bit premature? The jersey buy-backs, the digging into his past in Florida, and now EA Sports is getting rid of him in their games. I mean, I get he's like 99.9% guilty if what we hear is true and admissible, but can't we just wait until the trial? Why didn't people react this way when Ray Lewis was killing people throwing away a new suit for a perfectly legit reason after getting into a bar fight resulting in a man's death?

I do think there's a fair amount of not presuming him innocent, but you really can't here. This is just short of having video of Hernandez eating the man's heart.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I find most amazing about all of this is the amount of dirt that has come out with strings attached to Hernandez after the fact. It's just amazing that one alleged murder can unbury this many potential skeletons.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
What I find most amazing about all of this is the amount of dirt that has come out with strings attached to Hernandez after the fact. It's just amazing that one alleged murder can unbury this many potential skeletons.

His 2 friends rolling over on him quick and the apartment full of evidence probably did that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
His 2 friends rolling over on him quick and the apartment full of evidence probably did that.

But the Patriots erased him from their records the day he was charged. Some of that stuff wasn't even public knowledge yet (unless I missed the news reports about it).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
But the Patriots erased him from their records the day he was charged. Some of that stuff wasn't even public knowledge yet (unless I missed the news reports about it).

The Patriots cut him for the murder charge, that seems fair, particularly given that it seems he's had off the field "issues" in the past. Did they immediately start the jersey exchange or did they wait a couple days?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
The Patriots cut him for the murder charge, that seems fair, particularly given that it seems he's had off the field "issues" in the past. Did they immediately start the jersey exchange or did they wait a couple days?

I don't remember.

But Ray Lewis wasn't cut. And he had many off the field issues before his murder charge. He just got his friends to bail him out and take the heat for him.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

You sure are speculating about the Ray Lewis case. Nothing that I have ever read or seen on that case directly links him to the murder. In fact the case was so weak, no one was ever convicted of murder and I believe Lewis (due to a plea) was the only one convicted of ANYTHING.

So unless you have some other evidence it really is not comparable, because there is no doubt that a melee happened and that both sides were fighting, there is just no direct evidence that Lewis actually killed them.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/01/24/5...s-murder-trial/

4. The murders were never solved – This is written a lot, along with something to the effect that no other suspects were ever arrested. It doesn’t seem to be in dispute that Oakley and Sweeting killed Baker and Lollar. The jury found that it was self defense after only a few hours of deliberation.

So that would probably be why Lewis was treated differently.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
You sure are speculating about the Ray Lewis case. Nothing that I have ever read or seen on that case directly links him to the murder. In fact the case was so weak, no one was ever convicted of murder and I believe Lewis (due to a plea) was the only one convicted of ANYTHING.

So unless you have some other evidence it really is not comparable, because there is no doubt that a melee happened and that both sides were fighting, there is just no direct evidence that Lewis actually killed them.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/01/24/5...s-murder-trial/

So that would probably be why Lewis was treated differently.

He was still charged. And the Ravens did nothing. This case is obviously more of a slam dunk, but I dunno, seems like we're putting the cart before the horse here, as society tends to do.

Edit: and OJ was innocent too right? Too much circumstantial evidence for me to just let Lewis go on a lesser charge. Add to that he paid out settlements to the family and you know he was involved. Maybe he didn't stab the guys, but he was involved and covered it up to protect himself.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)

Once all of his actions were made public they did. And then they turned the PR machine on which has successfully deflected 100% of the news away from the Pats. Remember, this was the team that did background checks, drafted him, made him a millionaire and then EXTENDED his contract. Very good organization at doing damage control.

What I wonder is whether the NFL has so many deplorable characters a simple product of numbers (lots of guys on NFL rosters) or if the game just happens to attract bad guys.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
What I wonder is whether the NFL has so many deplorable characters a simple product of numbers (lots of guys on NFL rosters) or if the game just happens to attract bad guys.

It's a product of numbers.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 06:06 PM)
It's a product of numbers.

There have been 27 active players arrested this offseason. That's 1.6% of the league in one offseason. Not exactly the same number, but the incarceration rate in the U.S. is 0.74% of the population.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
He was still charged. And the Ravens did nothing. This case is obviously more of a slam dunk, but I dunno, seems like we're putting the cart before the horse here, as society tends to do.

Edit: and OJ was innocent too right? Too much circumstantial evidence for me to just let Lewis go on a lesser charge. Add to that he paid out settlements to the family and you know he was involved. Maybe he didn't stab the guys, but he was involved and covered it up to protect himself.

OJ?

This is more comparable to Zimmerman/Martin. There is no circumstantial evidence that Ray Lewis was even involved in the fight. The evidence is that Lewis tried to stop the fight and when he could not, destroyed evidence because he didnt want to ruin his career.

