Mail delivery to 5 days

Soxfest

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 06:26 PM)
Does that 20% of the population only accept mail on Saturdays?

No, I'm saying that if the USPS were a private company, it would make no sense to have delivery outside of population centers.

The USPS is required by law to deliver to everyone. If they were a private company and able to make that decision, then people in rural areas would receive mail rarely, once every few weeks, if at all.

Fedex and UPS don't even try to serve a lot of those areas, they just contract with the USPS since the USPS is going there anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 05:32 PM)
No, I'm saying that if the USPS were a private company, it would make no sense to have delivery outside of population centers.

The USPS is required by law to deliver to everyone. If they were a private company and able to make that decision, then people in rural areas would receive mail rarely, once every few weeks, if at all.

Fedex and UPS don't even try to serve a lot of those areas, they just contract with the USPS since the USPS is going there anyway.

Gotcha. I wasn't necessarily proposing the privatization of USPS. All things considered, they do a pretty good job IMO with the regular mail. I was inferring that a private company would have realized they were hemorrhaging money due to a non-essential service years ago, and would have stopped the bleeding much quicker.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 06:37 PM)
Gotcha. I wasn't necessarily proposing the privatization of USPS. All things considered, they do a pretty good job IMO with the regular mail. I was inferring that a private company would have realized they were hemorrhaging money due to a non-essential service years ago, and would have stopped the bleeding much quicker.

(This isn't actually why they're losing money. They're losing money because Congress passed a law a few years ago requiring them to pre-fund their pension plan out to 75 years by 2016, something that I'm pretty sure no one has to do anywhere. Without that enormous pension pre-funding, the USPS would actually be operating at a profit right now, despite being required to maintain saturday delivery and maintaining unprofitable post offices throughout the country in rural areas).

They are the envy of most of the world. Cheap, honest, delivery everywhere. Under a buck for delivery from NY to LA is easy. You can fill a plane with all the mail. Under a buck Granjenos, TX to Wahpotin, ND for under a buck? Amazing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
(This isn't actually why they're losing money. They're losing money because Congress passed a law a few years ago requiring them to pre-fund their pension plan out to 75 years by 2016, something that I'm pretty sure no one has to do anywhere. Without that enormous pension pre-funding, the USPS would actually be operating at a profit right now, despite being required to maintain saturday delivery and maintaining unprofitable post offices throughout the country in rural areas).

The State of Illinois is required by law to fund my pension. Oh wait.... they haven't contributed in 10 years.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
The State private citizens of Illinois is required by law are going to fund my pension. Oh wait.... they haven't contributed in 10 years.

...and that's exactly what will happen.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 06:28 PM)
...and that's exactly what will happen.

Yep, and you'll get the services you pay for. You wonder why The University of Illinois won't accept students from the state. And it is required by law but it's a law they decide to ignore which is why the system is in the position it is.

The private citizens will not pay for my pension, at least not much of it. It's going to come down to me having to pay more and get less. At times I'm really happy I work for the people in this state.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 06:37 PM)
Might as well have USPS Mailbox stores. Require people outside of city centers to have PO Boxes.

This is pretty common in small towns. My town is about 1000 people and we don't have mail delivery. We have to go to the PO every day to get our mail. The nice thing is that first class is required to be in the box by 9:00 AM.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)
This is pretty common in small towns. My town is about 1000 people and we don't have mail delivery. We have to go to the PO every day to get our mail. The nice thing is that first class is required to be in the box by 9:00 AM.

Yeah, that's the same way it works in Idaho where my wife used to live. Anytime we try to send cards out there, it's always a PO Box.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)

And would a private company have such a pension plan? :lol:

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 09:01 PM)
they won't pay mine either :(

Yes, but you don't work for them. I theoretically do, even though the state is 120 days behind in paying our payroll.

This is why the state university system cannot keep students in state.