Schilling: Red Sox urged me to use PEDs

Steve9347

Curt Schilling Says Red Sox Officials Urged Him to Use PEDs

"At the end of my career, in 2008 when I had gotten hurt, there was a conversation that I was involved in in which is was brought to my attention that this is a potential path I might want to pursue," Schilling told Colin Cowherd.

Asked for more details, Schilling said the conversation occurred in the clubhouse and involved "former members of the organization - they're no longer there. It was an incredibly uncomfortable conversation. Because it came up in the midst of a group of people. The other people weren't in the conversation but they could clearly hear the conversation. And it was suggested to me that at my age and in my situation, why not? What did I have to lose? Because if I wasn't going to get healthy, it didn't matter. And if I did get healthy, great."

Much more at link. Rather incriminating to the BoSox and potentially some of the foos in charge of the Cubs.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)
The Sabermetric way of doing things trumpeted by guys like Theo and Billy Beane looks more and more like a great cover for PED usage.

One of my favorite lines in Moneyball, paraphrased, talks about how a kid might grow into power, after all, Giambi did it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 07:53 AM)
One of my favorite lines in Moneyball, paraphrased, talks about how a kid might grow into power, after all, Giambi did it.

The bigger a player gets, the more careful a pitcher is to not throw meatballs down the plate, the higher the OBP goes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 07:53 AM)

Except that this is a foundationally true theory of scouting within baseball. Doubles --> Homers.

-Between the ages of 20 and 21, Jim Thome hit 10 homers in 698 plate appearances. He hit 25 in 497 as a 22 year old in AAA.

-In 804 minor league plate appearances, including his rehab stint in 2005, Frank Thomas hit 24 homers.

Increased power != steroids

Stick figure to hulking monstrosity ~= steroids