Miguel Olivo

DonkeyKongerko

Guest hotsoxchick1
Did anyone notice Miguel Olivo looked like he had half of a clue at the plate these past couple nights?  I hope I don't jinx anything but I saw Miguel lay off a significant number of low breaking balls during this series.

dont be dissing on my boy..... its not miguels fault if the dumbass pitcher doesnt do what is called....... ;) :D

Did anyone notice Miguel Olivo looked like he had half of a clue at the plate these past couple nights?  I hope I don't jinx anything but I saw Miguel lay off a significant number of low breaking balls during this series.

All i know is this kid is a lethal weapon behind the plate. If he can do any hitting at ALL, its a plus. Im sure he will.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Miguel's got some great speed as well, evidenced when he beat out that bunt 2 games ago against the Angels. How many catchers in the big leagues have his speed?

:stupid

none.......not like miguels that is......speed and a rocket arm to boot... ;)

A good-hitting team can afford to carry a catcher who doesn't hit AS well, if he can call a good game and throw runners out.

This is supposed to be ( and CAN be ) a very good-hitting team, and Olivo can do everything you want defensively.

So even if he doesn't hit ( and I still think he'll be a solid .250-.260 guy with a little pop ), he's valuable to have around.

Just keep a veteran backup ( like Sandy ) around for spot duty and you have a nice combination behind the plate.

Do u think we got the better part of that deal with Oakland with Chad Bradford goin over to them. If Olivo develops, (which he should) into a .260 hitter who can steal about 20 bases and use that cannon of his, then I think we came out on top for this one.

:cheers

Guest Ncorgbl

Barring injury, Olivo will be one of the players we will build around soon. Fisk, who everyone measures against for the Sox had a .269 lifetime average, and his best year with us he hit .293. I think Olivo will outdo Pudge, and is better defensively already. Last night, uniform dirty, hit in the head, throwing out runners, and going balls out into third, he just struck me as a kid loving every moment of his play. This guy is going to be a star. I really think he's that good.

Do u think we got the better part of that deal with Oakland with Chad Bradford goin over to them. If Olivo develops, (which he should) into a .260 hitter who can steal about 20 bases and use that cannon of his, then I think we came out on top for this one.

:cheers

If Olivo hits .260 with his defense, we trounced Oakland in this deal. Even so with Miguels defense and the fact that all we gave up was a 6 inning type set up man, we win this deal anyway IMO.

if olivo hits like .240 with 20 HR's I think we win this deal... He isnt someone who we are DEPENDING on producing for us.. actually its more like a pleasant suprise when you see him doing good... His defense is awesome, thats what we need the most from him.. I think he is gonna be real good

Hey guys, do not underestimate the value of Chad Bradford to the Oakland A's. He's THE guy out of their bullpen and has been for years. Forget Koch and Foulke. When the A's need that one big out in a ballgame, it's Bradford that gets the call.

However, for our purposes, I like the deal. A good catcher his so damn hard to come by.