King Felix gets massive extension

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
Obviously that's a huge risk for any pitcher but outside of Verlander, Felix is the most worthy to receive a contract like this.

He turns 27 this April, so effectively, he's under contract from 27-33. Those are the years I'd pay for.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
This joke would be funny if Mike Illitch didn't have made cheddar and clearly enjoy spending it on his professional sports franchises.

And the Yankees don't?

Don't get me wrong I'd love for the Tigers to sign him to a ridiculous contract and have it haunt them for the next decade with Price and Miggy's deals. Paying $20 million + to players way past their primes...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
He turns 27 this April, so effectively, he's under contract from 27-33. Those are the years I'd pay for.

I don't know if that same age applies to Felix...he's been pitching an awful lot of major league ball for 8 years now...just from my cursory observations, it seems like guys that start in mlb that young tend to wear down a bit more than those who start at more customary ages.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)
I don't know if that same age applies to Felix...he's been pitching an awful lot of major league ball for 8 years now...just from my cursory observations, it seems like guys that start in mlb that young tend to wear down a bit more than those who start at more customary ages.

Not trying to call you wrong...just wondering...who you thinkin' of? King Felix was in the MLB at what, 19?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
Not trying to call you wrong...just wondering...who you thinkin' of? King Felix was in the MLB at what, 19?

I know I've thought about this before...probably just need to look at a list of the most recent mlb stars that begun at very young ages...but the two that came to mind right away were Jr and Arod...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
I know I've thought about this before...probably just need to look at a list of the most recent mlb stars that begun at very young ages...but the two that came to mind right away were Jr and Arod...

Of course, my immediate response on those two is..."King Felix wasn't slamming into fences and hopefully wasn't finding random people to shove needles into his buttocks".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
Of course, my immediate response on those two is..."King Felix wasn't slamming into fences and hopefully wasn't finding random people to shove needles into his buttocks".

True...but he has been an absolute horse his entire career.