He flipped and helped the prosecution with their case against his friends. Even with Lewis testifying against the defendants the jury found that the murder was justified due to self defense.

And putting the cart before what horse? The Patriots can do whatever they want. If Hernandez is found not guilty and signs with the Jets and beats the Patriots, thats their risk. Why do I really care if the Patriots fire a guy who is being charged with murder, unlike Lewis he is in jail. He cant really come to practice or help out with the team, so why would you keep him?

It just makes no sense to compare these cases. A better comparison would be Rae Carruth, who was released after he failed to turn himself in.

Hell Leonard Little actually killed someone and went on to have an 11 year career. Each team treats each case differently, but I dont really see a reason to get after Lewis for obstruction of justice. I think a lot of people have done that in their life, its just a natural reaction to s*** going down.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)

Compared to other sports? I would guess the population that produces NFL players as well as NBA players (yes I consider them both bad) tends to be from areas that are impoverished.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
There have been 27 active players arrested this offseason. That's 1.6% of the league in one offseason. Not exactly the same number, but the incarceration rate in the U.S. is 0.74% of the population.

and how do those numbers look for MLB/NBA/NHL

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:12 PM)
OJ?

This is more comparable to Zimmerman/Martin. There is no circumstantial evidence that Ray Lewis was even involved in the fight. The evidence is that Lewis tried to stop the fight and when he could not, destroyed evidence because he didnt want to ruin his career.

He flipped and helped the prosecution with their case against his friends. Even with Lewis testifying against the defendants the jury found that the murder was justified due to self defense.

And putting the cart before what horse? The Patriots can do whatever they want. If Hernandez is found not guilty and signs with the Jets and beats the Patriots, thats their risk. Why do I really care if the Patriots fire a guy who is being charged with murder, unlike Lewis he is in jail. He cant really come to practice or help out with the team, so why would you keep him?

It just makes no sense to compare these cases. A better comparison would be Rae Carruth, who was released after he failed to turn himself in.

Hell Leonard Little actually killed someone and went on to have an 11 year career. Each team treats each case differently, but I dont really see a reason to get after Lewis for obstruction of justice. I think a lot of people have done that in their life, its just a natural reaction to s*** going down.

They were both charged with murder. One team allowed the investigation to finish, the other did not. That's all that needs to be compared here. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, just that it's interesting how quickly people are erasing Hernandez from things before he even appeared in court (or maybe like A day later).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)

A fair number of these guys have been seen as gods since the age of 16. They can get anything they want. They learn to think they're above the rules, because for a lot of their life they have been. It makes sense that that would lead to higher arrest rates.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 06:28 PM)
A fair number of these guys have been seen as gods since the age of 16. They can get anything they want. They learn to think they're above the rules, because for a lot of their life they have been. It makes sense that that would lead to higher arrest rates.

The actual "arrest" rate took a little more searching but people seem to say its' closer to 4% nationwide.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:19 PM)
They were both charged with murder. One team allowed the investigation to finish, the other did not. That's all that needs to be compared here. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, just that it's interesting how quickly people are erasing Hernandez from things before he even appeared in court (or maybe like A day later).

I don't think it can be underestimated how much social media and current technology played in this. Hernandez basically left a breadcrumb trail leading to his front door. Who knows how it would have played out for Lewis if the infamous white suit was found because of a street/merchant camera or if a text was found where Lewis implicated himself or the murdered guy called someone and said he was going after Ray.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
The actual "arrest" rate took a little more searching but people seem to say its' closer to 4% nationwide.

That's not accounting for any incidents with NFL players that get covered up.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:19 PM)

1 player is currently in jail without bond.

1 player was out on bond.

Itd be much more interesting if we were comparing a player who was going to potentially miss game time due to being in jail. Im not sure I can name a player who has remained on a team while he has been in jail (convicted or not.)

Not many employers are going to be cool with you not showing up to work for the following:

"Sorry cant show up to work, currently in jail without bond, will be back eventually"

Do they really need to wait for the trial to finish before they realize im not helping them?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:36 PM)
1 player is currently in jail without bond.

1 player was out on bond.

Itd be much more interesting if we were comparing a player who was going to potentially miss game time due to being in jail. Im not sure I can name a player who has remained on a team while he has been in jail (convicted or not.)

Not many employers are going to be cool with you not showing up to work for the following:

"Sorry cant show up to work, currently in jail without bond, will be back eventually"

Do they really need to wait for the trial to finish before they realize im not helping them?

They released him before he was ever arraigned, shortly after he was arrested.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-f...related-charges

I'm not saying he should be on the team through his trial, but I do think a lot of this was reaction to the rumors and reports and not actual facts that were known. The same sort of patience didn't apply here as it did in Lewis' case which, in the same way, was very damning in terms of rumor and reports about Lewis' involvement. Again, not saying it's right or wrong, the Patriots can do whatever they want. I just find it interesting.